Gaston's Updates

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
New thread to post events/activities/comments from the site of GFL '07.

I'll start with noting that as of 6:00pm Thursday we have 4 planes parked on the grass.

Diamond Katana fm MN
Piper Cherokee fm TX
Mooney fm PA
IAR fm MS

From available info we have enroute today

Cirrus SR22 fm CA
Beech Debonair from TX
(any word fm the Nickster in AZ?)

An informal pizza party is in the works for the early birds tonight, too.

Feel free to add comments/observations

Feel free to add comments/observations

Kaye just called and said she and JoAnne are at Gaston's.

Joe Areeda, Viveca, and Felix are in Texas enroute to KVBT and will spend the night there. I *think* that Nick and Sheri are already at KVBT, or at least enroute to KVBT.

Diamond - Jess and Tristan
Mooney - Ed G
IAR- Steve
Trinnie- Kaye
Cherokee from Tx who is that?

I'm jealous! Just finished my RE license renewal (which had to be done before I left). Have to visit property tomorra; then, off we go, into the ......

Is anyone going to want to ride in the P Baron? I know it's kinna boring compared to some of the neat planes that will be out that-a-way, but offer's open. Kent set the high mark for greasing the landing the first time he flew it!!

BTW, since we're leaving Sat A.M., if we need to bring something--water, whatever, e-mail me tommorra. Looking forward to seeing all.

Oh, Hayden's in for a surprise Saturday. Tell ya bout it later.

Best,

Dave

Excellent Dave. I just posted in another thread I wanna see plenty of post with haydens photo

I'm jealous! Just finished my RE license renewal (which had to be done before I left). Have to visit property tomorra; then, off we go, into the ......

Is anyone going to want to ride in the P Baron? I know it's kinna boring compared to some of the neat planes that will be out that-a-way, but offer's open. Kent set the high mark for greasing the landing the first time he flew it!!

BTW, since we're leaving Sat A.M., if we need to bring something--water, whatever, e-mail me tommorra. Looking forward to seeing all.

Oh, Hayden's in for a surprise Saturday. Tell ya bout it later.

Best,

Dave
Dave, I would LOVE a ride in the P Baron!!

O.K. guys! We'll just have to hop back to BPK to get back to her.

Oh! we were discussing having Hayden parachute in, but couldn't get a decent chute rigged up <snicker>. And, the P-Baron's just not a good drop plane.

Best,

Dave

Didn't you land the Baron on Grass at Gastons Last year Dave or was it another plane.

i think he had the A36 last year adam.

Not the P-Baron Adam. I took the A-36 last year right out of the maintenance shop. They didn't have the timing set quite right, but it took me some time to figure that out <g>. Didn't stay a long time because I had to pick the plane up, get up there; then, get my pac (Brandon Masso) home at a decent hour.

Mr. P hasn't been on grass and really isn't designed for that. Insurance folks don't like that in this plane. Pretty heavy load on the tires and the props are a bit close to the ground: if one main hits a hole, the prop is outside the main and can get real low; real fast. Chip has owned a P-Baron and recommended against it; that settles it for me <g>

Bruce landed his Seneca there and Lance landed his 55 Baron. Nice birds. Lighter, better short strip capability, and better climb. I'm flying a little airliner: you know, pressurized, air conditioned all that cushy stuff <g>

Best,

Dave

Cherokee from TX is Bill Mitchell...DrBill w/wife and two of their children

Also landing before dark:

Bellanca Viking from TX
Beech Debonair from TX (despite being told TX was over quota it landed anyway)

And EdFred is now in the pattern :eek:

TX is leading the count by state so far...

Diamond - Jess and Tristan
Mooney - Ed G
IAR- Steve
Trinnie- Kaye
Cherokee from Tx who is that?

Last edited:
Dean Family Gaston's Day #1. I'll post the airplane photos tomorrow.

James Dean

Attachments

• James Fishing.JPG
    James Fishing.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • James Swiming.JPG
    James Swiming.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • Mama Kellen Swiming.JPG
    Mama Kellen Swiming.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • Skylar With Her Fish.JPG
    Skylar With Her Fish.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

He wasn't joking. I landed well after sundown. 6.5 hours of getting my butt kicked by headwinds. From Grand Rapids to Indianapolis I never saw a groundspeed above 85kts, with an average in the 70s. From Indy to H88 I was in the 80s, and I didn't see 100kts GS until I was 35nm from Gaston's and even then it was only 102kts for about 3 minutes.

Ha.

I guess I should not talk at all about the 232 knot GS in glassy smooth air at 9,000 on the way up... should I?

Ed made that night landing look easy.

And Hi back at ya, Adam!

I'm in beautiful Bentonville, AR right now. I just got out of the hot tub. Might go back in in a few minutes. Had to take a break. I feel so comfortable right now.

Ahhh.

He wasn't joking. I landed well after sundown. 6.5 hours of getting my butt kicked by headwinds. From Grand Rapids to Indianapolis I never saw a groundspeed above 85kts, with an average in the 70s. From Indy to H88 I was in the 80s, and I didn't see 100kts GS until I was 35nm from Gaston's and even then it was only 102kts for about 3 minutes.
zoinks. sounds rather unfun. glad you made it ok.

He wasn't joking. I landed well after sundown.

Like, in the utter darkness of night? :hairraise: How'd ya do that? It's not exactly like 6Y9 where you just aim for the only light-colored spot within a hundred miles! :rofl: What was the status of the moon when you landed?

I think it's official - You are now the second-most insane person on PoA. :goofy:

Fly Fishing with Mary See (repeat photo)

I posted the attached photos in another thread but for those interested in fly fishing the White River and Norfork River, here's the evidence.

Attachments

• IMG_2815.JPG
    IMG_2815.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Like, in the utter darkness of night? :hairraise: How'd ya do that? It's not exactly like 6Y9 where you just aim for the only light-colored spot within a hundred miles! :rofl: What was the status of the moon when you landed?

I think it's official - You are now the second-most insane person on PoA. :goofy:

Moon? No clue, it was overcast when I landed. You still aim for the light colored area. You could see the lake and the dam, and then a row of lights where all the cottages are. Plus they had floods pointed out over the river, I know if I stay at 1500' I'm safe in the area, and you could make out the bluff to the east, and I could see the river below me. Make the turn inside the bluff, make the dogleg turn to final, aim between the "goalposts" and then when the landing light showed a hitching post, I knew I was golden. I would have NOT done it the first time coming in, and wouldn't suggest anyone else try it, but I knew exactly where I was, and really was a non event.

How dark was it? I couldn't see a tie down spot without the landing light shining right at one. :yes:

He wasn't joking. I landed well after sundown. 6.5 hours of getting my butt kicked by headwinds. From Grand Rapids to Indianapolis I never saw a groundspeed above 85kts, with an average in the 70s.

Welcome to my speed zone with a 95 hp Pa-18. I bet I burn less fuel. I am hoping we can get out in the AM, we are in NW Louisiana.
John

Moon? No clue, it was overcast when I landed. You still aim for the light colored area. You could see the lake and the dam, and then a row of lights where all the cottages are. Plus they had floods pointed out over the river, I know if I stay at 1500' I'm safe in the area, and you could make out the bluff to the east, and I could see the river below me. Make the turn inside the bluff, make the dogleg turn to final, aim between the "goalposts" and then when the landing light showed a hitching post, I knew I was golden. I would have NOT done it the first time coming in, and wouldn't suggest anyone else try it, but I knew exactly where I was, and really was a non event.

How dark was it? I couldn't see a tie down spot without the landing light shining right at one. :yes:
I believe I said "there are only a couple of people that would attempt this"

All we could see was a landing light. Tristan and I both thought it was a high wing Cessna until you passed us. I could barely make out N2212R. Then it all made sense.

Coming in to Gaston's yesterday (for the first time ever) was .... interesting.

On the GPS, I knew where it was 'supposed' to be, but we were going on faith as we threaded through the canyon at "pattern altitude" of about 1297. My wife is starting to sound nervous as she reiterates "I don't see it", and I'm going through all those times in the past where I've been in similar circumstances as the runway is always where the last guy left it.

Then.... WHAM, there it is! Now it's a matter of stabilizing the approach that before was purely on the numbers, without visual confirmation that we had a real goal in front of where the downwind/base/final track would actually put us on the ground. My wife said she didn't see the whole thing, as sometime during the procedure, she .... closed her eyes. :dunno:

Wow, there's the trees, just like in the pictures... thread the goal post... flare... touch down... roll out..... find parking.

Pretty cool, if you're into this sort of thing.:D

Last edited:
Tony and Matt gave EdFred a run for the latest landing in the day title, but still managed to get down and parked without incident. A rousing cheer from the brat diners greeted them when the doors on the C-140 opened, a scene reminiscent of Lindbergh's arrival in Paris...:)

Tony and Matt gave EdFred a run for the latest landing in the day title, but still managed to get down and parked without incident. A rousing cheer from the brat diners greeted them when the doors on the C-140 opened, a scene reminiscent of Lindbergh's arrival in Paris...:)
Or Brook's arrival at Wings!:rofl::yes:

Back