GDL50 Port Outlet type?

PiaggioPilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Harry Freeman
I am having the hardest time figuring out what cable I need to buy to charge my GDL50. I lost the cable that it came with but everywhere I look online (including customer support from Garmin) says I just need a micro USB cable to charge it. However, my GDL50 doesn't have a microUSB port. I fly a Piaggio and they directed me to buy the cable with the cigarette lighter end however, we only have USB ports in our cockpit. I feel like it shouldn't be this difficult to find out what cable I need to buy for this port. As you can see in the picture of my 50, that is not a micro usb port. Appreciate any help on this.

IMG_2068.jpg

that is a broken off port.

You can either charge using the Garmin data cable on the opposite side, or have it re-soldered. I have done my port 3x now and have just given up, it's not a durable design and garmin won't fix it.

I've used those phone repair iFixit type businesses for the repairs. They lasted a number of months each time and was under $100. I like soldering but this is beyond my skill level. Those places see it all the time.

Last edited:
Garmin cable, adapter to fit it to your power port. Mine are tucked under the panel. Easy peasy.

Attachments

• IMG_1919.jpg
    IMG_1919.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 7
that is a broken off port.

You can either charge using the Garmin data cable on the opposite side, or have it re-soldered. I have done my port 3x now and have just given up, it's not a durable design and garmin won't fix it.

I've used those phone repair iFixit type businesses for the repairs. They lasted a number of months each time and was under $100. I like soldering but this is beyond my skill level. Those places see it all the time.
Do you know if they sell a data cable with USB end? Or regular power plug end?

I am aware of the bare-wire version and the "cigar lighter" adapter version, which I use. Both are ridiculously priced around $75 or so.

I havne't seen the bare-wire for sale in awhile, but it's out there I bet.

This is the one I use:

This is the garmin spec page for the hardwire version:

I have done my port 3x now and have just given up, it's not a durable design and garmin won't fix it.
I know it would be unclean, but can you just solder a couple of wires to the board, strain relieve them, run them out of the case, and connect them to a port on a breakout board on the outside? Won't address the root cause, but you can turn a $100 fix into a $10 fix...

I know it would be unclean, but can you just solder a couple of wires to the board, strain relieve them, run them out of the case, and connect them to a port on a breakout board on the outside? Won't address the root cause, but you can turn a $100 fix into a $10 fix...

Haha, get out of my head. :) I've been considering a USB-C pigtail like this and soldering it up

and if I send my box in for yet another repair, it's going to be something like this, with slack inside of the box, and the cord sheath taking the strain instead of the board connector. Timely since mine is currently broken yet again.

Truth is, now that Garmin Pilot supports stratus, I am using my GDL50 less and less. It's rare I train in a plane without an ADS-B solution available anymore, and mine has a stratux in the nose that I am finally using.

Back