General aviation taking off at MacArthur

Perfect timing then for them to institute the $10 landing fee for aircraft not based at Islip!

It must be hard to understand that given the choice most people will try to avoid paying a landing fee / touch and go fee.

My guess is operations will slow down and everybody will loose.

It is an interesting experiment, we will see what the results are.

I fly out of Islip and can attest that GA really rules the airport. The airline service is really minimal with only Southwest and very few USair reginal service. That being said, the airport is not really crazy busy. I never wait more than 5 minutes to take off and landing is a non issue. It's a great airport so I'm happy they are doing good bussiness!

The landing fees, as far as I know, are for aircraft not based at Islip. Their motivations are many but at least amongst the pilots from where I rent from, the sentiment is positive because so many planes use MacArthur airport for practicing that it can get crowded in the pattern. Even planes from Farmingdale, literally like 15 miles away will come to Islip to practice in the pattern because their airport is so crowded. I'll be curious to see how it works.

Last edited:
Wow, my airport hasn't had airline service in over 30 years and back then, they were flying DC-3's. :eek:

I normally go over to ISP from FRG, days when the downwind in the pattern is 10 to 15 miles. It's not worth the headache, I will also shoot up to BDR if I can. They don't have a landing fee, per landing, just a 7.00 usuage fee. But ISP going to a landing fee is insane. The traffic that GA brings in is what really keep that airport Class C and gets money from the government for thier nice tower that was just built.

Funny, complaining about too many aircraft movements when funding is tied to aircraft movements. I learned out of ISP back when they went from a TRSA to Class C(there were some letters inbetween.) Havent flown there in a long time, traffic never seemed Class C worthy.

Back