Gear-Up Landing In Progress right now !

Minshall

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TedM
Listening to PDX-approach on LiveATC. Cobra-53 is circling now, waiting on emergency vehicles to arrive. Planning a gear-up landing at HIO.

Wow - can't hear the pilot, but the controller is very calm about the whole thing.

Couldn't hear the results, but sounded non-critical. Approach-ATC was using enroute-aircraft to relay messages to gear-up plane, but could only hear controller-side of conversation. Controller asked "any injuries", and after short silence reply was a simple "thanks". I'd assume if the results were severe there would have been a more significant reaction.

Looking forward to hearing more - anyone located at HIO? Hoping all is OK and it's only scraped paint.

Soooo.....was this a military bird?

Reason you couldn't hear the pilot is because he was more than likely using a UHF radio instead of VHF

Why wouldn't the controller be calm? He is not the one in the plane.....:)

Why wouldn't the controller be calm? He is not the one in the plane.....:)

Yep. We had F-18 at Miramar once that couldn't get one of his mains down. Both pilot and controllers handled it in a calm, professional manner and worked the problem. The F-18 went off shore, kicked up the speed until his gear door ripped off, allowing his main wheels to be lowered. Came back and took the cable as a precaution.

Stay calm and fall back on your training.

Stay calm,rely on your training,hopefully the controller will stay calm,hope for the best.

I had a gear-up in the Arrow, complete non-event as long as you don't do something rash like try and stop the motor to save the prop.

I had a gear-up in the Arrow, complete non-event as long as you don't do something rash like try and stop the motor to save the prop.

A driver of an old bo couldn't get the nose wheel down and did a perfect job of stopping the prop horizontally just before touching down. Even kept the nose up about as long as one could expect.

In the end, I don't think they could save the prop. Ugh, the don't make them any more.

Back