General Aviation Services at KCXO

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Thursday, my wife and I flew the 310 down to the Houston area for one of our normal dog runs - a load from KCXO (Lone Star Executive Airport) up to New Hampshire.

Friday morning, we loaded up the plane, took off as normal. About the time the gear came up, the left engine started sounding funny. Oil pressure, etc. looked good, but the engine just didn't seem right (with a plane load of barking dogs). Got a bit of altitude, diagnosed the problem. Hmm... EGTs look high, #6 CHT looks high. In-flight mag check showed conclusively that the left mag on the left engine was dead. That's not going to work, time to get back and land.

We needed a new mag. The FBO we usually go to doesn't service piston aircraft, but the jet mechanic there called Greg at General Aviation Services across the field, who came over promptly. We determined the plastic distributor gear in the mag failed, hence the lack of spark. With the help of Spike (who found the location of a local shop that rebuilds these mags), Greg got the mag off in Nascar pit-stop time, we got the mag rebuilt, and back on.

Only to find that Continental apparently designs these gears to fail very reliably, because upon doing the runup, the right mag on the right engine (that was doing just fine) failed in the exact same manner. We got Aviall to overnight the one replacement they had in the country. One of the tower controllers was willing to fly up to Dallas if necessary to get the magneto for us in his Twin Comanche.

This put us at Saturday morning needing to get the plane back together. Greg came in on his day off to get the plane back together and up and running so we could get the pups up to New Hampshire. We'd called the place that had rebuilt the first mag, and they said the best they could do was first thing in the morning on Monday... if we got it to them on Friday.

I'm hoping that we don't have a need to get the plane worked on there again (emergency repairs are never fun), but definitely want to give a big thanks to everyone at KCXO, and especially Greg at General Aviation Services, for helping get us back up and going.

I use CXO when I need to be in the area. Always first rate service when I've been there.

The CAF has some planes based there.

The CAF has some planes based there.

They have quite the collection of aircraft. At General Aviation Services, aside from a fleet of warbirds and standard piston GA aircraft, they also maintain a pair of Jetstars. I'd never seen one before, and upon seeing its four rear-mounted jets said "What on earth is that?!" Then I researched them a bit. Now I want one.

It must have 20/200 series TCM magnetos. Broken nylon distributor gear teeth are very common. I have found broken teeth on the single and dual mags at annual inspections. I had a Malibu with TCM mags that got extremely rough. The owner landed it on a military ammunition depot field. They wanted it off (carried or flown). After trying to run the engine they found that both mags had failed. both had broken gear teeth. I bought that Malibu right after that. I now change the TCM distributor gears every 2 years now on the Malibus with those mags.

I had my Malibu engine built up with slick mags at overhaul.

Kevin

They have quite the collection of aircraft. At General Aviation Services, aside from a fleet of warbirds and standard piston GA aircraft, they also maintain a pair of Jetstars. I'd never seen one before, and upon seeing its four rear-mounted jets said "What on earth is that?!" Then I researched them a bit. Now I want one.

Oddly enough the Jetstar came up as a topic in the chat room a few nights ago. The original prototype only had a pair of engines.

http://rbogash.com/jetstarhistory.html

Elvis Presley had one and it is now on display at Graceland.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/pictures/jetstar_hound_dog_2.html

Anybody have an updated pirep on FBO's at KCXO? Heard there were some ownership changes up there.

I saw one of those jetstars on the ramp at RDU once. Definitely caught my eye

Back