GDL 50 battery level?

kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
I have a DGL 50 and Aera 660.

What I can't figure out is how to tell the %battery level in the GDL 50.

Probably RIGHT in front of me.

This is as close as I see but never changes.

Thanks

I think your red arrow is what you're after. Mine charges surprisingly slowly when it's on and flying/feeding my iDevices. In the hangar, I power it off, and run it off of a 2A cigar-lighter-from-AC adapter to get it back to 100% between flights.

I power mine using the data cable/direct DC cigar lighter cord. It's not a usb dongle thing, since I broke my micro-usb port off of the circuit board, for the third time. Annoying device at times.

I think your red arrow is what you're after. Mine charges surprisingly slowly when it's on and flying/feeding my iDevices. In the hangar, I power it off, and run it off of a 2A cigar-lighter-from-AC adapter to get it back to 100% between flights.

I power mine using the data cable/direct DC cigar lighter cord. It's not a usb dongle thing, since I broke my micro-usb port off of the circuit board, for the third time. Annoying device at times.

At home, with the unit "OFF," I can't get the battery to indicate more than my red arrow.

I think I might need a new battery installed. Might send it off to Chris Short LLC.

I have a GDL39, but ForeFlight will tell me an actual battery percentage. I haven't tried with my Aera...

I have a GDL39, but ForeFlight will tell me an actual battery percentage. I haven't tried with my Aera...

George, I think your ForeFlight will do what your Aera won't. Strange. I just bought these hi charge devices.....I think it might be the solution! Testing them now. Hope to fully charge the battery.
s-l1600.jpg

Well, to anyone following this thread.

It was the charger. The old one worked.........but was too weak to charge the DGL50. This new hi-power charger did the trick. Now........fully charged!! See my avatar.....that is my "happy face!"

Interesting. I have 2.1A chargers (which I don't believe complied with an actual usb pd standard to begin with), but I've never seen one like that. I wonder if they forcibly mated a USB-C charging chip to a USB-A connector. I'd be curious to see what the actual current draw is; do you happen to have one of those inline usb volt/ammeter gizmos?

Anyway, glad you were able to get it up!

Last edited:
Interesting. I have 2.1A chargers (which I don't believe complied with an actual usb pd standard to begin with), but I've never seen one like that. I wonder if they forcibly mated a USB-C charging chip to a USB-A connector. I'd be curious to see what the actual current draw is; do you happen to have one of those inline usb volt/ammeter gizmos?

Anyway, glad you were able to get it up!

Interesting that you should ask. I JUST bought this from eBay:
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1754713910...-83c2-9acf8cc06d8e|iid:1|vlpname:vlp_homepage

One hot tip: do NOT do a firmware update on your GDL with a low battery. Bricked mine. Garmin says too bad, can't fix, buy a new one.

Yeah, I should have known better, but also not unreasonable to expect The Borg to be able to service their products.

One hot tip: do NOT do a firmware update on your GDL with a low battery. Bricked mine. Garmin says too bad, can't fix,

I'm pretty sure Chris Short can fix your GDL......he is amazing. Fixed my Aera 660, when Garmin wouldn't touch it!

I'm pretty sure Chris Short can fix your GDL......he is amazing. Fixed my Aera 660, when Garmin wouldn't touch it!

I have mixed feelings about that.

On the one hand, cool.

On the other hand, having weaned myself off Garmin database updates feels like kicking a drug habit. Not sure I want to go back for another hit.

Did it actually charge at 3 amps?

Back