Gear Pump Manifold

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
Flyers,

For about a month now I get a clicking sound every 30 or 40 seconds in my headset and my panel lights dim. I recognize this sound as it is identical to the clicking and blinking I see when I put the gear down or up.

I think I may have hydraulic bypassing somewhere in the system. My plane (1971 Cessna 177RG) went in for maintenance yesterday and my mechanic just called and stated that I have an issue with the manifold related to the gear pump.

He replaced the O-rings, but stated the plungers are worn out and needs to be replaced. Cessna wants approximately $6000 for this unit. It'll be a cold day...

My question to the group is: do we know of a shop that can refurbish these manifolds? My mechanic doesn't know of any and wanted me to relay this information and post this question to the group.

Gene

This is all common hydraulics equipment parts, including the Prestolite pumps, the check valve within likely being your problem. Read Pt 43 as it refers to "owner produced parts" and talk to your mechanic about it. This system can be completely renewed for much less than the numbers you gave using parts with identical part numbers from different suppliers.

The system can lose pressure at multiple points, not just the manifold. Any worn seal in any of the three gear actuators can do it. It can bypass in the manual pump. If the mechanic takes his stethoscope and listens to the various components, he can hear the fluid hissing past places it shouldn't be. I do hope he has a stethoscope. They're cheap enough.

31U9Oa6ww%2BL.jpg

Back