Gaston's Trip

Don Jones

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DJones
The wife and I just got back from Gaston's on Monday. We had a great time, the weather was nice. Mornings and evenings were cool, around 60 with daytime highs near 90. Humidity was fairly low as well, at least for that part of the country. We flew out with another couple from here, us in our Warrior, them in a gorgeous Cardinal. As promised here are some pics. They are not all that great, they lost quite a bit resizing them for the website. Enjoy
Don

http://www.zianet.com/d_ejones/

Awesome pictures. Love the wolfpack red cardinal airplane. :yes:

Gaston's looks like a lot of fun. Maybe I will make it there in 2006.

Re: Gaston's Trip - Diana, Please Take Notes.

Don Jones said:
...Gaston's on Monday...the weather was nice. Mornings and evenings were cool, around 60 with daytime highs near 90. Humidity was fairly low as well...

Diana, repeat after me. North in summer, south in winter. North in summer, south in winter.:rofl:

wow - great pix Don! Sounds like a blast! Isn't Gaston's wonderful?

Ed Guthrie said:
Diana, repeat after me. North in summer, south in winter. North in summer, south in winter.:rofl:

Thats funny Ed, I would have to say it probably was considerably more
comfortable than June. It was not cool during the heat of the day by
any means, but it was not bad at all. If you got out real early, you almost
need a jacket, perfect. The haze was still there all the way from NM and leaving out for Hot Springs early Sunday was low vis as well as seen in some of the pics. (at least for someone used to 100 mile plus vis)
Don

Don Jones said:
The wife and I just got back from Gaston's on Monday. We had a great time, the weather was nice.
Don, thanks for posting your pictures. Looks like you had a wonderful time. :)

How did you like the location of the wind sock? Looks like Danny put it where our judging tent normally goes.

Ed Guthrie said:

LOL! Ed, I'm hearing you, I'm just not listening. ;)

Besides, we should give Chip one last chance to "shine" as our weather coordinator/manipulator for the June gathering. :yes:

Diana said:
LOL! Ed, I'm hearing you, I'm just not listening. ;)

Besides, we should give Chip one last chance to "shine" as our weather coordinator/manipulator for the June gathering. :yes:
Uh, I believe I voted for October at Gaston's. For June I can deliver hot, muggy weather or rain. Please let me know which you prefer. :)

gibbons said:
Uh, I believe I voted for October at Gaston's. For June I can deliver hot, muggy weather or rain. Please let me know which you prefer. :)

I think you'd be safe promising both--at the same time.

Diana said:
LOL! Ed, I'm hearing you, I'm just not listening.

Wait a minute. Was I married to you at one time?

gibbons said:
Chip, how about crisp, cool starry nights (romantic fog caressing the river) and mild temperate days of deep blue sky with occasional bright white puffy clouds and a gentle breeze?

Diana said:
Chip, how about crisp, cool starry nights (romantic fog caressing the river) and mild temperate days of deep blue sky with occasional bright white puffy clouds and a gentle breeze?

Not Chip, but it sounds good. And it doesn't sound like June. ;)

Diana said:

Hmmm, sounds like October to me :rofl: :yes:
Don

Diana said:
Is a steady breeze out of the west OK, or would you like it to shift from west to east depending on whether you're landing or taking off?

gibbons said:
Is a steady breeze out of the west OK, or would you like it to shift from west to east depending on whether you're landing or taking off?
The former would be lovely, but the latter would be preferable. :)

Why the debate between June and October dates? Let's solve the problem by having two Gaston's trips a year!

bstratt said:
Why the debate between June and October dates? Let's solve the problem by having two Gaston's trips a year!

Build it, and they will come.

I work outside and was thinking about flying as I work (duh! who doesn't) and places I need to go this week. Then Thinking of flying in the fall to Gastons. I hate the heat. Something I wanted to mention about Oct. is this time of year the weather changes from cool to hot frequently but one thing is quite consistant HAZE and FOG. Just something to think about if you go to Gastons in Oct there is a very good chance for long hours of setting on the ground waiting for the fog to lift and some days that may not be until 10:00am. I know you all thought it was HAZEY last June that is nothing compared to what happens this time of year.

The other thing that you will have to deal with in Oct. is about 11 hours of Day light.

KHRO280530Z 280606 13006KT 3SM BR SKC TEMPO 0610 1SM BR SCT035 FM1000 15005KT 3SM BR BKN035 TEMPO 1014 1SM BR BKN030 FM1500 17008KT 6SM HZ BKN050 FM1800 23008KT P6SM OVC030

Just something for you all to consider.

dogman said:
I work outside and was thinking about flying as I work (duh! who doesn't) and places I need to go this week. Then Thinking of flying in the fall to Gastons. I hate the heat. Something I wanted to mention about Oct. is this time of year the weather changes from cool to hot frequently but one thing is quite consistant HAZE and FOG. Just something to think about if you go to Gastons in Oct there is a very good chance for long hours of setting on the ground waiting for the fog to lift and some days that may not be until 10:00am. I know you all thought it was HAZEY last June that is nothing compared to what happens this time of year.

The other thing that you will have to deal with in Oct. is about 11 hours of Day light.

KHRO280530Z 280606 13006KT 3SM BR SKC TEMPO 0610 1SM BR SCT035 FM1000 15005KT 3SM BR BKN035 TEMPO 1014 1SM BR BKN030 FM1500 17008KT 6SM HZ BKN050 FM1800 23008KT P6SM OVC030

Just something for you all to consider.

What's it like in the early springtime, say late April or early May? If the wx was OK I'd definitely favor moving the date up to then. For one thing, my plate is usually a lot less full that time of year, and southward trips seem to make the spring arrive a bit sooner emotionally.

Back