Gaston's to Houston, TX

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hi Folks,

Since Gaston's is almost exactly halfway from here to Houston, TX I decided to fly down and visit my sister (a NASA engineer) after Gaston's. However, NASA threw a wrench into the works - She now has to go to Florida to inspect something on Monday before it's launched. So, I'm looking for cool things to see and do and a place to stay Sunday night. Options are wide open. Any suggestions as to where else I could fly on the way?

I'm also interested in what it's like flying around Houston. I'll be going into EFD. Does Houston Approach allow any sort of "city tour" type of thing in the class B, or do they ignore us little birds like Chicago does? What about good $100 burger runs?

Thanks,

Kent Shook
PP-ASEL, KMSN
Skylane N271G

Steve hit some good items. It depends on what you like to do :D

Moody Gardens is walking distance (though you can hitch a ride) from KGLS. So is the flight museum.

Johnson Space center is worth the trip.

If you like sports, see if the Astros are in town.

If you like museums and/or arts, there are several decent museums in Houston, including a science museum (nice collection of rocks) and an outdoor sculpture garden.

There's a nice wine bar south side of downtown. A couple of nice clubs in town.

There is a theater district - often has good shows.

Good restaurants in the Galleria area, and a few in the Montrose area. Shopping at Galleria.

Gilley's is long gone, but there are other decent nightclubs around.

With a car, lots of options....

"On the way"? Addison and DAL, the Cavanaugh museum at ADS (everyone who sees it is flat amazed that it is a private collection and is so large and good); Frontiers of Flight museum at DAL.

Or stop off at Fredericksburg (T82), stay at the Hangar Hotel, sit on the porch and watch airplanes come and go at one of the nicest GA fields you'll see, and definitely the best airport hotel ever...

...but in answer to your query about Houston app, expect few favors. If you are not IFR, they frequently have no interest in you, often decline the handoff from center if you are VFR flight following coming in. "Radar service terminated, squawk VFR, g'day." A real difference from Dallas area.

Also, if you intend to do any flying close in VFR, you MUST get the TAC; the controllers assume that you have it, will issue instructions that you pretty much cannot follow without it.

EFD is a nice field, but if you are coming in from Arkansas-way, you'll either want to be IFR or keep it low and east, so to speak... way under the CO jets coming into IAH.

Big second vote on the Lone Star Flight Museum at Scholes in Galveston.

You'll like the big, honkin' tower CU that build up around Houston in the summer afternoons.

Have fun. Houston's a great place.

Last edited:
SCCutler said:
Big second vote on the Lone Star Flight Museum at Scholes in Galveston.

Ditto.

Wow... I may just have to go all the way on Sunday! I was actually wondering more about side trips, places in between, etc. However, this is all good stuff.

Steve said:
Johnson Space Center has a nice tour.

Or maybe "had"... Are you talking the Disney tour, or the old tour? They kind of sold off the tour operations. However, I get the extra-special VIP tour due to my sister being an engineer there. I'm planning on doing that on Wednesday during the day. I'll be sure to post pictures of me sitting in the Space Shuttle sim! :yes:

I'll have to do Moody Gardens and the Lone Star flight museum.

I'll also have to buy a TAC!

SCCutler said:
Or stop off at Fredericksburg (T82), stay at the Hangar Hotel, sit on the porch and watch airplanes come and go at one of the nicest GA fields you'll see, and definitely the best airport hotel ever...

Hmmm... Might have to give that a try too!

SCCutler said:
EFD is a nice field, but if you are coming in from Arkansas-way, you'll either want to be IFR or keep it low and east, so to speak... way under the CO jets coming into IAH.

Thanks for the tip! Wish I could be IFR, but my checkride will be a couple days after I get back. :(

Kent Shook
PP-ASEL, KMSN

Back