Gastons V 2008 - Events and Food

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Have we started a thread to discuss events and food/beverages/moon pies yet?

I saw this today, maybe we should get Kent to do a mime to Torn? I thought of him when I saw it, don't know why. Watch it through to the guitar solo at the end... very funny, especially the gesture he uses for "lie".

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4TM3GbxaNLI

OK, I take it back, no Karaoke. :)

Last edited:
i love the expressions, great video Troy. As far as food, i intend to eat.

New People: Its expensive to eat at Gaston's. Some people think the food is mediocre for the price. But the people are worth it.

bringing and cooking your own is more than welcome. i dont see why you couldnt catch a fish and cook it.

i dont see why you couldnt catch a fish and cook it.

The paper confirmation I received in the mail discussed fishing on the White River; where to get your Arkansas fishing license, what's provided, what's not. I guess a boat comes with my cottage? That's what it looked like it said.

Have any of you Gastonites ever paid for a guide for one day and gone fishing?

i love the expressions, great video Troy. As far as food, i intend to eat.

New People: Its expensive to eat at Gaston's. Some people think the food is mediocre for the price. But the people are worth it.
I'll point out that the Sunday Brunch is very good and not too expensive. That's the one meal that everyone should definitely plan on taking together.

The paper confirmation I received in the mail discussed fishing on the White River; where to get your Arkansas fishing license, what's provided, what's not. I guess a boat comes with my cottage? That's what it looked like it said.

Have any of you Gastonites ever paid for a guide for one day and gone fishing?

boat is provided, you must rent the engine. i think that some, Ed Guthrie comes to mind, have spent significant time fishing. im usually too distracted by people and airplanes, plus im not really a fisherman

boat is provided, you must rent the engine. i think that some, Ed Guthrie comes to mind, have spent significant time fishing. im usually too distracted by people and airplanes, plus im not really a fisherman

Did a bit of it as a kid, would have to go buy a pole and reel and tackle now (unless I found someone who had one I could borrow). I'll probably be too busy with airplanes and POA folks anyway.

I'll point out that the Sunday Brunch is very good and not too expensive. That's the one meal that everyone should definitely plan on taking together.

its all relative. compared to Mom's kitchen in Sidnaw, you pay about twice as much for a breakfast buffet vs. an incredible huge home made omelet thats got at least a days worth of nutrition in it. but its about in line i suppose for a meal at a resort.

well, i suppose that chris's theory is that he either gets a stomach full of fish or a stomach full of beer. either way i guess.

After hearing from my fly-fisherman uncle-in-law, apparently the White River is one of the primo places for trout fishing in the U.S. If I remember correctly, he mentioned that "Casting for the Cure" had an event at Gaston's sometime last year near the time of PoA's event.

'If' I can ever make it down there, I plan to bring a fly rod and reel and try my hand at it. As for the boat+motor: I heard from some of the C-170's guys that went there a couple of years ago that if the water is low (due to opened flood gates down stream), the boat is mostly useless, since you can't get past the shoals formed just beyond casting distance from the docks anyway.

This is all hear-say, but I'll throw it in the pot anyway. :)

After hearing from my fly-fisherman uncle-in-law, apparently the White River is one of the primo places for trout fishing in the U.S. If I remember correctly, he mentioned that "Casting for the Cure" had an event at Gaston's sometime last year near the time of PoA's event.

'If' I can ever make it down there, I plan to bring a fly rod and reel and try my hand at it. As for the boat+motor: I heard from some of the C-170's guys that went there a couple of years ago that if the water is low (due to opened flood gates down stream), the boat is mostly useless, since you can't get past the shoals formed just beyond casting distance from the docks anyway.

This is all hear-say, but I'll throw it in the pot anyway. :)

Is fishing from the shore allowed/possible? If the stream is low, you could wade out, too...

If you want to hear from the expert, ask Steve's wife, who (as best I could tell) spent the entire weekend on the river two years ago.

Boat is included, motor is not.

If you want to eat more cost-effectively, you can borrow a van and go into town to the grocery, and the cabins all have fully-equipped kitchens.

and ask Tommy about wading. its really easy when the water is low

If you want to eat more cost-effectively, you can borrow a van and go into town to the grocery, and the cabins all have fully-equipped kitchens.

When you say "fully-equipped", I presume you mean with pans, utensils, etc.?

After hearing from my fly-fisherman uncle-in-law, apparently the White River is one of the primo places for trout fishing in the U.S. ...

There are resorts nearby that guarantee you'll catch a fish. If you can't catch one...:dunno:

You can count every fish in the clear water for as far as you can see.

Yes, indeedy. And, every cabin also has a charcoal grill.

I really enjoyed griling dogs (I think Nick, Brent, and Mike enjoyied it as well)and such on the flight line. This year, if I plan properly, I'd like to add brats and maybe something else for the flightline cafe Friday/Saturday lunch/afternoon.

Mary caught a "grand slam" of trout last year in one day on the North Fork a few miles east of Mountain Home. She and Ed Guthrie hired a guide and they were quite successful at finding and catching.

Mary and my older daugher Cheryl fished from a boat in front of the Gaston's restaurant a couple of years ago and caught enough to have dinner and lunch.

If you can't catch a fish at Gaston's you shouldn't be fishing to begin with.

If you want to hear from the expert, ask Steve's wife, who (as best I could tell) spent the entire weekend on the river two years ago.

Boat is included, motor is not.

I thought the cookout on the flightline was a highlight of the weekend and hope it is repeated next time. I'd just as soon eat all the meals on the flightline if some else is willing to do the work. :D

The wife and I plan to order out for pizzas again this year for the early arrivals. There are several pizzerias in the area. We used the one across the dam in Bull Shoals. When it's closer to the event I'll be happy to take any special requests from the early birds arriving on Thursday and try to have it ready when you get there.

I really enjoyed griling dogs (I think Nick, Brent, and Mike enjoyied it as well)and such on the flight line. This year, if I plan properly, I'd like to add brats and maybe something else for the flightline cafe Friday/Saturday lunch/afternoon.

SCCutler said:

As of now Mary and I will be flying into BPK on the 5th with the club plane so we will have a rental car available also.

As of now Mary and I will be flying into BPK on the 5th with the club plane so we will have a rental car available also.

You don't NEED a rental car at Gastons, the FBO will call and Gastons will send a van to the airport. Now, if you WANT a rental car...:D

or...we might be able to locate a pilot & aircraft or two willing to airlift personnel and supplies into the local theater of operations...B)

You don't NEED a rental car at Gastons, the FBO will call and Gastons will send a van to the airport. Now, if you WANT a rental car...:D

Back