Gerd Surgery and basic med?

Brad W

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
BLW2
I'm planning a consult with a surgeon about options for GERD. Not sure I'm going to do anything or not...but thinking it through

Not currently flying but I'm Basic Med. Is there some specific waiting period after a procedure like that...or some hoops to jump through before I'm able to fly again?

and a side note, any experience with the various options here?

thanks

I suffered from what had to be the worst acid reflux someone could experience. I opted for nissen fundoplication. Since that day I have had zero reflux/heartburn at all. I had been on Nexium for years and was suffering from a combination of bile and acid reflux. Opting for the surgery was the best move I ever made. Recovery was a couple of weeks. Prepare to lose a big chunk of weight while recovering. I had to do it, I was on my way to esophageal cancer sure as anything. As far as medical cert is concerned my procedure was in 2017 and I just recently applied for, and just issued my class 3 so I’m no help as far as that is concerned. Good luck with your GERD treatment.

Unless your condition is one of the medical conditions requiring one Special Issuance before operating under BasicMed (and it doesn’t appear to be), when you and your physician believe you’re healthy enough to fly, then fly.

The one SI conditions are listed below.

A mental health disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of—
A personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts;
A psychosis, defined as a case in which an individual —
Has manifested delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis; or
May reasonably be expected to manifest delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis; A bipolar disorder; or A substance dependence within the previous 2 years, as defined in §67.307(a)(4) of 14 Code of Federal Regulations

A neurological disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following: Epilepsy; Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause; or A transient loss of control of nervous system functions without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.

A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
Myocardial infarction; Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
Cardiac valve replacement; or Heart replacement.

Gerd isn't an issue either for basic med or for a medical certificate. I was a yawner when I reported mine after convincing the AME that Barret's Esophagus and other complications were ruled out.

Depending on the procedure, you may feel like you're ready to fly the next day. Wait a week, anyway. Plus 5 half-lives since your last narcotics.

...and no ramifications if I ever want to go back to a regular medical either, from the sound of it. thanks!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back