Georgetown TX KGTU - Flight instructor recommendation?

Rick A

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rick A
Have a friend just out of the Army that wants to learn how to fly for personal transportation, using the GI bill. He dropped in at the Georgetown airport and learned he has to spend a year at their affiliate flight school in Arizona in order to use the GI bill. WTH?

I’ve recommended to him to find a grizzled old CFI rather than proceed with the academy cookie cutter route. Any CFI recommendations? And, what’s the deal with the GI Bill, if anything?

Rick

The GI bill is to train vets for an occupation, not a hobby. As both a vet and a US taxpayer, I think that is fair.
That makes sense. However, in this case the individual desires to be self-employeed, and wants to utilize the benefits of general aviation to create an occupation (not a hobby) that would not be possible or successful using an automobile or airline travel.

The types of military hardware to be transported around the nation would be nearly impossible to carry on the airlines without major interference from the TSA, yet entirely within the legal purview of transport via personally flown general aviation.

Would the above scenario still be a no-go for GI bill benefits? If not, seems the big flight schools have lobbied themselves into a nice government supplied cash flow. Not every aspiring pilot aspires to be a full-time commercial pilot as their primary job.

Rick

I'd have to look at the regs but im not 100% about using a plane as transport part 91.

GI bill requires select 141 programs and colleges to pay.

Last edited:
Back