GDL-82 Aircraft type puzzle

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
I installed a Garmin GDL- 82 in my Sky Arrow last year and it’s worked perfectly to date. I use a homebuilt Stratux which also gets the job done for weather and traffic.

I had a friend help with programming the Garmin. One step is selecting the tail #.

Tail Number
System Configuration
Enter the aircraft tail number. If the aircraft has a U.S. registered tail number, select Compute ICAO to automatically fill in the ICAO address.

My puzzle is that my own ADSB return often shows on my iPhone running WingXPro:

51004056478_8f356fa5fe_z.jpg

Anyone care to guess why I’m showing as a “Schleicher KA 6 CR”? Google tells me that it’s a single-place glider! Something funky with the ICAO database? And what, if anything, might I do to correct the situation?

Not a huge problem, but it does have me wondering.

That’s some sort of objective evidence of The Matrix. Watch your back. :D

Your EFB software needs to be able to detect your own aircraft broadcasts and determine that they are coming from your ship. With Stratux, you need to configure it to specify the 6 hex character code for your aircraft, otherwise it will pass your own broadcasts on to your EFB software as just another target. You can find your 6 hex character code in the FAA registry. Go to https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/Search/NNumberInquiry and enter your N number. I entered N1234A as an example. Find the line that reads like this: Mode S Code (Base 16 / Hex) A061BC . The Hex value is always 6 characters and begins with an A. So in this example, A061BC is the Hex code for N1234A. Edit your 6 character hex code for your N number into the Stratux. Ask Stratus for support on how to do this.

Sounds complicated.

I was wondering whether my unit was sending out the wrong type, or if WingX was messing up the translation. I was planning to fly today anyway, so I asked Knoxville Approach what they showed as my aircraft type. The young lady paused, then came back and said they didn’t display aircraft type. Seems odd, in that it could help them out and doesn’t seem like it would be hard to implement. Next time I fly with buddies I may ask how I show up on their displays.

I did just look it up and my hex code is A5B52D.

May sound complicated, but that is your issue. Set the config in your Stratux or just live with the ghost.

I was planning to fly today anyway, so I asked Knoxville Approach what they showed as my aircraft type. The young lady paused, then came back and said they didn’t display aircraft type. Seems odd, in that it could help them out and doesn’t seem like it would be hard to implement.

IIRC there's a one-to-one mapping from N number to mode S code, and that's all your transponder sends. You'd need to join on a copy of the aircraft registry to get the type, which is probably the way that wingx does it.

Can I do it with a Mac?
Yes, you just connect to the stratux's wireless network and then hit 192.168.10.1 in a browser.

For N467SA, the hex code is A5B52D. Go into any browser and enter the wifi address for Stratux. Go into settings and fine the hex code and enter it as A5B52D.

For N467SA, the hex code is A5B52D. Go into any browser and enter the wifi address for Stratux. Go into settings and fine the hex code and enter it as A5B52D.

Think I just did the deed using my iPad and Safari.

Before:

51157401771_b58684e58f_z.jpg

After:

51158509025_0e6976225e_z.jpg

I did a reboot and the change persisted. Did I do that right? We’re under a tornado warning here so I won’t be able to fly for a while.

FastEddieB I think so. What I understand is that the Stratux generates an ownship message and identifies itself as STRATUX, but if you do the configuration like you did, it will identify itself using the Mode S code which directly relates to your N number. That way EFB software knows which ADS-B Out broadcasts are coming from your equipment and should therefore not be considered as a target.

This whole thing illustrates how easy ADSB can be used to assume somebody flying identity just by changing two numbers - the hex id and the N number.

Which reminds me…

Last flight with two friends for the most part I don’t think I saw prolonged ghosting of my own plane.

51180117837_bddb50d2ee_z.jpg

I think once I saw the Schleicher target pop up very briefly, but not 100% sure.

Look up your n number in the faa database. It shows the hex code assigned to your aircraft. Confirm the n number and hex code are programmed correctly in your gdl82. If you printed a copy of your gdl82 configuration..check it.

I use Stratux also. Have fun..

Look up your n number in the faa database. It shows the hex code assigned to your aircraft. Confirm the n number and hex code are programmed correctly in your gdl82. If you printed a copy of your gdl82 configuration..check it.

I think the GDL82 looked up and programmed the hex code correctly…

51182599295_65b9b01370_z.jpg

Back