Gastons: Tie-down stakes, Wings CFI, and grass landing help

Ed Guthrie

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ed Guthrie
I haven't figured out if there is an organized place to post all of this, so I'll ball it all up into one post.

Please email, PM, or just talk to me at Gaston's if you would like to:

1. Borrow a set of tie-down stakes (3). I have two full sets and I'll only be using one set--the other is available if you need it. The set I'll loan out is composed of the classic telephone pole stakes (steel helical disc on a rod), but no ropes provided (bring your own). I'll bring the tool for twisting the stakes into the ground--you provide the muscle. I thought someone might like to borrow a set if you don't envision visiting an un-improved airport again in the near future. Beats buying a set and watching them rust in your closet.

2. Fly for a Wings level certificate. One to three hours as you desire. I'll volunteer my CFI time to anyone interested.

3. Have a ride along for landing at Gaston's if you want to bring your airplane to the resort but you don't feel comfortable making your first grass landing (or first Gaston's landing) on your own. I will meet you at whatever hard surface airport to which the resort provides shuttle rides (unless someone wants to volunteer an air shuttle service). I'll be at Gaston's by ~Noon Friday. The alternative to pre-planning (email or PM) is to holler on Gaston's unicom before heading off to one of the paved runways. I'll meet you there.

Again, email or PM, or see me at Gaston's if you'd like to avail yourself of any or all of the above.

Diane, et al., please boot this post to where it might be better served if any or all of these are covered elsewhere.

Ed Guthrie said:
Please email, PM, or just talk to me at Gaston's if you would like to:

2. Fly for a Wings level certificate. One to three hours as you desire. I'll volunteer my CFI time to anyone interested.

The same goes for Tom. If anyone is interested in flying for the Wings certificate and if Ed is already busy, just let Tom know. :)

OK folks. Here's your chance to fly with a couple of very, very good instructors. You should take advantage of this. I did my CFI with Tom and have nothing but great things to say about his abilities as an instructor (and about how much fun it is to fly with him).

Chip

gibbons said:
OK folks. Here's your chance to fly with a couple of very, very good instructors. You should take advantage of this. I did my CFI with Tom and have nothing but great things to say about his abilities as an instructor (and about how much fun it is to fly with him).

Chip
But I get Tom for two hours. He's getting some Multi dual. And I too will do some dual if desired...

Last edited:
Stakes: Have they had any rain? Last year the ground was ~5000psi concrete. Take a large mallet if dry and you hope to pound them in.

Makes me wish I was going now. WAY COOL of you Ed and Tom!
Id give you rep points if i could.

Hey - if anyone wants to take an hour or so and show me how to do a chandelle or a Lazy 8, I'm game. :D

Im no where near the caliber of instructor as Ed, Tom, Chip, or Bruce, but will also fly with you for Wings time. PM me, first come first serve. No Charge for fun flying. Hopefully NAFI doesnt see this post :)

tonycondon said:
Im no where near the caliber of instructor as Ed, Tom, Chip, or Bruce, but will also fly with you for Wings time. PM me, first come first serve. No Charge for fun flying. Hopefully NAFI doesnt see this post :)
Hey Tony, are we still on for spins and acro? :)

gibbons said:
I did my CFI with Tom and have nothing but great things to say about his abilities as an instructor (and about how much fun it is to fly with him).
Chip
Well aren't you sweet! :) Extra blueberries for you! :yes:

Diana said:
Hey Tony, are we still on for spins and acro? :)

yes! i am bringing my chute. you tell me when/where/how much

tonycondon said:
yes! i am bringing my chute. you tell me when/where/how much
When are you arriving at Gaston's? Hummm, how much..... just don't tell anyone if I mess up and do an ugly roll or loop? That should cover it. :)

jesse and i will be rolling in mid afternoon friday. probably by 4

Oh man this is awesome. I will take any instruction from you fine folks that I can get. I'm like a recurrent training junkie.

I'll take an hour or more with all and any CFI's offering their services.

Back