Gaston's Fly-In Update

Steve said:
...With cooler weather this year ...

The current forecast for this weekend is low 90's every day with night time lows right around 70. If this year's forecast is "cooler weather" then I'm glad I didn't look at the thermometer last year. BTW, how hot was it last year?

Ed Guthrie said:
If this year's forecast is "cooler weather" then I'm glad I didn't look at the thermometer last year. BTW, how hot was it last year?
I think it was high 90's and maybe 100. It was a tad humid, too. :yes: But, it won't be as hot and humid this year. :)

Diana said:
I think it was high 90's and maybe 100. It was a tad humid, too. :yes: But, it won't be as hot and humid this year. :)
Depending on Ken Ibold's radios, I may be bringing a 10x20 foot structure with me. It's heavy.

Found out today, the A-36 is supposed to be ready; so, we should be out in that. Of course, we can land at Gaston's in that (some of you may have seen our movie; we shot that in the A-36).

GAMI is supposed to get the plane tomorrow to test fly it and see what difference Glen Bigg's rigging fixes made. Then, they're supposed to fly it out and I'm going to fly 'em back.

So, if all goes well, the four of us should arrive in the A-36 around 10:30 or 11:00 Saturday morning. We'll stay as long as we can or until Diane breaks me in that poker game <g>

Looking forward to seeing all!

Best,

Dave

Diana said:
Chip will probably go a bit south of Gaston's, so this is only my little spot so far. I'm just mentioning this ahead of time so others can kinda watch out while flying into Gaston's, or out flying around. Here it is:
After a bit more review I think I'll stay mostly northwest of Gaston's. I'll try to fly around 6AR9 (Pine Mountain Airpark) which is about 7.5 NM northwest of gastons. So if you're flying through this area Friday afternoon or Saturday you might want to give a shout out on 122.8. "Chip, are you up?" should be sufficient.

Chip

Last edited:
gibbons said:
After a bit more review I think I'll stay mostly northwest of Gaston's. I'll try to fly around 6AR9 (Pine Mountain Airpark) which is about 7.5 NM northwest of gastons. So if you're flying through this area Friday afternoon or Saturday you might want to give a shout out on 122.8. "Chip, are you up?" should be sufficient.

Chip

I'll probably be coming right through that area, so thanks for the heads up Chip.

bbchien said:
Depending on Ken Ibold's radios, I may be bringing a 10x20 foot structure with me. It's heavy.
Bruce,

My new wiring harness is being built as we speak and the weather is looking OK, so I'm optimistic about bringing the Pitts. Cathy has to stay home because we just realized Steven has a swim meet on Saturday -- his first.

If the weather/my airplane craps out, you'll have me, but that's all.

What is the haze gonna be like this year? Anything like last year, you think?

Diana said:
Map of the area...I have been looking at the map for a spot to do acro (out of the way but not too far away), and have tentatively picked a spot, at least till I get down there and can fly over it to check it out. Chip will probably go a bit south of Gaston's, so this is only my little spot so far. I'm just mentioning this ahead of time so others can kinda watch out while flying into Gaston's, or out flying around. Here it is:

Diana,

I think you should do your acro just across the river from Gastons, say 3,000 ft, so the rest of relaxing on lawn chairs can observe the show!

... Bill

flybill7 said:
I think you should do your acro just across the river from Gastons, say 3,000 ft, so the rest of relaxing on lawn chairs can observe the show!
... Bill
I was thinking maybe I would sit in the lawn chair relaxing and watch Chip put on a show in his Extra. :) That is, after everyone else has given me a ride and I've given everyone else a ride. Speaking of which, can I have a ride in your Citabria? :) I've never been in a 7GCBC before.

Nick, I am optimistic (naive?) that the haze will be a lot less of an issue, at Gaston's anyway; down here, it is going to be hot-hot-hot, and that may still spell haze for us.

Diana said:
I was thinking maybe I would sit in the lawn chair relaxing and watch Chip put on a show in his Extra. :) That is, after everyone else has given me a ride and I've given everyone else a ride. Speaking of which, can I have a ride in your Citabria? :) I've never been in a 7GCBC before.

Absolutely!

OK. Deep breaths.

Just got off phone w/ owner of the plane I am flying up. Into prop shop today. Promised back out by Friday morning.

Oy!

SCCutler said:
OK. Deep breaths.

Just got off phone w/ owner of the plane I am flying up. Into prop shop today. Promised back out by Friday morning.

Oy!

Spike you forgot the vey! You better have the owner pester that prop shop. The only reason I'm dragging my ass 855nm from Philly at 100Kts IAS in a Warrior is to meet you and fly in your dang Bo! .... Well in addition to getting an acro ride from Diana or someone and getting a ride in Greg's 195 oh and drinking EdFreds verner's , oh yea and hanging out with everyone aw heck when the hell else would a Philly boy have an opportunity to go to Arkansas. Ya know I don't think anyone in my clan has ever actually been to Arkansas. Heck I'm a pioneer. I am now officially posted http://www.gastonsflyin.com/2006_attendance.asp

I can't wait to see and meet everyone!:yes:

SCCutler said:
OK. Deep breaths.

My shop tells me there is a decent chance my airplane will be finished in time.

Make sure someone makes a post maintenance test hop before you launch!!!

OK, Adam, here ya' go.

Oy Vey! Vey ist mir.

AdamZ said:
100Kts IAS in a Warrior is to meet you and fly in your dang Bo! ....

Seesh Adam:
Is that a Warrior your standin in front of in that Avitar? If so, it's sure different than any I ever flew. I was gonna ask you for a ride :goofy:

Best,

Dave

Oh I wish Dave boy do I wish. I forget the model I want to say a T23 or T28 It was at the Wings vintage aircraft show and the boys are my nephews.

Chuck please lock this thread.

:rolleyes:

AdamZ said:
Oh I wish Dave boy do I wish. I forget the model I want to say a T23 or T28 It was at the Wings vintage aircraft show and the boys are my nephews.

Oh! Having never met you, I was going to offer my seat cushion. Looked like you could use a little help looking out the winder :p

When I started out as a developer, I was almost 6 feet tall (is my nose growing?), you'll see what this business can do to ya when we meet!!

Oh yea, black hair and sharp reflexes too (when I started).

Best,

Dave

Looks like a T-6 to me, from what I can see of it.

AdamZ said:

I have the name tags. I was thinking of bringing a printer. I hope the Wal-Mart has ink cartridges, if needed.

I might try to capture avatars if we can get connectivity.

mikea said:
I have the name tags. I was thinking of bringing a printer. I hope the Wal-Mart has ink cartridges, if needed.

I might try to capture avatars if we can get connectivity.
Mike, that would be great! We bought some of the blank ones, but your idea is much better. This group has grown so much, we really need to be able to see who is who.

Thanks! :)

Diana said:
Mike, that would be great! We bought some of the blank ones, but your idea is much better. This group has grown so much, we really need to be able to see who is who.

Thanks! :)
Hey Diana, when I get out there, let's talk about a Gaston's hat. I have them made to promote my business at times and think it would be neat to have a hat or shirt. The shirt would be more expensive. Wouldn't it be neat to have hats available for Gaston's 2006 fly in? Maybe red. Oh well, let's chat about it.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave Siciliano said:
Hey Diana, when I get out there, let's talk about a Gaston's hat. I have them made to promote my business at times and think it would be neat to have a hat or shirt. The shirt would be more expensive. Wouldn't it be neat to have hats available for Gaston's 2006 fly in? Maybe red. Oh well, let's chat about it.

Dave
Sounds like a good idea! Let's chat about it while you're taking me flying. :)

I'll have my N2212R Wicked Good Aviation hat on most, if not all of the time. If you can't figure out who I am from that, visit your AME. :)

Is there power to be had outside?

I'll pack an extension cord and power strip.

Back