Gaston's Ride Share Thread

There's NO tent camping allowed at Gastons, but there is a campground not too far away, if I recall correctly.

Yes, there are several campgrounds and cabins less than a mile down the road, we stayed at Copper Johns two years ago. It would be cheaper to run to Wal-Mart, buy a tent and donate to someone when you left, rather than rent a cabin at Gaston's. Cabins at Copper John's are about 1/3 less than Gaston's too, plus the are only about 5 years old, not 60.

Plus, it's the only plane piloted by a Virtual Being in a computer!

I can assure you that Jay is a very real person, Spike. Remember, he's Tron Guy not Tron. ;)

Just for fun, here's some performance data for Gaston's, assuming I am by myself, 2/3 fuel, no wind, adjusted +20% for grass:

Ground Roll 1900
Over 50' Obstacle 3300
Accelerate - Stop 3600

I don't like A-S distances that are longer than the runway. The P is a small airliner, not a good grass performer.

Yeah, those numbers are not so hot for Gaston's. Certainly doesn't give you a lot of safety factor. Do you figure you'll fly into Mountain Home and hitch a ride?

I looked briefly through the manual on the Aztec last night, but I need to take it home and read through it thoroughly. I remember the distances all left plenty of room for 6Y9 and Gaston's, but obviously I'll need to read through them carefully. It amazes me how quickly the plane gets off the ground.

Different planes for different missions.

All it takes is money... :)

I'll stick to my Garmin 150 and dual KX170Bs for the time being - those seem to do the job without costing me any additional money right now. ;)

Last year, you may recall, we got an eye-witness report of a DC-3 which visited.

All these cool-sounding planes... Gawd I wish I could go! Darn family obligations on surrounding weekends and the resulting budget constraints that come with them!

Forget "Budget" PJ - Just go. You won't regret it. :)

Chip gave Dave excellent advise about the P-Baron not doing well at Gaston's; Dave didn't listen before. He is on Chip's wavelength from now on :rofl:. It was 40 seconds from lift off to Blue Line when Jason and Larry were aboard. 1/2 fuel, but hot. Long period of time where if I'd lost an engine, we'd have gone swimming. I don't mind swimming there, but really don't want to wear a P-Baron while doing it.

Best,

Dave

Just for fun, here's some performance data for Gaston's, assuming I am by myself, 2/3 fuel, no wind, adjusted +20% for grass:

Ground Roll 1900
Over 50' Obstacle 3300
Accelerate - Stop 3600

I don't like A-S distances that are longer than the runway.

There's certainly 400 feet of flat grass (much more, really) past the end of the runway should the decision be "stop" though...

However, I don't disagree with the decision not to take the P into Gaston's at all. I was surprised when Dave brought his in, after he showed me the prop clearance on the pavement at Mountain Home the previous year... :yikes:

actually it was a very lightly loaded 421. And I dont think Dave will be bringing the P Baron in this year. While technically long enough to get airborne its not the safest strip in the event of engine failure for a pressurized twin.

A lot depends on the firmness of the runway and the wind. If it's soft and/or the conditions require a downwind departure the takeoff roll gets a lot longer. Fortunately you really don't need to clear any obstacles for another few thousand feet and you can get an extra 100 ft by starting across the "road". I'd say it might be doable if you're pretty light and the wheels are big.

Chip gave Dave excellent advise about the P-Baron not doing well at Gaston's; Dave didn't listen before. He is on Chip's wavelength from now on :rofl:. It was 40 seconds from lift off to Blue Line when Jason and Larry were aboard. 1/2 fuel, but hot. Long period of time where if I'd lost an engine, we'd have gone swimming. I don't mind swimming there, but really don't want to wear a P-Baron while doing it.

Best,

Dave

Yeah, the temp tends to be on the warm side unless you depart early in the AM. Loosing an engine coming out of Gaston's wouldn't be much fun in any airplane but I agree you'd have a hard time stopping on the downsloping grass if you had to abort before reaching blueline.

Two years ago a Beech 18 came in and out...

Hmm. Too bad our airport mascot is undergoing some fix-ups right now. I better start planning for Gaston's X and think of ways to raise like a million dollars in fuel costs. :D

beech18.jpeg

Hmm. Too bad our airport mascot is undergoing some fix-ups right now. I better start planning for Gaston's X and think of ways to raise like a million dollars in fuel costs. :D

beech18.jpeg

Just find some rich guy at your airport who wants a really long multi engine lesson. :)

Drifting back to actually sharing rides to Gaston's, I'm planning on flying down on Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday. So far I've got one rider and could use one or two more.

Lance, good idea to bring this back up.

I have one definite riding along. I could use another 2-3.

Make Zucker go!

Ted's been trying but I guess he has less influance over a Lawyer then he does over me... But he did promise to get his MEI by then and give instruction. But he has yet to even get his multi or CFI yet... but I may have to change my toon later this afternoon... It's a beautiful day in central PA and Ted is no where to be found at work. :devil:

Anybody going through NW Missouri on Friday inbound to Gastons? My sister-in-law and her teenage son will drive down--unless they can hitch a ride!

Let's tell him that he'll never see Hayden again if he doesn't show up!:hairraise:

You all work on how to blackmale him, and once you get him to come he can rideshare with me. ;)

Back