Gateway Laptop

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi fellow pilots,

A few months ago I purchased a new lap top with Windows 8. I hated Windows 8 and returned the laptop.

I then purchased a new Google tablet and while I liked it, it was hard to read for this 66 year old. I returned it.

I then purchased an IPAD and really love it as I sit in my recliner and read emails, news, and sports. There are some things I don't like but overall I am satisfied.

So, this morning I am on my Gateway laptop, this is being typed on my old Dell Desktop, and I have just finished writing an email to send to my broker about a recent transaction.

I am unable to print out the email because my Gateway laptop doesn't have enough memory.

I am currently in the process of removing programs to clear up memory.

Thanks for hearing me out.

What, in your opinion, should be my next step? Buy a new laptop? Clear up more memory? The Gateway laptop is a moveable head tablet and was purchased in 2009. It has been upgraded to 1 gig of ram. Works fine except it uses Windows XP and is full.

I have 2 desk tops, an Older Dell, and a new Acer that the wife uses.

Your comments please. I really don't care for Apple Products. If I do buy a new laptop, how do I go about putting my Gateway laptop on my new laptop?

Your comments please.

Thanks,
Terry

a larger Hard Drive and additional memory should cost about $150 and should help the laptop last a few more years

Hi fellow pilots,

A few months ago I purchased a new lap top with Windows 8. I hated Windows 8 and returned the laptop.

I then purchased a new Google tablet and while I liked it, it was hard to read for this 66 year old. I returned it.

I am unable to print out the email because my Gateway laptop doesn't have enough memory.

Return all of it and buy a typewriter. :D

Look in the registry and sort all programs by the 'last used' timestamp. Unless it is something system related, delete off all the bloatware and garbage. Unintstall all the little 'helpers' that have made their way onto your machine, deinstall the latest internet explorer and go about 2 versions back. Backup bulk data like pictures and videos of the grandkids onto a portable hard-drive and delete them off the laptop.

Get some cleanup utility that tracks down those gigabyte sized blobs of data that clog up windows PCs out of seemingly nowhere. IF you do any image editing, the programs tend to store humungous temp files and often forget about them.

Solving the problem at hand shouldn't cost a cent. If you can't print due to memory,most likely you are out of hard drive space. With XP, the first place I would look is c:\windows\temp and delete every last thing out of there. Then, I would look in add/remove programs and start ridding yourself of anything you didn't use this year. Only then would I give the nod to a memory upgrade for $20 or so bucks. I thought gateway went away way before 2009 though so that is a little odd to me.

The Gateway laptop is a moveable head tablet and was purchased in 2009. It has been upgraded to 1 gig of ram. Works fine except it uses Windows XP and is full.

I had one of those, and loved it. Great machine (I am looking for another tablet with pen, no one makes one as good as the old Gateway).

Definitely get a RAM upgrade. It's the very best investment there is to extending the life of a PC.
Like another poster said, go into Add/Remove Programs and start viciously removing stuff. If it's still acting up, and if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, consider taking it a PC place and have them clean out old registry items and such.

Back