Gaston's Fly-In 2006

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Well, some have requested the dates for next year’s Fly-In, so here they are. So as to avoid the heat (which was worse than normal for Gaston’s in late June), we have moved it up to the second weekend in June. Tom and I have already booked our cottage for Friday and Saturday nights, June 9th and 10th. The Sunday brunch will be on June 11th.

There are already a few groups scheduled that weekend, a big family reunion and some kind of fishing derby, so I suggest that those of you who are sure you’re going book as soon as possible.

I’m looking forward to seeing you all again, and hopefully we will have even more next year. Anthony, this includes you. :)

Diana said:
Well, some have requested the dates for next year’s Fly-In, so here they are. So as to avoid the heat (which was worse than normal for Gaston’s in late June), we have moved it up to the second weekend in June. Tom and I have already booked our cottage for Friday and Saturday nights, June 9th and 10th. The Sunday brunch will be on June 11th.

There are already a few groups scheduled that weekend, a big family reunion and some kind of fishing derby, so I suggest that those of you who are sure you’re going book as soon as possible.

I’m looking forward to seeing you all again, and hopefully we will have even more next year. Anthony, this includes you. :)

Why June? I don't think the 1 weekend earlier will make much difference. 3rd week of May would be prime I think.

N2212R said:
Why June? I don't think the 1 weekend earlier will make much difference. 3rd week of May would be prime I think.

It is actually 2 weeks earlier in June. Here's some weather data for the second weekend in June:

2005: average 85 degrees during the day (this was the hottest and driest June on record for this part of the state)
2004: average 86 degrees
2003: average 75 degrees
2002: average 80 degrees
2001: average 79 degrees
2000: average 83 degrees
1999: average 88 degrees
1998: average 75 degrees

The third weekend in June is Father's Day, which is when some folks get together with family, so I've avoided that one the past two years.

June instead of May because some people have kids still in school and it would be harder for them to come in May.

Diana said:
June instead of May because some people have kids still in school and it would be harder for them to come in May.

Crazy people! :rofl:

N2212R said:
Crazy people! :rofl:

LOL. FWIW, Ed, there is no way you can pick a weekend and have everyone be happy. So you do the best you can with what you have to work with. :cheerswine:

I'll be making the reservation soon.

BTW, Diana, which cabins are in the prime spots?

Thanks, Diana, for getting the ball rolling early. Already looking forward.

And I finally posted my pictures from *this* year.

Greg Bockelman said:
BTW, Diana, which cabins are in the prime spots?
Well, Greg, it depends on what you want. If you want close, you get the older cabins/cottages. If you want to share a cottage, they get nicer (and the view of the river gets prettier) as you get farther away from everything. Anyone else have an opinion on that?

Diana said:
Well, Greg, it depends on what you want. If you want close, you get the older cabins/cottages. If you want to share a cottage, they get nicer (and the view of the river gets prettier) as you get farther away from everything. Anyone else have an opinion on that?

We were in #69. That was an awesome cottage (IMHO), with a great view of the river. It was a heck of a walk back and forth between the area where everyone hung out to watch planes and the room, but I thought it was worth it.

I have about 300 of these left over. Figure if I start etching now, I can turn all the fives into sixes by next June. What do you think?

Cabin 69 had a hidden compartment, an extra bathroom we didnt find untill the 2nd day. which was good cause we were all doing the funny walk waiting for Ron to wake up :)
(we thought he had the only room with a bathroom)

Michael

woodstock said:
oh no! I already know I'm going to miss this one too.

Yup, me too, my niece's HS graduation is that weekend.

EHitchcock

I am going to try and stay, i will talk to Grandpa about it, then get back to everyone!!
I will definitely be there, i just don't know what days yet!!

Toby said:
I have about 300 of these left over. Figure if I start etching now, I can turn all the fives into sixes by next June. What do you think?

Toby, you might want to start now. :yes:

I hope that means you're planning to come. Maybe you'll fly your own airplane into Gaston's this time? :)

Diana said:

I hope that means you're planning to come. Maybe you'll fly your own airplane into Gaston's this time? :)

Me thinks Toby may be flyin a Cherokee :rolleyes:

Dave

Don Jones said:
I will let you know how it is in September. A couple of us here at LRU are
going the 8th-11th.
Dang, if I wasn't going to be in California those dates I would have flown down to meet you.

Be sure to post some pictures for us. :)

Diana said:
Dang, if I wasn't going to be in California those dates I would have flown down to meet you.

Be sure to post some pictures for us. :)

Thats too bad, wish you could come down. Anyone else?
Yes I will post pics
Don

Diana said:

I don't knowwwwwww......it's an awfully long trip..........

I would really like to join you.
If you would allow me too.
It is only 200 miles for me from north of Kansas City.
I may take a trip down there and check it out and select my cabin Or cottage.

I will let you know when I'm going down, If there is anything I can do for you or the group while there, I would be glad to.

So what is the alternate plan if it rained 4 inches and the strip was to soft ??
We can get a lot of rain in early June.

Dogman

Toby said:

Nah, just little trips strung together.

dogman said:
I would really like to join you.
If you would allow me too.
Hey that would be great! Everybody's welcome to come. :)

dogman said:
It is only 200 miles for me from north of Kansas City.
I may take a trip down there and check it out and select my cabin Or cottage.
Sounds like a good reason to go flying. The cabins may book up fast this time. Looks like we have even more people interested from the Citabria forum. One of them may fly his Cessna 195 instead of his Citabria.

dogman said:
I will let you know when I'm going down, If there is anything I can do for you or the group while there, I would be glad to.
OK, sounds good.

dogman said:
So what is the alternate plan if it rained 4 inches and the strip was to soft ??
We can get a lot of rain in early June.
That happened in 2004 at our fly-in. The runway was pretty soggy. A lot of people used the nearby paved runway at BPK.

Hey Diana,

Since our birthdays are the same day (6 more days from today 08/19/05) we should have the fly in on August 25th 2006. Since I was born in 1976, that means 2006 is the BIG 30 for me, so why not have a party to remember? :cheerswine: If that doesn't work we should have another fly in our birthday weekend...say the outter banks, Kitty Hawk, or Kill Devil Hills? Yes our birthday next year is on FRIDAY!!!!!!

Brook

Toby said:

Toby,

DO IT!!! :yes: Of course it's a long trip, but it's also a wonderful learning experience. Just take a look at the "Gaston's Firsts" thread. I even looked at it as an opportunity to go even farther and doubled the length of the trip, continuing down to Houston, TX after Gaston's and stopped at Sikeston, MO to eat at Lambert's on the way back. Saw all kinds of new things, and with all the time in the air I got a LOT more comfortable with the toys in our 182 (G430/S-Tec). With the extra couple of $100 burger runs from EFD added in, I felt a lot more comfortable with all aspects of flying by the end of the trip. Plus I got lots of great pics, which I will actually post somewhere sooner or later.

I can't say enough about what an excellent learning experience (and fun time) the Gaston's adventure was. Everyone who wasn't there should be next year! :yes: For those coming from long distances, share a ride and share the fun!

Toby said:

You'll want to get your instrument rating ASAP....

And it's not THAT far, we're talking Arkansas, not California.

"Irregardless" of what's happening right now, Bruce is still planning to try to come to Gaston's, along with lots of people from the red board, blue board, Citabria forum, and I'm going to invite some of my new friends from the green board (studentpilot.com). Maybe there's even a yellow board out there somewhere.

I'll check in with y'all about Gaston's later on.

Diana, I'm planning on coming in the Citabria, then continuing northwest along the Oregon Trail to the west coast -- something I've been wanting to do for three years now. Is camping allowed at Gastons or will I need to reserve a cabin?

I was going to reserve a cottage like I had last year.

2 beds, kitchen, bath.

Anyone want to go in on it?

flybill7 said:
Diana, I'm planning on coming in the Citabria, then continuing northwest along the Oregon Trail to the west coast -- something I've been wanting to do for three years now. Is camping allowed at Gastons or will I need to reserve a cabin?
Bill, I'm glad you're going to be able to join us at Gaston's! It might be a good idea to go ahead and book a room/cabin. They were booking up fast a few months ago. If you have any problems, let me know and I will find a way.

Looking forward to meeting you next June.

Oh, beautiful pictures of your trip; thanks for sharing them. :)

Diana et al:

Is this an open invitation? I have been to Gaston's before but not in the company of aviation lovers and such apparently nice people. I enjoyed viewing your pics from last year.

Scott

redcloud said:
Diana et al:

Is this an open invitation?
Scott, please join us. It would great to meet you.

redcloud said:
I have been to Gaston's before but not in the company of aviation lovers and such apparently nice people. I enjoyed viewing your pics from last year.
It's hard to describe how wonderful it is to meet with these fine people. Flying with them is even more pleasurable (and often exciting). I hope you can come.

Diana I don't know if we will make it to Gaston's or not this year. We sure would like to. We had a blast last year. We love Gaston's. It is a long cross country from Oregon. We will see.:dunno:

Bob Bement said:
Diana I don't know if we will make it to Gaston's or not this year. We sure would like to. We had a blast last year. We love Gaston's. It is a long cross country from Oregon. We will see.:dunno:

I believe the rule is, "Every flawless polished aluminum 182 in Oregon must appear at Gaston's once per annum."

That is it.

Back