General Aviation Parking saturation?

George Mohr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Gmohr
Hi all!

I'm pretty familiar with the rate that GA Camping fills up during the opening weekend, but less so for parking. This year I'm staying in Camp Scholler, so I'd like to know what to expect for parking. Any advice?

Thanks!
George

Hi George, If I understand your question, you park your car in Scholler at your campsite and set up your tent next to it. No need to park elsewhere. The people who come just for the day park in a whole different place (blue lot, grey lot, etc.) and are cleared out each day.

I’m thinking he’s talking about parking his plane at OSH but camping in Scholler. Asking about if the parking fills up.

Yeah, the above. Flying in and camping in Scholler. Sorry for the ambiguity!

Worst case, end up in Fond Du Lac, get to Scholler, move your plane up later. It all depends on when you plan passing RIPON & how saturated things are.

If you fly the arrival at 0800 Sat before it starts, I can guarantee you a spot. Once you get past Sunday eve into the early weekdays, anything can happen.

Oops, sorry. If no one here has the answer, you might try searching or asking over at the EAA forums and the AirVenture subforum (eaaforums.org).

The parking for non-camping, non-showplanes is over by Basler Flight Service (the Shell FBO) on the far side of the field. If you need pavement parking for your TBM-900 you need to reserve a spot with them in advance if you want to park during OSH week. If your airplane can be safely taxied and parked on the grass, the EAA flight line operations volunteers will direct you accordingly. You pay the parking fee at Basler, if I recall correctly, but I don't remember for sure as I only did this one year when I stayed at the dorms. And they can refuel the plane and such for you also.

Don't forget your GAP window sign.

Also, the one and only year I did this, I recall it was a hell of a walk from the FBO to the first shuttle stop. So if you have people you are camping with in Scholler that are coming by car, you may want to have them come pick you up at Basler.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll ring Basler and find out if they have any guidance about saturation.

Back