Gastons Poker Run?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I'm participating in a Poker Run here in the Dallas area (weather permitting) on January 26th, and it got me thinking how INCREDIBLY FUN this would be with all my POA buddies at Gastons. What do you think?

All of the following are simply IDEAS and PROPOSALS... feel free to tear it up and make it better!!

Possible route (short, just 100nm round trip) is posted below. Leave anytime Saturday, open the cards around dinner Saturday night, so people can do it when it works for them. If weather is bad on Saturday, we can scrub it.

Fly to and pick up ONE playing card from each of the following airports:
Boone County (KHRO)
M. Graham Clark-Taney County (KPLK)
Marion County (Flippin) (KFLP)
Ozark Regional/Mountain Home (KBPK)
Gastons (3M0)

At each airport, pick up a playing card randomly from a sealed set of cards. Bring them all back to Gastons. Saturday night, around dinner, all the "players" buy in for $20 and get their 5th sealed card (random draw). Open your cards, look at your hand, have the option to buy ONE more card for $5, random draw, if you want it. Compose your best possible hand (throw out one card if you need to).

We show our hands, top three winners split the pot thusly:

1st place: 50% of the pot
2nd place: 30% of the pot
3rd place: 20% of the pot

Would be fun to have a custom designed Gastons Poker Run t-shirt for all participants... maybe a $25 buy-in, with $5 towards the shirt, $20 towards the pot.

Possible route:
GastonsPokerRun.jpg

Anybody "game"?

Last edited:
If I can actually make it down for the weekend this year, count me in.

Doing it Saturday morning could keep it from interfering with other Gastons activities... would be fun to plan a 15-minute stop at each airport, and swap out passengers so we can get our "ride sharing" in, too!

I think that's a great idea, but someone needs to take responsibility for getting it organized and done. I'm in if it gets organized, but be warned... I've done dozens of poker runs and I've never gotten better than a pair of 3's. Watch out!!!

I get worn-out enough at Gaston's without extraneous activities. For me, the best part is getting time to visit, in a leisurely way, with the other participants.

Maybe I'll warm-up to it by then...

I get worn-out enough at Gaston's without extraneous activities. For me, the best part is getting time to visit, in a leisurely way, with the other participants.

Come on Spike, you just don't want to buy the gas! Cheap attorney!!!
:D

Doing it Saturday morning could keep it from interfering with other Gastons activities... would be fun to plan a 15-minute stop at each airport, and swap out passengers so we can get our "ride sharing" in, too!

I think it should be required that you get each card using a different airplane. :yes:

I'm participating in a Poker Run here in the Dallas area (weather permitting) on January 26th, and it got me thinking how INCREDIBLY FUN this would be with all my POA buddies at Gastons. What do you think?
Sounds like fun Troy! Go for it. :yes: You are the official Gaston's Poker Run Coordinator. :)

I'm in!!

I may need to be a passenger if Bill wants to give Mooney rides and not do the Poker run.

How about a 52 card pick-up dropped over the runway?

:)

Poker run sounds fun, but remember, you gotta have a person at each airport handing out cards....can be a royal PITA to get people to volunteer to help out.

If I go, I'm game.

That's a really neat idea.

For those who are looking for more stuff to do / more ways to fly, this would be a fun option. For those who are interested in relaxing and hanging around the airport, they don't have to participate and there should still be plenty of people hanging around to talk to. Or hey, use the pool. Win-win, the way I see it.

I've never participated in a poker run so I am not the expert here, but as for handing out of cards, I don't think you necessarily need someone to stay at each airport as a volunteer the whole time. There was a poker run in this area. At my airport, since no one is staffing an FBO, the group simply put cards in envelopes and put them in a container sitting on the counter inside our pilot lounge, and put big markings on the container so pilots couldn't miss it.

Since I'll have the fastest plane, I'll drop off all the cards. Oh gee, how did Ed get a royal flush? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... :D :rofl:

Fastest Plane? What, you're going for the -400 after all?

I'll run her at 17gph just for a liiitle bit. :D

Poker run sounds fun, but remember, you gotta have a person at each airport handing out cards....can be a royal PITA to get people to volunteer to help out.

I have played where you pick a sealed envelope containing a card at each stop. You can't open the envelopes until everyone is back at the finish airport (keeps everyone honest). Of course someone has to drop the envelopes off ahead of time but it doesn't require someone to be at each airport.

That's a really neat idea.

For those who are looking for more stuff to do / more ways to fly, this would be a fun option. For those who are interested in relaxing and hanging around the airport, they don't have to participate and there should still be plenty of people hanging around to talk to. Or hey, use the pool. Win-win, the way I see it.

I've never participated in a poker run so I am not the expert here, but as for handing out of cards, I don't think you necessarily need someone to stay at each airport as a volunteer the whole time. There was a poker run in this area. At my airport, since no one is staffing an FBO, the group simply put cards in envelopes and put them in a container sitting on the counter inside our pilot lounge, and put big markings on the container so pilots couldn't miss it.

Kate, that's kind of what I was thinking... prepare the cards ahead of time (one card per envelope, sealed), and send them to the FBO staffer. If none, get one POA attendee per airport to volunteer to stop at the airport on Friday and "drop off" the packet of cards... each pilot randomly takes ONE card at each stop, doesn't open them until "game time" Saturday night, when they pony up to the table, buy in, and get their last card... randomly.

Even the NON-flying participants should have fun watching the outcome around dinner!

Last edited:
I'm in, either flying or riding!

(let me know if you need help, Troy. I've never done one of these but I'm really good at planning this kind of stuff out)

Good suggestions, folks! I'm going to get this organized, cards to the destinations, coordinate with FBO's at the fields, etc. The cards will be at the sites before June 6th, so you can either pick up your cards on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday (keeping people's options open)... you just have to have your cards in hand by Saturday night.

Oh, and PASSENGERS can get cards and play the game, too...

More details to come.

This might be too much trouble, but what about having other little subcontests. They wouldn't have to be for cash and prizes, but just for bragging rights.

We could have stuff like best time (closest to planned ETA), best groundspeed maybe, can't think of any more off the top of my head but I'm sure others can chime with something.

This might be too much trouble, but what about having other little subcontests. They wouldn't have to be for cash and prizes, but just for bragging rights.

We could have stuff like best time (closest to planned ETA), best groundspeed maybe, can't think of any more off the top of my head but I'm sure others can chime with something.

Ross,

Good ideas, but if we do that it means everybody has to fly the same route, same day, etc. I was hoping to keep it "open" on the timing, so people could fly when it worked for them and their other activities... I suspect some might even stop and pick up their cards inbound to Gastons.

You guys want only straight cards in the envelopes, or would you like the two jokers included so you have a chance at getting a wildcard you can play anyway you like?

This game is a go. Rules are drafted, FBO participation is confirmed, working with Jesse on event-registration and Chip on event details/rules review; will post more details as soon as I can.

I'm asking for volunteers (3 total) who are familiar with poker hand scoring that can serve as our judges on hand-scoring and who will be present at the Gaston's restaurant Saturday night, 9pm...

Show of hands? (pun intended) Please PM me.

Back