Gaston's Fly-in 2018!

Discussion in 'Annual Gaston's Fly-In' started by JCranford, Jan 17, 2018.

1. SixPapaCharlie

SixPapaCharlie May the force be with you

Display Name:

Display name:
    6PC
    If you are considering, don't book a room. you can have our couch or I am sure others are willing to lend you a couch.
    Would be really cool to have you at gaston's.

2. 172andyou

172andyou Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    172 Guy
    Ok, I agree that's a bit ridiculous.

Sure, totally agree. But I do have sympathy for them being totally exposed on the handful of weekends, like the topic of this thread, where much/most of the hotel will be aviators and a big weekend would turn into a goose egg if they had a more liberal cancellation policy.

Hell, it's true for the "normal" fishing clients also. Many people would just walk away from a rainy weekend on the river if they could get their money back.

3. SevenGOLFCharlie

SevenGOLFCharlie Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    SevenGOLFCharlie
    Just flew in over the weekend! Great place and looking forward to Oct!!

4. SixPapaCharlie

Display Name:

Display name:
    6PC
    Welcome to POA!

5. JCranford

JCranford Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    JCranford
    I had forgotten to make a reservation when I left last year, so I corrected that error yesterday. Cabin #4 is where its at! Or al least its where *I'll* be, maybe not *it*...

6. Katamarino

Katamarino Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Katamarino
    I'll be back in Iraq that weekend, damn.

7. SixPapaCharlie

Display Name:

Display name:
    6PC
    Put us down for 4.
    Kids seemed jazzed when I said "fishing, hiking, bird sanctuary, and party til we puke"

8. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Anything we can get our dipshits in DC to do to get out of there, so you can do something else, let us know. :)

Katamarino likes this.
  9. Katamarino

Display Name:

Display name:
    Katamarino
    It's appreciated! But, I'm working in natural gas, getting equipment in place so we can stop all the gas flaring. Once we're done there should be much less pollution, and a decent income stream for Iraq (selling the gas instead of burning it). My job is way easier than the guys in the military have it.

10. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Ahhh okay. Or as we used to say in the oil biz...

“Well, well, well... three holes in the ground!”

Katamarino likes this.
  11. MIFlyer

MIFlyer Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    MIFlyer
    bumping my request. i'm super serious about going Seattle to Gaston's for a fun couple of days. If I can get loggable time, I'll pay (ideally Multi instrument, but i'll take anything).

@GRG55 are you going?

12. Clark1961

Clark1961 Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    What’s the market for natural gas and NGLs in Iraq? Can the income stream even touch the payments on infrastructure cost? Qatar makes some money on gas, at least they say they do. I couldn’t make associated gas attractive in the Bakken, the cash flow would have been literally nickels and dimes compared to the oil revenue. Tough to imagine Iraq associated gas is much different with no natural market. Now if they burned gas for electric generation, that might work.

13. GRG55

GRG55 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    It's the export NGLs and naphtha that drive the commercial value in those associated gas streams. I was involved in an earlier assessment in the mid-2000s, after Gulf War 2, when I was living in the Gulf. The volumes were enormous, the liquid product value substantial as waterborne exports ( using VLGCs) for badly needed US$, even if all the methane and ethane were flared due to lack of market.

Unfortunately the security situation was hopeless at that time, even in Southern Iraq (which was far better than Baghdad, with Iraqis were killing Iraqis, and kidnappings rampant. A very dark time). At that time we had to fly INOC staff engineers to Amman, Jordan to be able to get any work done in safety. The stories I heard from them about going to work (don't get paid otherwise, so how do you feed your kids?) and not knowing if they would return home at the end of that day, I'll remember for a long while.

Sorry for the thread drift, but that experience drove home how thin the veneer of civilized behavior over violence really is for us humans. Some of my UK expat associates were personal friends of Margaret Hassan.

Nice to hear there's continued progress being made regarding the flare gas in those fields.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 11:08 PM
  14. Katamarino

Display Name:

Display name:
    Katamarino
    The production agreements between the government and the IOCs mandate the IOCs to make the associated gas available free of charge (the payment structure is oil only). That gas is then passed to a joint venture between Shell, Mitsubishi, and the government for processing, compression, liquids extraction and so on. Can't give any specifics about the financials of course but it does end up making good sense financially.

The best result in my eyes, though, is that we're shutting down most of the flares, it all used to be just burned. Now the air is way, way cleaner, and the gas can be used for power generation to help the chronic power shortages the south has. Southern Iraq has been a net importer of gas which is crazy given how much is available.