German WWII Marked plane down at KCGZ

"The plane, which has the appearance of a small Nazi Germany World War II-era aircraft including a swastika, was trying to land at the airport and ran off the runway, coming to a rest on its belly."

The writer wasn't biased at all. :frown2:

tail swastikas can do that I guess….

So do we know the cause? I’m guessing the pilot did NOT-SEE his landing gear was up.

Pilot was lucky to walk away from this plane Reich…
(Baddoom boom)

"The plane, which has the appearance of a small Nazi Germany World War II-era aircraft including a swastika, was trying to land at the airport and ran off the runway, coming to a rest on its belly."

The writer wasn't biased at all. :frown2:

That seems to be a statement of fact, it's a pretty accurate description of the livery.

I’m not sure the reporter was making an issue about the Swastika. Just an observation. They are banned in Germany though.

Everyone said the landing looked pretty Guderian right until things got Iron Crosswise.

Last edited:
I’m not sure the reporter was making an issue about the Swastika. Just an observation. They are banned in Germany though.
As I've mentioned in past postings, I have no objections to accurate markings on historic aircraft. And these would qualify. I'm a bit more leery of putting swastikas on subscale replicas, or using historic paint jobs on aircraft that didn't carry the markings in the past.
german swift2.jpg
Personally, I don't find this objectionable, but recognize that other folks might. I'd love to repaint my Fly Baby to imitate a WWII Mitsubishi Claude, but recognize that Japanese atrocities during the war are still fresh in some folks' memories.

Not concerned about the news report mentioning the Nazi-era paint and swastika. It was perfectly true and correct. Would have been better if a sentence were added about it being a replica of a wartime aircraft, but the reporter may not have had time to discover that.

Ron Wanttaja

As I've mentioned in past postings, I have no objections to accurate markings on historic aircraft. And these would qualify. I'm a bit more leery of putting swastikas on subscale replicas, or using historic paint jobs on aircraft that didn't carry the markings in the past.
View attachment 113017
Personally, I don't find this objectionable, but recognize that other folks might.
To some it might suggest that the owner just wanted an excuse to paint swastikas on his plane. Which is useful information.

A marking on a true vintage plane could carry that symbol without penalty in Germany. It's not a blanket ban.

A marking on a true vintage plane could carry that symbol without penalty in Germany. It's not a blanket ban.

I know it’s not a blanket law. I saw Swastikas in museums when I lived there. Apparently this group interprets their aircraft as not being one of the exceptions. Either that or they’re afraid of offending someone.

At one time, maybe still, the rules for scale model airplane judging allowed swastikas to be reversed (tails pointing counterclockwise instead of clockwise as the Nazis used it) without deducting points for accuracy.

I know it’s not a blanket law. I saw Swastikas in museums when I lived there. Apparently this group interprets their aircraft as not being one of the exceptions. Either that or they’re afraid of offending someone.
Or maybe they find it offensive themselves.

It was originally a religious symbol long before the Germans adopted it. Maybe that offends people. Or maybe people are just easily offended, offended for others or look for things to be offended by

I don’t know. I just live in this world

To some it might suggest that the owner just wanted an excuse to paint swastikas on his plane. Which is useful information.
Well... the paint scheme is a fairly famous one. The JG 54 "Greenheart" scheme can be found a lot in paintings and models. Heck, I've got a ~40-year-old photo showing a Cessna 140 in similar livery. The swastika's even bigger. :)
C140 German Swastika lowres.jpg
If someone isn't personally sensitive to the implications, such paint schemes might be attractive. Just like someone might like the "Horst Wessel Lied" Nazi song, or join a reenactor's group so they could wear a Wehrmacht uniform. Neither might be interested in complicating their lives with interpretations. Shoot, I've got a WWII Mauser rifle, complete with swastika proof stamps, hanging in my home office. War trophy brought back by a relative.

Recently completed an illustration of German WWII military flag for a project. Didn't mean I *like* swastikas. But did enjoy the challenge of the research and getting the depiction I wanted.

There are some who get upset with ANY depiction referencing WWII Germany, and I can appreciate that.

Ron Wanttaja

At one time, maybe still, the rules for scale model airplane judging allowed swastikas to be reversed (tails pointing counterclockwise instead of clockwise as the Nazis used it) without deducting points for accuracy.
Found this picture of a BF-109 and an FW-190. Notice the depiction on the tails, leaving out the center bars of the swastika.
non-swastika.JPG
Really obvious what it represents, but not technically a swastika. Both airplanes are registered in Germany.

Ron Wanttaja

It was originally a religious symbol long before the Germans adopted it. Maybe that offends people. Or maybe people are just easily offended, offended for others or look for things to be offended by
Easily offended comes to mind. Had an old lady complain about the "Nazi" markings on one of my RC airplanes. It was a WWI Albatros, with lots of iron crosses but no swastikas.

Then, of course, there's the group of American who traveled to France during WWI and joined the French Air Service to form the Lafayette Escardrille. Their logo had a swastika..turned 45 degrees, just like the Nazi one.
lafayette escardrille.JPG
Ron Wanttaja

Back