Georgia to California

Cpt_Kirk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ted Striker
The single-engine, normally aspirated airplane has to be in CA (KVNY) before the middle of next week.

Anyone have any tips or tricks in making the trek across? It will be under IFR the entire length. I have most of my route planned out. I'm more concerned about crossing the mountains out west. I believe there is a southern pass I can use that won't cause too much trouble.

Using a routing that takes you over ELP gives you the lowest MEA's (although still 7500 - 9000) and keeps you away from the higher terrain.

Out west plan to fly very early in the day. It will be hot. Carry ice and water. If you chose to fly in the afternoon there will be thermals above 10,000. It can get down right ugly.

The typical routes are to follow I-10 or I-40 which is a little futher north but not much cooler. I've done the I-40 route and it shouldn't be much of a problem in the typical normally aspirated spam can.

Airports out west are a bit further apart than you may be used to back east. Running from weather can take you awhile to get to a diversion airport. Carry plenty of fuel accordingly.

Flying in the mornings only from Texas on may add a day to the trip. It might be better than bouncing off the overhead across half the western US.

Going that way next summer,could you post your route when you decide? Thanks

Yup, what mike said.
I also think you'll move faster if you go VFR with flight following when able. IFR can mean you get routed around busy airspace, or you have to go around MOAs (which may be a good idea anyway).
Yes you'll want to plan EWM in your flight plan. As far as cheap fuel along the route,
RFI, SWI, XBP, CGZ.
Keep us updated. Post photos!

About a month ago, I flew my Dakota from the Dallas area to Reno with stops at KROW (Roswell, NM) and KPRC (Prescott, AZ). Roswell was a nice stop - giant runway and a bunch of old airplanes in the local boneyard. The terrain starts west of Roswell but at 10,500' you will be fine - fly early. For logistical reasons we flew in the afternoon (Dallas to Prescott in one day) and it was a bit bumpy from mid-New Mexico to mid-Arizona. If there are any AIRMETS or SIGMETS you might want to reconsider the route - no fun to be bouncing all over the place.

The single-engine, normally aspirated airplane has to be in CA (KVNY) before the middle of next week.

Anyone have any tips or tricks in making the trek across? It will be under IFR the entire length. I have most of my route planned out. I'm more concerned about crossing the mountains out west. I believe there is a southern pass I can use that won't cause too much trouble.
IFR..? go high, go long, go direct. There is no big high rocks in your way. the highest should be Flagstaff 7011 feet.

I'd do it VFR and enjoy the sights.

Be wheel up by sunrise every morning and be ready to dodge isolated thunder bumpers.

I agree with VFR unless you need IFR for weather. Fly Dat A Way VFR along I-40 all the way on Flight Following.

Doing that trek, once we hit AZ, our planned route and actual route rarely were the same but we has ADSB weather and were able to stay ahead of the systems as they popped up.

What's your cruise speed?

Are you trying to do it all in a single day?

Thanks for the comments so far. Every little bit helps so please keep them coming.

Going that way next summer,could you post your route when you decide? Thanks
Sure thing.

What's your cruise speed?

Are you trying to do it all in a single day?
170 TAS. One day is possible, but I was planning to reach KELP or KABQ general areas by the end of the first day and make the launch across the mountains early morning.

rou

Go VFR, go early, go great circle. Saves time and money. Make a circuit around Meteor crater, and through Sedona. Southern route is hotter, longer, boring. Stop in Santa Fe, have a hike, or fly around the Jemez mtns. KABQ route. Also cheap gas up around there too.

170 TAS. One day is possible, but I was planning to reach KELP or KABQ general areas by the end of the first day and make the launch across the mountains early morning.
That's very close to what I do in the Baron. I've made several trips now between Norfolk and AZ/SoCal.

You might be able to do it in one day, but it would be a long ass day.

When I do that run, I like to leave before dawn and then depending on the forecast I'll either go north toward ICT, middle through OKC or south through the DFW area. I'll then further narrow it down while enroute to either pass through ABQ or ELP again depending on weather. As mentioned, ELP is going to be the lowest route, but if you go toward Santa Fe and then ABQ, it isn't bad at all.

If you take a more northern route, Ponca City, OK (PNC) makes a great lunch stop.

Sometimes I'll split it into two shorter days and overnight in Fort Worth. Other times I'll overnight in ABQ. Cutter is nice and there is a hotel right at the airport. Then, occasionally, if the weather is good, I'll go VFR through the Rockies and overnight at Telluride. Then enjoy an early morning flight through Monument Valley. If you overnight in ABQ or southern CO, depart early and stop for breakfast at Sedona.

Last edited:
One if the things I've found is that whatever route I initially plan, I usually amend the day of due to weather (either T-storms in summer or ice in winter).

Have at least two or three routes planned in advance.

That's very close to what I do in the Baron. I've made several trips now between Norfolk and AZ/SoCal.

You might be able to do it in one day, but it would be a long ass day.

When I do that run, I like to leave before dawn and then depending on the forecast I'll either go north toward ICT, middle through OKC or south through the DFW area. I'll then further narrow it down while enroute to either pass through ABQ or ELP again depending on weather. As mentioned, ELP is going to be the lowest route, but if you go toward Santa Fe and then ABQ, it isn't bad at all.

Sometimes I'll split it into two shorter days and overnight in Fort Worth. Other times I'll overnight in ABQ. Cutter is nice and there is a hotel right at the airport. Then, occasionally, if the weather is good, I'll go VFR through the Rockies and overnight at Telluride. Then enjoy an early morning flight through Monument Valley. If you overnight in ABQ or southern CO, depart early and stop for breakfast at Sedona.

The monsoon has arrived. The Colorado Rockies are no Bueno right now. Dunno how long it will last.

No problem from Alamosa south, plenty of routes you can make.

Re: rou

Go VFR, go early, go great circle. Saves time and money. Make a circuit around Meteor crater, and through Sedona. Southern route is hotter, longer, boring. Stop in Santa Fe, have a hike, or fly around the Jemez mtns. KABQ route. Also cheap gas up around there too.

Yup, go VFR and see the crater.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 38
The monsoon has arrived. The Colorado Rockies are no Bueno right now. Dunno how long it will last.
Good point. I was just looking at that right now (I'll be flying out to Phoenix in Sep.

No way I'd be getting into Telluride tonight!

That's really the issue. I never plan a route on a coast to coast, I mark the good fuel stops within a wide range of my general path, then fly where the weather permits me on the days I fly. Basically I'd point the plane west and look at the big clouds and avoid them. Sometimes it takes me a couple hundred miles north from direct, sometimes it takes me a couple of hundred miles south, and once in a blue moon it's beautiful the whole way. Crossing the country GA is all about weather, there's always a path across the continental divide though.

I am so glad the hangar has an insulated roof - we got hail again today, and tornado not far from the airport. My car, on the other hand, is stuck outside because the driveways are being repaved.

Direct; 1700nm - you will only have R-space near 29Palms, I see no formidable terrain (if you can go 170kts, you can likely climb above any of this. Sounds like a fun 2-day. Could do it in one, if you had real good sleep before, and didn't mind your head ringing for a while. Start before the sun and race it, all. day. long. (but still lose the race!) I have done a 1-day, 1300nm - twice, and 1000nm in a C-150. I would go VFR, and the bumps should not stop one.

I flew from Sulfur Springs Tx, through Childress Tx to Moriarty NM, Winslow AZ to Las Vegas.

Just follow I-40 and you'll be fine. from Winslow, head along I-40 and break off toward Lake Havasue and then on into SoCal. No issues. A little high ground near Flagstaff.

Fly early, afternoon heating makes it rough, plus it is monsoon season which means afternoon thunderstorms.

Airnav.com is your friend.

I think I see Fort Stockton->V222->Salt Flats, then V94 to the LA area. There's one leg with a MEA at 10k, otherwise 8 and 9. Hot and basically along the Mexico border. Is that the southern pass route?

Airnav.com is your friend.
ForeFlight is better.

Like Henning and I mentioned, every time I have made this trip (about 6 times in the last 2 years) I have had to alter my route the day of and/or while enroute. Things like ADS-B weather, fuel prices and handy airport/FBO info right there on the ipad make this 1000 times easier than it used to be.

I think I see Fort Stockton->V222->Salt Flats, then V94 to the LA area. There's one leg with a MEA at 10k, otherwise 8 and 9. Hot and basically along the Mexico border. Is that the southern pass route?
Pretty much. If you go that way, make a stop at Pecos for a burrito.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to spend more trying to decide on where to stop based on what I should see. I wish going VFR was an option, but the owner has requested the IFR portion because they want to track my progress (I know VFR FF does the same thing). From that I can decipher that taking an exaggerated scenic route really isn't an option.

I think I'll just point the airplane West for now and make the I-10/I-40 decision based on weather the closer I get.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to spend more trying to decide on where to stop based on what I should see. I wish going VFR was an option, but the owner has requested the IFR portion because they want to track my progress (I know VFR FF does the same thing). From that I can decipher that taking an exaggerated scenic route really isn't an option for now.

I think I'll just point the airplane West for now and make the I-10/I-40 decision based on weather the closer I get.
Good plan. Pick where you want to RON and have a couple rough routes planned in advance that you can adjust to get there.

I think you will get the most bang for your buck (IFR/Scenery/Food) going via ABQ and across Northern AZ toward Needles.

Another tidbit that may be useful is Amarillo has an airport café right next to the FBO if you need a lunch stop in that area.

Ya know, I said stop at Santa Fe, but there's a new owner of the FBO, and they are getting mixed reviews. Also high fees now, so looks like I'm done with KSAF. Winslow AZ is a bit of a stretch for one day, but they love having anyone stop in. cheap motels across the highway, and the FBO will usually give you a run over there. If no one is there call the town shuttle 928-289-2570 and they'll come get you. There used to be a couple of bikes in the back corner of the comm hangar for transient use, but not sure if they are still there. Call and ask first I guess.

I think I'm going to spend more trying to decide on where to stop based on what I should see. I wish going VFR was an option, but the owner has requested the IFR portion because they want to track my progress (I know VFR FF does the same thing). From that I can decipher that taking an exaggerated scenic route really isn't an option.

It's not really a problem to reroute underway IFR, I've done it on several occasions, "xxx Center, I need to change my routing through xxx, it looks like there's a whole lot of bad weather ahead." "Cleared as requested." It's never been a problem.

VFR flight following on FlightAware is hit or miss.

What if you file IFR, take off, and then cancel? It will be in FlightAware then.

Might want to warn the owner that FlightAware is often wrong. It seems especially bad when using their new ADS-B algorithm. That's when people get reported supersonic grounds speeds….

Ya know, I said stop at Santa Fe, but there's a new owner of the FBO, and they are getting mixed reviews. Also high fees now, so looks like I'm done with KSAF.
FBO at SAF is Landmark. I call them the Zombie FBO. Across the country they are mediocre and there is almost always a breakdown in communication between the CSRs and the rampers and management is often aloof. I was not impressed with Landmark SAF when I passed through back in April. Only reason I use them at all is that my home drone/hangar is run by Landmark so I get a based fuel discount. Otherwise I'd avoid them like the plague. I much prefer operations like Cutter and TAC Air.

There is a new FBO at Santa Fe; yes two now.

My last trip in was Mar 2013, so I"m not up on the latest. It was nice back then, but if fees have gone up, that's a killer for me. I like small and out of the way but not everyone does.

My last trip in was Mar 2013, so I"m not up on the latest. It was nice back then, but if fees have gone up, that's a killer for me. I like small and out of the way but not everyone does.
If you like small and no fees, try Mid-Valley Airpark (E98) just south of ABQ.

Be wheel up by sunrise every morning and be ready to dodge isolated thunder bumpers.

I agree with VFR unless you need IFR for weather. Fly Dat A Way VFR along I-40 all the way on Flight Following.

I wouldn't fly IFR for weather anywhere out west. Flew a bunch of Austin El Paso trips last year for my son. Last trip 10% chance of rain predicted FT Stockton area only turned into the worst ride I've ever had and dodging storms underneath more than half the trip.

Yes

I think I'm going to spend more trying to decide on where to stop based on what I should see. I wish going VFR was an option, but the owner has requested the IFR portion because they want to track my progress (I know VFR FF does the same thing).

Your squawk code on that length of trip using FF virtually guarantees you'll be in the big system (trackable).

If you have ADSB out and file an IFR flight plan, you'll be track able on Flightaware too. You do _not_ have to open the flightplan or even get FF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't fly IFR for weather anywhere out west. Flew a bunch of Austin El Paso trips last year for my son. Last trip 10% chance of rain predicted FT Stockton area only turned into the worst ride I've ever had and dodging storms underneath more than half the trip.
What's IFR or not IFR got to do with it?

When I do that route I'm probably IFR 80 percent of the time. If weather sucks, it is just one more tool to help you get through it.

I completed the flight this past Saturday. 12.0 on the Hobbs. I can't believe how incredibly lucky we were with the weather across the entire country. I couldn't have asked for a better day to fly. 180kts across the ground on 13gph.

The only part I was remotely worried about was the cold front pushing down from the northwest over the mountains and the small stationary over central CA. I was electing to choose the southern route (I-10) to stay as far away from those fronts as we could. We even had a tailwind (15+ kts) going WEST at 12k!

First leg was from the Atlanta area to Ardmore, OK ($3.90 for 100LL) and was just under 4 hours. We had a cell to the north but it proved to be a non-event for us. Stopped for about 20 mins and we were off again.

The next leg was from OK to the El Paso area due to impending weather building around the ABQ area. This was the shortest leg being just over 3 hours. The weather wasn't showing up on the MFD, but we had a bit of deviating to do to get through everything. We had a really nice, isolated, extreme cell right on an extended final into the El Paso area. An incredible downpour complete with lightning gave us a short chase but we prevailed. Again, we were at 12k on the way down. Made it through with no issues.

Once in the El Paso area, we sat on the ground for about 45 mins, made our go, no-go decision, bought the airline tickets, gassed up, and got ready to head out. This was going to be the longest leg, across hazardous terrain, during the evening/twilight/night hours. Planning was key. Not being familiar with the area, I elected to fly Victor routes the entire length to keep myself clear of any potential terrain and once again, go at 12k.

Weather was mostly CAVOK with the occasional isolated cell. The bases of the weather was about 14-16k MSL and we just had to dodge the rain shafts but it turned out to be the easiest leg to keep clear. ABQ Center was more than helpful giving us reports and aiding us in what we needed at the time. Kudos to them. And, of course, this was the most beautiful leg of them all. Just incredible. Once night came around, you would never be able to count all of the stars in the sky. The closer to the garbage dump of CA we got, the less we could see in the sky. I'll post pictures when I can.

Crossing the mountains in to the LA area, all we could see was a sea of white and yellow lights with bumpa-da-bumpa traffic anywhere you looked.. at 10:30pm...

We were vectored for the ILS 16R (weather was clear), started flying the approach, and then received a report saying that the airplane ahead of us was shot by a green and white laser at 500 AGL. I had a feeling that someone would get hit with one. I held my hand over one of my eyes until short final just in case they got us, but they didn't. The police were already on their way over.

Greased the last landing onto the famous 16R, taxied onto the ramp, shutdown, cleaned the airplane up, and called it a day. We were exhausted.

The airline trip back to GA was a mess and worthy of its own post, but maybe another time.

*I was worried about the terrain out west, but we were at least 5,000'-6,000' AGL and didn't have any issues with navigating. We were above anything we could see in the distance. This is was an easy route to go and wouldn't hesitate sending a green pilot on it.

Last edited:
Back