General IFR question...probably a no brainer...

S

SJP

Can you file an IFR flight plan, for VFR conditions, assuming the Commercial/Instrument rated pilot is NOT current in terms of Approaches/Intercepts etc in the last 6 months.

As I read 61.57, the key phrase is '...under IFR...', which would suggest that the weather conditions themselves are irrelevant, you cannot operate under the IFR rules if you are not Instrument current.

Or do I owe my buddy $5? :D

correctomundo, if you are operating on an IFR flight plan, you need to be current.

You can FILE it ... but you can't accept the clearance and fly it unless you are current.

SJP said:
Can you file an IFR flight plan, for VFR conditions, assuming the Commercial/Instrument rated pilot is NOT current in terms of Approaches/Intercepts etc in the last 6 months.

As I read 61.57, the key phrase is '...under IFR...', which would suggest that the weather conditions themselves are irrelevant, you cannot operate under the IFR rules if you are not Instrument current.

Just in case anyone's confused, the act of filing a flight plan (IFR, VFR, DVFR, DC ADIZ, whatever -- except a FRZ flight plan which requires the secret code) does not even require a pilot certificate. Anyone can pick up the phone, call FSS, and file a flight plan. However, to be the PIC under IFR (i.e., to accept an IFR clearance) requires (among other things) that you meet the instrument currency rule (14 CFR 61.57(c)) via either six approaches, an IPC, or an instrument privilege practical test within the preceding six calendar months.

SJP said:

As mentioned previously, was the bet "operate" or "file"? Your buddy may have walked you into a sucker bet.

Back