Gen Av in Philippines

iflyforfun

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iflyforfun
All,
I've been living in Asia for quite a while now (China, Hong Kong and Philippines). Part of the decision to move to Asia was selling my beloved Velocity and effectively giving up Gen Av except for an occasional flights with instructors in the US. I'm now at the point of looking for retirement properties in the Philippines (Cebu in particular).

My wife found an amazing flying club (Angeles City Flying Club - http://www.angelesflying.com/). I travel there a few times per year to fly ... first time flying an "ultralight" Quicksilver MXLII. They checked me out to fly their Quicksilver in something like 4-5 hours and I can take passengers around the airport area with some fairly tight airspace restrictions. They also have a Rans-S6 and S12 as well as Drifter, all operated as "non-type certificated aircraft".

It seems that regulation for "non-type certificated aircraft" is fairly open with some meaningful restrictions. The most important aircraft / license restrictions being:
  • Airworthiness certificate not issues by the Authority - you are on your own for maintenance
  • Pilots license not required - again, you are on your own
  • Place of operation will be evaluated and approved by the Authority - uh, bring on the bureaucracy
Operationally, assuming you can get area of operation approved, there are some fairly tight restrictions:
  • Only within designated area of operation
  • Day VFR only
  • Must be operated below 800 ft agl
  • Not within 5 nautical miles (8 km) of an airport with an operational control tower, unless two-way radio communication is established and prior approval is obtained to enter controlled airspace
So, to operate a non-type certificated aircraft, there is the issue of negotiating the area of operations (which in a developing country like Philippines is always a challenge), but otherwise looks pretty straight forward for just fun flying.

Wondering how difficult it would be to import and operate something simple like a Sea Ray. How would difficulties of registering it compare with the difficulties of negotiating area of operation?

Use case is partially fun, but also partially functional. Island we're negotiating property has an "airport" that is nothing more than a grass strip. The island is about 50km from large regional (towered) airport. Ferry service is about 1.5 hrs just a few times a day. I don't think I'm in for operating a plane in salt water, but having ability to land "off airport" at anytime between the 2 islands would make me pretty comfortable (and in Cebu, if you are flying something this light, the waters are pretty dang smooth).

Still in the day dreaming phase and at least 5 years from pulling the trigger on a fun plane for the property, but just wondering if any experts in the group that could give me some suggestions / direction.

First of all, if you import the aircraft into the Philippines get ready to deal with the taxes, which may equal or exceed the cost of the aircraft.

Next, have fun dealing with CAAP. Be prepared for massive paperwork, and also be prepared for the "fees".

First of all, if you import the aircraft into the Philippines get ready to deal with the taxes, which may equal or exceed the cost of the aircraft.

Next, have fun dealing with CAAP. Be prepared for massive paperwork, and also be prepared for the "fees".

Having lived and worked in Asia for a bit over a decade, I know how difficult it is for me to deal with "fees". I can manage the business, I can manage the people, I can manage the suppliers, but interactions with government are really frustrating. Makes for a nice dream, but not sure it is in the cards. The ACFC has a large number of locals with connections to the CAAP and local government, so they manage pretty well. Not sure how a single gweilo will do ...

Having lived and worked in Asia for a bit over a decade, I know how difficult it is for me to deal with "fees". I can manage the business, I can manage the people, I can manage the suppliers, but interactions with government are really frustrating. Makes for a nice dream, but not sure it is in the cards. The ACFC has a large number of locals with connections to the CAAP and local government, so they manage pretty well. Not sure how a single gweilo will do ...

There is a Captain for one of the local airlines there that routinely goes to the US and imports airplanes. I would get with him and let him do it, and handle all the paperwork and the CAAP. The last thing you want to happen is have it held hostage by the guy that does the import taxes or by a CAAP inspector. If you aren't a local, you don't stand a chance.

There is a Captain for one of the local airlines there that routinely goes to the US and imports airplanes. I would get with him and let him do it, and handle all the paperwork and the CAAP. The last thing you want to happen is have it held hostage by the guy that does the import taxes or by a CAAP inspector. If you aren't a local, you don't stand a chance.
Can you PM me any contact info or know where I can find out about the guy? If nothing else, I need to start making some connections.

Back