Gear problems in Comanche

Tommar98

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tommar98
Hello Gang. I’m still working on my initial training with my ‘62 250. My brother (CFI) went up today with me and I worked in the pattern getting some x-wind landings in. On 5th approach we practiced a go-around and notice climb seemed a bit slow. I Looked down and noticed amber light (gear up) wasn’t on. Turned on downwind and tried to cycle the gear with no luck. So we climbed up to 3000 and reviewed the emergency extension procedure. Problem was that it appeared the gear was partially extended. Checked the fuses and nothing was wrong. We decided to fly to airport where my brother instructs and have someone look at gear on a low approach. We organized to have someone come out and look at plane. We turned final leveled off and added some power as we flew over runway and suddenly we got a green light showing gear down as spotter says “looks like you have 3 gear down.” She is a mechanic at airport and told us when we landed it didn’t look like gear was all the way down when we turned base leg. So valuable lessons here. I’m guessing a new gear motor may be in my future. We’ll find out after mechanic takes a look. Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, don't guess.

Might be a shorted wire.

My well stopped working about 10 days ago. Talking to the repair company on the phone they told me it sounded like the pump quit working. At 750 feet down it is not a cheap repair. Luckily for me it was the pressure switch in the well house that quit working.

Let's hope it is the cheaper fix for you....

Just to be clear...I’m not guessing. I did mention the mechanic will be looking at it. There are many things that could have caused this issue - I just mentioned motor as something that “may” be in my future.

Glad to hear you walked away without bent metal. I know you've heard it before but never give up. Keep working all the way to the crash. In this case it might have saved you sliding down the runway. Let us know what they find. I always like learning about the outcome.

Did you perform the emergency gear extension? In a Comanche, if I ever had an issue with the electric system, I would always default to using the emergency gear extension. I've done it once before because I wasn't getting a green light, which ultimately was just a bulb. Apart from a major mechanical break in the system, the emergency extension would ensure having the gear down. Its a simple system to use, and is easily reset once the plane is on jacks, which it should be afterwards to swing the gear and diagnose the problem.

The emergency gear extension procedure on Comanche's is very simple, and it becomes obvious what the position is. Practice it once on jacks since the instructions on the cover can be cryptic. Also, you need to be slow when lowering them manually, which can be a bad time to be too "inside" the plane reading instructions.

It might just be a position sensor too. They require attention from time to time.

Once down, they stay down and you need to go on jacks to get it up. A good thing overall.

Fortunately I had my brother (CFII) with me - and a previous Comanche owner - so I slowed the plan below 100 mph and stayed near airport why he went through checklist. We could see the lever was partway up so we knew the gear was part way up. We elected to fly to airport where mechanic was and do a flyover just to have someone take a look at the gear as we flew by. As it turned out the gear dropped down and locked when we did flyover so we didn’t have to complete emergency procedure. However I do intend to go over that when it’s on jacks

also have the mechanic check the drag torque on the extension system. you need a special tool, the dimensions are in the maintenance manual to make one. that will give you a good idea of the condition of the push/pulls that run from the motor to the gear. if they fail the test, replace them pronto. since it is new to you, have your mechanic replace the bungee cords and make sure the ADs on gear components are really up to speed. a lot of them have been pencil whipped.

Back