Gaston's Fly-In Update

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
This is a duplicate post on all the other forums I'm trying to coordinate. :)

Well, it looks like our weather will be cooler this year. :) So far, just a few scattered storms are possible on Saturday.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USAR0319?from=search_10day

My husband Tom, and Carol Hays and I would like to offer our house at Gaston’s as a central location (Party Central) for people to gather during the weekend. It’s the last building on the west end of the resort, next to the woods. There is also a gazebo next to the house that overlooks the river. Gaston’s will bring an extra large ice-filled cooler and extra chairs to our place. You all are welcome to come in anytime. Coffee will be available every morning. If we aren’t home, then you will find us out on the airstrip visiting with fellow pilots, or hopefully up in the sky above the lake or countryside.

We still have a bedroom available on Friday night. It’s possible we will have a bedroom available on Saturday night as well, or then again it’s possible that we will be full Saturday night with people sleeping on the couches, cots and the floor.

Tom has graciously offered to fly with anyone interested in working on his/her Wings hours during the weekend, and a few other CFI’s have also volunteered.

My friend Barb will also be joining us and is flying down with Tom in her pretty, straight-tailed Cessna 172. That makes at least ten lady pilots planning to come, which is nice. Hey, girls maybe we could do a female fly-by! :)

Some have asked about the internet connection this year and here is Danny Gaston’s comment:

“The Internet is totally operable in all cottages. It is an Ethernet connection, not wireless.”

For those of you who will be joining us who have not signed up on the attendance list, would you mind shooting me an email so that I can keep track of numbers for dinner/brunch reservations? Thanks!

And for a trip down memory lane, here is my flight path going down to the Gaston’s Fly-in 2004. It took nine hours to make the 100 mile-flight from the farm to Gaston’s.

Attachments

• Chased by storms.JPG
    Chased by storms.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 49
Diana said:
And for a trip down memory lane, here is my flight path going down to the Gaston’s Fly-in 2004. It took nine hours to make the 100 mile-flight from the farm to Gaston’s.
I don't recall the story. Why?

Ken Ibold said:
I don't recall the story. Why?
The storms took everyone by surprise. They picked up steam and got really intense and moved much faster and more erratically than the NWS or the FSS folks thought they would. We were all amazed. That was the first time I have ever been chased by storms, and I didn't like it! I kept trying to land at different airports to wait till it passed, but it kept picking up speed. Did I say that it caught us all by surprise? I think that was the first time I have ever had FSS ask me on the radio "What are your intentions?" after they gave me more bad news. Even with the reports of hail, the priority went from landing somewhere with a hangar, to just landing anywhere.

Any one play poker? I'll bring a few decks of cards and a set of chips. Have the first annual PoA Texas Hold Em tourney?

Diana said:
That makes at least ten lady pilots planning to come, which is nice. Hey, girls maybe we could do a female fly-by! :)

This is excellent! Looking forward to meeting and spending time with you all. :princess:

Diana said:
The storms took everyone by surprise. They picked up steam and got really intense and moved much faster and more erratically than the NWS or the FSS folks thought they would. We were all amazed. That was the first time I have ever been chased by storms, and I didn't like it! I kept trying to land at different airports to wait till it passed, but it kept picking up speed. Did I say that it caught us all by surprise? I think that was the first time I have ever had FSS ask me on the radio "What are your intentions?" after they gave me more bad news. Even with the reports of hail, the priority went from landing somewhere with a hangar, to just landing anywhere.

Wow, wow, wow!!! :hairraise:

N2212R said:
Any one play poker? I'll bring a few decks of cards and a set of chips. Have the first annual PoA Texas Hold Em tourney?

OK, I'll play - what kind of stakes? Who can teach me how to play Texas Hold Em first?

Does this have anything to do with the reference to "lady pilots" attending ?:rofl:

Diana said:

I'm debating whether to monitor Unicom on the ground or fly a high orbit AWACS...:p

Last edited:
N2212R said:
Yes! I LOVE poker!! But, it's so hard to keep a straight face when I'm about to take all your money. :D

Steve said:
Does this have anything to do with the reference to "lady pilots" attending ?:rofl:
LOL! You better watch it! I'm counting your wife as one of those lady pilots!

Steve said:
I'm debating whether to monitor Unicom on the ground or fly a high orbit AWACS...:p
:D

Stakes will be low. Do it as a little tournament. Most you can lose is the entry fee. $5 or $10 bucks. I'll be glad to show anyone how to play.

N2212R said:
Cool! I've been wanting to play somewhere where I wouldn't get cleaned out before I finished my first drink.

I'll probably get cleaned out by Ed before I finish my first drink.

I'm thinking the Poker should start early on one of the days, as it could very easily go for a long time if we do it tournament style. I'm in, of course though.

So...you think Danny'd complain if I brought a wireless router with me so that we could get wireless going? I'm thinking of possibly setting up a camera to broadcast the landings for people unable to make it.

Never trust anyone who says.."can you teach me how to play".

SkyHog said:
I'm thinking the Poker should start early on one of the days, as it could very easily go for a long time if we do it tournament style.
Well, we have the dinner reservations for about 7:30 (to give us more time to fly while it's light.) We won't get done till at least 8:30. If I have two glasses of wine, I will no longer be able to add or subtract. That leaves me out for a l-o-n-g tournament. :)

SkyHog said:
So...you think Danny'd complain if I brought a wireless router with me so that we could get wireless going? I'm thinking of possibly setting up a camera to broadcast the landings for people unable to make it.
I don't know why Danny would mind.

Just don't broadcast my landings! :eek:

Princess Pilot said:
OK, I'll play - what kind of stakes? Who can teach me how to play Texas Hold Em first?

I'm sure you can find someone in the game to "teach you" :D

N2212R said:

Hey Ed, consider me in. I'm involved with a weekly game locally and always looking for a pick up game.

i've done em before nick. 20+ people and it only lasted 2-3 hours.

SkyHog said:
I'm thinking the Poker should start early on one of the days, as it could very easily go for a long time if we do it tournament style. I'm in, of course though.

I've got a Netgear "wireless travel router" which I've never used.
http://netgear.com/products/details/WGR101.php

Per my usual I got it to fix a problem I no longer have. I'll bring it. It can be used as a bridge, too.

I also have a wireless b router I can bring.

N2212R said:

I suppose I'm the only freak on here who'd rather play sheepshead?

Does anyone else even know how to play sheepshead?

Has anyone else even HEARD of sheepshead? :rolleyes:

flyingcheesehead said:

Yes, but only because I used to live in Madison, "doon'tcha-knoooow"... ;)

--Kath

flyingcheesehead said:
I suppose I'm the only freak on here who'd rather play sheepshead?

Does anyone else even know how to play sheepshead?

I used to play it all the time. But that was 25 years ago when I was a UW-Madison dude. Don't really remember much about those days ...

And I can bring a Linksys Range extender, since we already seem to have enough routers.

I'd like to thank Diana for her astute scheduling.

From the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission website:

*Approved a proclamation by Gov. Mike Huckabee to start free fishing weekend at noon, June 9, and to end at midnight, June 11. Licenses will not be required for fishing in Arkansas during that period.

www.agfc.com

Steve said:

From the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission website:

*Approved a proclamation by Gov. Mike Huckabee to start free fishing weekend at noon, June 9, and to end at midnight, June 11. Licenses will not be required for fishing in Arkansas during that period.

www.agfc.com
You know Steve, I thought you were pulling our legs, because it seemed to good to be true, but yeah, there it is on page 5 of the 2006 Trout fishing guidebook at http://www.agfc.com/pdf/2006troutguide.pdf. My father-in-law will be really pleased!

Noon, Friday, June 6, until
midnight, Sunday, June 8
Residents and nonresidents may fish this weekend without fishing licenses or trout permits. Regulations for Arkansas waters apply: daily limits, slot limits and length limits must be observed. Kids’ Fishing Day at the Commission’s five fish hatcheries is Saturday, June 10, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Noon, Friday, June 9, until
midnight, Sunday, June 11
Free Fishing Weekend

Well, it doesnt' have much impact on me, but Mary and Kathleen are planning to bag the limit every day. :)

KOOL ,i am definately bringing my Fly equipment, and was informed Ed G bought his today.
Dave G

Steve said:
Whew, that's a relief. I was afraid of getting in trouble like last year.

Don't forget that Chip is in charge of weather again this year. :lightning:

I picked up 72 cans of Vernor's that I shall be bringing down. I will also have a football with me for that whole E-W or N-S game Diana keeps wanting to see. But be warned, in our game today I recorded 3 safeties on defense, one interception for a touchdown, and caught 4 more passes for over 100 yards and 2 TDs. Maybe I'll be referee.

N2212R said:
I picked up 72 cans of Vernor's that I shall be bringing down. I will also have a football with me for that whole E-W or N-S game Diana keeps wanting to see.
In that case, I'll be bringing some Ace Wraps. :yes:

Diana said:
Don't forget that Chip is in charge of weather again this year. :lightning:

From what I am seeing projected now, it looks like he's doing a pretty good job!

Ed Guthrie said:
North in summer; south in winter. ;)
Ed, you're right. (I bet you get tired of hearing THAT statement all the time.) :D

More random thoughts:

Chairs...those of you that have room in your airplanes may want to bring chairs. Gaston's has several plastic chairs, but not enough for all of us out by the runway. I liked Greg's chair with the umbrella, and was hoping to steal it before he left last time, but wasn't quick enough. ;)

Instruments...I wonder if Eamon is bringing his guitar? I play the spoons, so we have enough for a band right there. :D

Map of the area...I have been looking at the map for a spot to do acro (out of the way but not too far away), and have tentatively picked a spot, at least till I get down there and can fly over it to check it out. Chip will probably go a bit south of Gaston's, so this is only my little spot so far. I'm just mentioning this ahead of time so others can kinda watch out while flying into Gaston's, or out flying around. Here it is:

Attachments

• Possible acro area.jpg
    Possible acro area.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 30
Diana said:
More random thoughts:

Chairs...those of you that have room in your airplanes may want to bring chairs. Gaston's has several plastic chairs, but not enough for all of us out by the runway. I liked Greg's chair with the umbrella, and was hoping to steal it before he left last time, but wasn't quick enough. ;)

Space permitting we'll have 3 or 4 chairs.

I just bought two of these: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=198069

Is there preferred routing for ride-hoppers? Don't know the area well enough to make a recommendation. With cooler weather this year there will probably more givers and takers this time.

Diana said:
More random thoughts:

,,,Chip will probably go a bit south of Gaston's, so this is only my little spot so far. I'm just mentioning this ahead of time so others can kinda watch out while flying into Gaston's, or out flying around. Here it is:

Back