Gaston's... Summary please!

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
OK, so for those of us who can't read every post on the board, it's getting kind of hard to keep track of all the Gaston's info. So, could someone please summarize the important things, such as...

1) Meals. Of course there's brunch on Sunday, but are we cooking out ourselves on Saturday? Sounded like yes, then no, then yes, then no... I want to know if I should bring brats and such with me.

2) Other events. (What's this about football?)

3) I have saved the info about arriving at 3M0 somewhere, but seeing it re-posted here would be very appropriate and helpful to someone, I'm sure.

4) Who's giving neato airplane rides? :)

5) anything else that should be known.

Thanks,

Kent Shook
PP-ASEL, KMSN
Skylane N271G

flyingcheesehead said:
1) Meals. Of course there's brunch on Sunday, but are we cooking out ourselves on Saturday? Sounded like yes, then no, then yes, then no... I want to know if I should bring brats and such with me.

Boy, if I only knew how to answer that one, I could give Gaston's an accurate number for reservations for Friday and Saturday nights. :)

Tom and I will plan to eat in the restaurant. I don't want to go to town to get groceries and cook and clean up. I just want to fly and hang out by the runway, and then be pampered in the restaurant.

I did make reservations for 7:30 for possibly 22 people for dinner on Friday, and on Saturday as many as 50 people. Maybe people could let me know if they want me to take them off the lists for dinner reservations.

flyingcheesehead said:
2) Other events. (What's this about football?)

Well, Ed Fred won't be there, so I don't know who is playing against Michael. Steve See is only playing football if "the lingerie league is playing..." ;)

I decided to bring different sizes of ace wraps after reading about the football game. I may bring my blood pressure equipment, too. Surely I won't need my pulse oximeter?

Some folks may be fishing, some may be hanging out at the pool, and some may be out on the hiking trails. There's a bar, too.

I will be out on the runway judging landings or flying, or hopefully being flown.

flyingcheesehead said:
3) I have saved the info about arriving at 3M0 somewhere, but seeing it re-posted here would be very appropriate and helpful to someone, I'm sure.

Read these:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2332&page=1&pp=20

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2450

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1745

Check out Steve's comments on #13 on the last one

flyingcheesehead said:
4) Who's giving neato airplane rides? :)

I don't know yet, but I'm in line ahead of you for all of them! ;)

I can take people for a little hop around the area if they don't make me exceed weight and balance.

flyingcheesehead said:
5) anything else that should be known.

Landings will be judged. Judges can be bribed. :goofy:

Dave Taylor and I have mentioned name tags. It would be nice if we knew who people were somehow.

There are some pilots from the Citabria forum coming from all over to join us for the weekend. Also folks from a local EAA Chapter on Sunday and at least one RV from an RV group. So we don't really have a name as a group. A nice mix of people, actually. :)

Toby and Carol T. are in charge of prizes and awards, and that's all I know about that committee.

Anybody else want to chime in?

So then, the final answer is no to the BBQ then?

Attached is a topographical view of the runway at Gaston's. I haven't been there, but various posts describing tight terrain, ridges along the runway, cliffs, etc. caused me to check a topo map. (IOW, y'all got my undivided attention.) On the attached map, the runway is located in the lower left corner. As a quick & dirty map distance reference, the runway is 3200' long. According to the AF/D, all landings are RWY 24; all departures are RWY 6.

Things to note on the topo map:

The dotted line crossing the river at the eastern bend (power line).

Additional pair of dotted dotted lines you can't see, crossing the river N/S just west of the runway.

The ridges topping 800' MSL while the runway is 479' MSL. IOW, the ridges are significant, but they are only ~400' AGL the runway.

According to an NTSB accident report I read, departing aircraft having slower climb rates will often proceeding NE after departing the runway. I assume from the description that the slow climb flight path is along the valley departing the main river valley to the NE (extends toward the upper right corner of the attached map.

If you wish to check the local terrain yourself, I used http://www.topozone.com. Enter 036, 20.9 for lattitude and 92, 33.4 for longitude under "Latitude/Longitude - Degrees and Decimal Minutes". If you wish to create and print a custom map, CRTL+PRINTSCRN allowed me to screen capture and paste into MS Paint. I would suggest doing your own research and then reaching your own conclusions.

IOW, I don't trust my judgement--you shouldn't either.

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:
So then, the final answer is no to the BBQ then?

We didn't have enough certainty (d/t possible weather issues) to commit to planning to Gaston's catering option with their request for a 7 day advance notice with definite numbers.

If you want BBQ, you can run to town and get the food and cook it. If y'all do that, you might let me know so that I can let Gaston's know there will be less for dinner reservations. I told them the numbers will change frequently. :yes:

And if you prefer a different time for dinner either Friday or Saturday nights, you might let me know so that I can drop your name from my head count.

Ed Guthrie said:
Attached is a topographical view of the runway at Gaston's. I haven't been there, but various posts describing tight terrain, ridges along the runway, cliffs, etc. caused me to check a topo map.

Thanks for the map Ed.
This will be my first long x-country and I was curious what to expect I think the topo spelled it out very well

Diana said:
Tom and I will plan to eat in the restaurant. I don't want to go to town to get groceries and cook and clean up. I just want to fly and hang out by the runway, and then be pampered in the restaurant.

I'm there. I cook and clean a good deal here at home, this is VACATION!

Anybody else want to chime in?

OK, I'm there wrt rides, too :D

I would like to setup a east vs west football game. maybe flag football if we can get some donated rags. and a ball. maybe the loosers can wash the winners planes?

Michael said:
I would like to setup a east vs west football game. maybe flag football if we can get some donated rags. and a ball. maybe the loosers can wash the winners planes?

Ahh - but that's not fair. The west team will have the baddest, meanest, largest lineman that currently holds a pilot license in the United States...

Count me in. If we lose, do we use simple green to clean the winner's plane? :)

This is going to be a GREAT game. I will stand on the sidelines and yell (natural talent not apparent over the Internet).

Re: Gaston's... Summary please! Need a room?

Well, it doesn't look like I will be able to make the fly-in at Gastons this weekend. My daughter and her family totalled out their 4-Runner when a gal ran a stopsign. They're all OK, just a few loose teeth in my grandson and sore from the seat belts. The gal that ran the stopsign has no insurance and as a Dad I need to concentrate on getting them taken care of. If anyone can use it please let me know. This is the $109 room I got from Airwoofer. Thanks, Steve.

Sorry to hear that Steve, but thankfully the family is okay. Cars can be replaced!

Re: Gaston's... Summary please! Need a room?

Slinky said:
Well, it doesn't look like I will be able to make the fly-in at Gastons this weekend. My daughter and her family totalled out their 4-Runner when a gal ran a stopsign. They're all OK, just a few loose teeth in my grandson and sore from the seat belts. The gal that ran the stopsign has no insurance and as a Dad I need to concentrate on getting them taken care of. If anyone can use it please let me know. This is the $109 room I got from Airwoofer. Thanks, Steve.

Wow, Steve, I'm sorry to hear about your family's accident. :(

Good thing they have you to help them out.

We'll miss ya at Gaston's. I was hoping to meet you, and to get a ride in your Citabria. Maybe next year?

Sorry to hear, Steve, hope everyone recovers soon. Late 2001 a red light runner hit my wife and totalled our Grand Cherokee. Luckily, she only had minor bumps/bruises.

Does her state require insurance?

Seeing that I reinjured my groin playing football, I might be able to help slinky out - by showing up to Gaston's along with a couple cases of RC Cola. Can someone get me the reservation details?

Why does a groin injury have anything to do with this? I play in a football league, and that would have precluded me from making the Gaston's trip as games are on Saturday. If I go on the DL for a week, I can fly into Gaston's.

Last edited:
N2212R said:
Seeing that I reinjured my groin playing football, I might be able to help slinky out - by showing up to Gaston's along with a couple cases of RC Cola. Can someone get me the reservation details?

Why does a groin injury have anything to do with this? I play in a football league, and that would have precluded me from making the Gaston's trip as games are on Saturday. If I go on the DL for a week, I can fly into Gaston's.

I predict that your injury should heal sometime next Sunday night at the earliest.

N2212R said:

Go here: http://www.gastons.com and give them a call. Most of us will arrive Saturday in the midday, leave Sunday afternoon. Many will be there Friday.

Michael said:

Having recuperated one MCL injury, how about something a little less contact sport related--i.e. softball? Is there room for a softball diamond on that large flat space I see on the topo? East versus West? I can bring a couple of mits and a softball in case someone doesn't have their own mit. Twist my arm and I'll even volunteer to purchase a bat if no one else has one.

Besides, I lived 5 years in the deep south. Trust me. Y'all don't want to be running in 99 degree, 99% humidity heat. Play softball. Hit the ball deep. Stroll to first base. You'll thank me later.

Last edited:
Ed Guthrie said:
Having recuperated one MCL injury, how about something a little less contact sport related--i.e. softball? Is there room for a softball diamond on that large flat space I see on the topo? East versus West? I can bring a couple of mits and a softball in case someone doesn't have their own mit. Twist my arm and I'll even volunteer to purchase a bat if no one else has one.

Id play east vs west frisbie if anyone else would. Softball sounds fun Ed. Count me in.

Michael

uh oh - I just happen to play for a softball team that just won its last game by almost 20 runs....I'm game for softball :)

NickDBrennan said:
uh oh - I just happen to play for a softball team that just won its last game by almost 20 runs....I'm game for softball :)

Did we explain the rules? Stash of cold beer on 2nd base. Anyone reaching 2nd base on a stand up hit must consume one beer before proceeding to 3rd.

Tends to level the playing field, so to speak.

Its yours Ed if you want it. The reservation is for a standard cottage Saturday night(one king bed and one double bed) with kitchen.That would sure help out with things here. It's the one I got from Chris for $109. Tailwinds, Steve.

Guys, I have a reservation for the less-costly ($87.00) hotel room accommodations for Saturday night, traveling with wife and son, care to do a swap so we are not so cramped? Three of us could use the added space and the kitchen for kid-munchies... let me know, it'd be a big help!

SCCutler said:
Guys, I have a reservation for the less-costly ($87.00) hotel room accommodations for Saturday night, traveling with wife and son, care to do a swap so we are not so cramped? Three of us could use the added space and the kitchen for kid-munchies... let me know, it'd be a big help!

Spike - I'll get the info from Steve, and then we can figure something out for a swap I think I'm going to fly down Friday afternoon, so I'd be looking at a 2 night stay. Let's see how much we can confuse the reservation people at Gaston's.

Diana, do you know if Gaston's provides towels for the pool?

Back