Gates barricade hose, rough inside

Samuel Seidel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sam
So I am going to be replacing the fuel lines on my Rotax 912, and the Gates Barricade carb hose I ordered has a rough inside. I obtained hose from the auto store and amazon and both seem to have rough interiors. Other hose products seem to have a smooth interior surface. Anyone know why this is?
upload_2021-6-20_20-12-33.jpeg

Because it’s cheap automotive grade. Buy aviation (expensive) stuff.
This is the brand that is recommended for Rotax engines. This isn't a Continental or Lycoming engine. This stuff wasn't cheap either.

My question, is why do the cheaper hoses, I've looked at, have a smooth inside.

Last edited:
Because it’s cheap automotive grade. Buy aviation (expensive) stuff.
Because the avation stuff will swell shut and cause an engine failure if you run E-10 which is otherwise just fine to run in a Rotax.
But, who the heck would want to run pump fuel when you can run 100 LL that will **** up the clutches in your gear box and only costs nearly twice as much.

Because the avation stuff will swell shut and cause an engine failure if you run E-10 which is otherwise just fine to run in a Rotax.
But, who the heck would want to run pump fuel when you can run 100 LL that will **** up the clutches in your gear box and only costs nearly twice as much.
Well said, I'm running E-10 so ethanol compatible hoses are a must.

So I am going to be replacing the fuel lines on my Rotax 912, and the Gates Barricade carb hose I ordered has a rough inside. I obtained hose from the auto store and amazon and both seem to have rough interiors. Other hose products seem to have a smooth interior surface. Anyone know why this is?
View attachment 97488

Are you sure that is ‘barricade?’ Looks like it might be the regular stuff. https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/engine-hose/fuel-line-hose.html

I have a V8 on a C172 and run mostly ethanol car fuel…. I did a lot of research and chose the barricade hose for fuel. I use the 3/8” for feeding engine and 1/4” for return line back to tanks (its an EFI system and regulate fuel pres by returning some back to tanks….also eliminates vapor lock). One thing to remember is ethanol evaporates and is a light gas so it can offet penetrate common rubber hoses after a while, which allows the odor to be noticed, especially in hot conditions and engine bays. The barricade has a layer to prevent this. This odor can be noticeable if run within cab. We inspect the hose annually and it’s in great shape after 4 years.

We also wrap the hose with a reflective foil sleeve that resist chaffing and reflects a lot of heat. That hose comes in an EFI version for high fuel pressure, so it has an extra layer of reinforcement. Our system runs over 60 psi so we use that, and the non EFI version for the return line. Engine is flex fuel rated so we do occasionally use high Ethanol fuels, and the hose is also rated for this, overall, good quality hose for our application.

Attachments

• 1B84767D-214E-4F59-B098-CEED7078D8CB.jpeg
    1B84767D-214E-4F59-B098-CEED7078D8CB.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 6871A114-1F5C-4AEF-896B-31CCE739F3A5.jpeg
    6871A114-1F5C-4AEF-896B-31CCE739F3A5.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back