General Weather App

JGoodish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JGoodish
What does everyone like as a general (non-av specific) weather app?

I was using Weather Underground, but when I upgraded phones and had to reload it, I lost my ad-free subscription and weeks of emailing them resulted in no response. However I found it to be fairly accurate. Unfortunately, it appears that Weather Underground may be suffering from some degree of neglect, both on the app and the web site.

I then switched to WeatherBug. I still like WeatherBug, but it was apparently sold to Ground Truth, which is owned by an advertising company, so that sets off my privacy alarm. WeatherBug's accuracy seems to be decent on the outlook, but fair to poor on the hourly forecast. Radar seems fairly clean and decent. This is what I'm still currently using.

I did look at The Weather Channel app, but it seems way too focused on video. I don't need video, I need more good data on current and forecast conditions. Accuracy seemed about on par with Weather Underground, which makes sense since they are both owned by IBM.

I tried MyRadar, and didn't care for it. The app is obviously focused on radar, but I can get that in ForeFlight and other places. I didn't like the layout and had issues with it selecting far away (50+ miles) stations for observations and forecasts when I asked it to automatically locate my position.

Tried AccuWeather app, and while it seemed decent, it (like TWC) appears to be very consumer-focused. I found its accuracy to be less than TWC/WU, or even WeatherBug.

I may have hit all of the big ones, but if there's something I'm missing, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Hmm... never cared about WX when I am not flying .... for general stuff I go by weather.com app or MOS

The Weather Channel app used to be good before they discontinued it and made a new version that is only compatible with the newest Apple devices. I have not found a replacement yet that I like. Hourly wind forecasts are important to me, for cycling purposes.

Carrot weather. Especially with the extra snarky settings set to max.

2796886F-69D1-424C-ADD2-F351A3398BCA.png

The Weather Channel app used to be good before they discontinued it and made a new version that is only compatible with the newest Apple devices. I have not found a replacement yet that I like. Hourly wind forecasts are important to me, for cycling purposes.

Same experience with my phone, a 5 though. :D

Use Weather Bugg now, doesn't seem to be that accurate most of the time.

You'd really like Carrot weather. It fits your whacked personality. Works on Android and Apple

But see, I can argue that I am the best pilot, because as a pilot, the winds do not concern me. Rather, the winds are concerned by me. I feel like the Chuck Norris of the skies. Well, and then there is @Ryanb

But see, I can argue that I am the best pilot, because as a pilot, the winds do not concern me. Rather, the winds are concerned by me. I feel like the Chuck Norris of the skies. Well, and then there is @Ryanb

Yeah, I mean @Ryanb , another Bob Hoover, the Hooover of POA amiright?

Honestly, I don't think any of them are all that accurate; it's more a question of what's the best of the worst. This site https://www.forecastadvisor.com apparently uses some collected data in an attempt to answer that question, but I'm not sure where the data originates or how it is determined. WeatherBug isn't among the results, but WeatherBug used to be owned by Earth Networks, and I assume that the new owners still source data from the same place.

I've found WeatherBug to be reasonably accurate on the long-range forecasts, but less accurate on the hourly. However, the apps which attempt to predict the exact time it's going to rain or stop raining (AccuWeather, TWC, etc.) I've found to be wrong almost all of the time with those predictions.

Carrot Weather is interesting, if you don't mind the snark. Wonder where they source their data.

There's another one, Dark Sky, which seems to get good reviews but there is no free version to test drive. I don't mind paying for an app if I know it's good, but don't like paying for test drives.

I have a weather app file on my devices. It contains Storm, NOAA Radar Pro, Accuweather, RainAware, and YR. For today’s weather RainAware is my favorite. For days coming YR is tops.

If you aren’t familiar with YR.NO you should take a look.

Last edited:
Back