German Air Force UAV

Jawohl!

My little foam Dr.1 is envious

Could have built a full size one for a little more effort!

That looks like the mother of all Fokkers.

The whole giant scale RC thing confuses me. That's a lot of work to not be able to get in and fly it. These things are as big or bigger than my Midget Mustang was.

That was impressive. And, a video where I'd rather watch it fly than crash.

The whole giant scale RC thing confuses me. That's a lot of work to not be able to get in and fly it. These things are as big or bigger than my Midget Mustang was.

It's a competition thing. I agree that in this case you might as well make it a little bigger and fly inside it but these people also build giant scale transport aircraft too.

It's a competition thing. I agree that in this case you might as well make it a little bigger and fly inside it but these people also build giant scale transport aircraft too.

There's a B-17 in that scale that is a real human occupant airplane, cool as all get out.

Models, shmodels. I saw a full size Fokker DR-1 "Dreidecker" flying and "dogfighting" with a SPAD this past Saturday. Before anyone suggests improving the quality of the liquor I drink, this occurred at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. My second visit in ten years or so, and it is always a thrill to see the very old (what they call "pioneer era") planes up and at 'em.

We also saw the Bleriot XI "fly". Unfortunately its 3 cyl Anzani 35hp rotary is so low on compression it had to struggle into the air and could not rise above ground effect. Anyone have a spare they can lend to ORA?

The Bleriot XI (make and model, not this plane) was the first to cross the english channel.... 106 years ago! Those guys had some stones!

Last edited:

My brother puts a significant portion of his income and most of his time in r/c gliders. With the same efforts, he could have already built multiple experimentals.

Still, though, he shows zero interest in the real thing... :dunno:

Back