Gaston's Report (Wed. Evening)

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
I took a trip over to Gaston's this evening to check out the condition of the runway and visit with Danny about this weekend. Everything looks great. I DO NOT want to give anyone any advice about coming or going, but I thought I share my own thought process with you. You are, after all, PIC.

The runway:

The runway is dry and is in very good shape. There was a B55 on the ramp and Danny said that three Mooneys came in last week and the pilots proclaimed the runway "excellent". I walked the entire runway west to east and back again. There are signs of moles off to the sides of the runway, but not enough of a problem to impact and airplane (IMHO) and pretty far off to the sides. I have almost two hours in Mooneys so I don't have an opinion about that, but I suspect the Mooney pilots will find the runway acceptable. YMMV.

The runway is about 50' wide at the east (approach) end and they have these stupid white hitching posts along the sides - who knows why? The first set of posts starts at the east end of the runway. There is another post 300' down the runway. Then the runway opens up and the next hitching post is approximately 500' down the runway. As for me, approaching pretty blind, I'm aiming to touch down about 500' to 800' beyond the approach end, where the runway is approximately 80' wide. If I were flying a C172 or anything else I could see out of this wouldn't be a factor. Further down (toward the west) the runway is over 100' wide. My touchdown today was about 200' past the approach end and it (the runway width) was a bit tight for a blind roll-out. If I were flying a Cessna 195 I'd probably give up the first 500' of runway, but I've never flown one so I'm only speculating.

I didn't see any bad spots within 50' of the centerline of the runway. The secret for me is to not come in too hot and to not let the trees at the east end of the runway mess with my head. The runway is 3,200' long with an overrun area on the west side. If I'm not too hot I don't have to worry about the length.

The Approach:

As I came in there was a NORDO airplane in the pattern. Head on a swivel!!! The unicom is 122.8 and on downwind and base it's not possible to see departing traffic. I plan to make my approaches to landing by crossing the runway north to south so folks on the ground know I'm there and so I can see any departing traffic. I plan to use the radio to announce my position on downwind, base, and final. I would plan to have all of my landing and taxi lights turned on if I had any. I plan to be prepared to go around at any time and to have enough fuel to abort a landing or two. But that's just me. You do what you think is best :)

There is a little airport called The Valley about 4 NM south and a just bit east of Gaston's. Just south of there is a big flat area. I intend to do any of my aerobatic flying in that area, so please keep me in mind if you're approaching from the south. I'll monitor 122.8 out there. There will probably be a Citabria around somewhere too, but I don't have that on good information.

The Departure:

It's going to be hot, hot, hot. I plan to keep my weight in mind as I prepare to depart. Although the hill to the east of the airport looks daunting on takeoff, it's about 1/2 mile from the departure end of the airport and a slight right turn will take me down the river while I climb. There are some power lines that cross the river about 3/4 mile off the departure end, but if I hit those I'm too stupid to be flying anyway. I also plan to be ready to shut it down if I see someone come around the bend on final while I'm rolling on my departure. I plan to be very, very aware of traffic in the area.

Parking:

I plan to get there early so I can park away from the runway. When there are a lot of airplanes there they park down the north side of the runway - where anyone in a Cessna 195 or Extra can hit them if they're not careful.

What I'm trying to say is that the runway is in excellent condition and if everyone will listen up, look out, and be ready for a go-around we'll have a really great weekend. Danny is excited about having all of us there (duh $$$). It is NOT a difficult place to land if you don't think about everyone watching you and grading your landing. :D

I've posted photos of my trip at this address (too many to post here):
http://www.eaa732.org/eaa_display_gallery.asp?token=48&f=t&n=Upcoming%20Gaston's%20Fly-In
(sorry it's slow... it's a free site)

Looking forward to seeing everyone there this weekend !!!

Chip,

Thanks for the info and the layout
looking forward to being there Sat.:lightning:

why does the sign have the ATIS and UNICOM listed as the same frequency?

NickDBrennan said:
why does the sign have the ATIS and UNICOM listed as the same frequency?
Actually, it says ATIS and Approach Control..... I think they're kidding :D

Chip, hon, what's the URL to your website that folks have signed up on again? I would like to see if anyone's going to arrive Friday and depart Saturday.

Thanks
Moxie "Gastons, Botox, Gastons, Botox, Gastons, Botox?" kidding... it's actually "Gastons, Sculptra, Gastons, Sculptra, Gastons, Sculptra?" :)~

I seriously don't know if I can come or not. It's a long flight for a solo, my kid Waylon is too busy moving his stuff into my house to come along plus he would prefer I be home, it'll be our last weekend together before he relocates to CA and we do actually like each other.... I'm just gathering info at this point... although Hammer, for the moment, is still available so we'll see. :blowingkisses:

Chip, summarize the dope on obstructions. Can the approach be made with a normal visual glidepath? I can't believe I'm even thinking of taking a Seneca in there....It would be 750 to 950 undergross and can do it by the book with decent margins...even when hot. But the obstruction scene concerns me....

Late Edit: Never mind. I've regained my sanity. I've got boot and heated props on a gravel/grass runway. Mountain Home for me.
Sigh.

Last edited:
bbchien said:
Late Edit: Never mind. I've regained my sanity. I've got boot and heated props on a gravel/grass runway. Mountain Home for me.
Sigh.
Bruce, I've never flown a Seneca but I'd say your choice of Mountain Home sounds like a good one to me. If you get to Gaston's and decide you want to bring the Seneca over, I'll take you to pick it up. The obstructions on the approach are not much of a factor for a C182, but best you take a look for yourself.

bbchien said:
Chip, summarize the dope on obstructions. Can the approach be made with a normal visual glidepath? I can't believe I'm even thinking of taking a Seneca in there....It would be 750 to 950 undergross and can do it by the book with decent margins...even when hot. But the obstruction scene concerns me....

Sigh.

Bruce, I'll see you at BPK....

Remember that you can call the FBO/Unicom at BPK 10 minutes or so out and they'll call Gaston's for the van.

bill

gibbons said:
Bruce, I've never flown a Seneca but I'd say your choice of Mountain Home sounds like a good one to me. If you get to Gaston's and decide you want to bring the Seneca over, I'll take you to pick it up. The obstructions on the approach are not much of a factor for a C182, but best you take a look for yourself.

I'm thinking the BPK probably is the best bet for me as well. I don't see a problem landing at 3M0, but taking off on a hot day with a potential tailwind aloft doesn't seem such a good idea. Also I'd need to stop somewhere for fuel if I park at Gaston's but I can make it non-stop from here as long as I can fuel at my destination there.

And that's all assuming I'm still coming. As much as I'll reget missing the affair, I cant' quite see making the 1000+ NM trip solo and my partner for the flight has cancelled. I've got a call into Scott Shekels to see if he wants to go together, but last I talked with him he was thinking of going Saturday in his plane.

lancefisher said:
And that's all assuming I'm still coming. As much as I'll reget missing the affair, I cant' quite see making the 1000+ NM trip solo and my partner for the flight has cancelled. I've got a call into Scott Shekels to see if he wants to go together, but last I talked with him he was thinking of going Saturday in his plane.
Hey Lance, I hope Scott decides to come down with you. But if not come on down anyway!

Come, Lance! It's the fly-in of the decade!

If anyone else is thinking of not coming; be advised the rest of us will talk about those who don't come! :rofl:

Worst case Lance, if you and I don't go, I'd be happy to meet you for lunch on Saturday. No one's grabbed Hammer yet.

Moxie

Thanks for the update Chip,
I will see all of you guys down there on Sunday. We are leaving KPTS at about 9 a.m. so we should see you around 10.
Looking forward to it,

Back