GDL 39 Antenna

eidolon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
eidolon
I have a Garmin GDL 39 ADS-B Receiver that I use in my LSA for traffic and weather. I charge it up and set it in the back window where it works reasonably well. My problem is that the stub antenna on top has broken off and I can't find a replacement anywhere. Garmin is no help. Spruce USA doesn't have them. This appears to be a common problem with GDL 39s as I see many of them advertised on e-bay - without the top stub antenna. I believe there is an external antenna available, but it is advertised as a GPS antenna and Im not sure it would work to receive ADS-B data? In any event, I would prefer the stub antenna that doesn't have a coil of wire laying about. It does still seem to work with what's left of the old antenna, but I'm not real sure I am receiving all the data available in that mode. Anyone have a source for them in the US? (I do see them listed on European & Chinese websites, but don't trust those).

I had a gdl39 on our rv-9a mounted behind the panel that had rg400 cable to a short stub antenna mounted low forward of the firewall. It worked well. The antenna was a straight metal rod with ball on the end and around 3 inches long.

My EchoUAT unit uses a 978 MHz monopole antenna mounted on the airplane belly for ADS-B out. I wired it using RG400 coax.

Can you use something like this for replacement?

I'd just use a $5 antenna with an SMA connector like people use for a stratux.
I just tried mine with ForeFlight and it works fine.
A short cable might not be a bad idea if only to strain relieve the PCB.

edited to add: pm me your address and I'll drop it in the mail to you.

Attachments

• gdl39.jpg
    gdl39.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Stub antenna is available via aircraft spruce (it's a tad longer than the transponder stub antenna)

RG cable with an SMA connector on one end and a BNC connection on the other end can be found on ebay or amazon.

Stub antenna is available via aircraft spruce (it's a tad longer than the transponder stub antenna)

RG cable with an SMA connector on one end and a BNC connection on the other end can be found on ebay or amazon.
Yeah, that's the one we had and it worked well.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. They helped me research the various types of connectors. Looks like what I need is a stub antenna with a male SMA connector with the right size threads to fit the female sma fitting on top of the gdl39. I will visit my local avionics shop for some help there, rather than ordering on line and hoping I get the right sizes & threads. Also, the length of the antenna appears to matter, since it needs to be suited for the 978 to 1090 MHz range of reception.

Attachments

• GDL39.jpg
    GDL39.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2
Back