Geological Samples?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Had a NOTAM show up this evening, that is beginning tomorrow morning (4/3) from 12z to 21z for a runway closure at the airport. Wondered what was going on, so I texted the airport manager to find out. He says they are having some geological samples drilled in the runway and it will reopen as soon as they are done.

This is a new one on me. What exactly is the purpose of this and what are they looking for?

Probably mixed up “geotechnical” with “geological”. Geotech borings are for taking samples and then doing analysis regarding strength and other characteristics for engineering purposes, similar to what @Walboy said (who changed his avatar...).

Most likely what Walboy mentioned.

@Let’sgoflying!, we’re still drilling. Finishing up a well right now and then heading to Mexico offshore for about a year and then off to Mozambique

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is the technical term for cleaning cow poo off the runway(s).... :lol:

It could be checking for contamination of the water table as well. Years ago when there were no environmental regulations and everyone just threw their fuel and oil on the ground it soaked into the soil. I know they've done this several times at my air patch. I remember back when I first started flying, we just threw the fuel sample on the ground. I also remember that when we shut down jet aircraft, the P&D (pressurization and dump) valve just opened and the jet fuel just drained on the ground. Of course we don't do that anymore, but we did.

But if they are drilling the runway, its most likely what Walt said.

Back