Gaston's firsts

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
It's always fun to have 'first experiences' at Gaston's (including coming and going) and it's fun to provide somebody else with their 'first' something or other.

This was the first time I flew with Kim. :) :happydance:

First time flying in a Birddog. :rollercoaster: :D

First time getting lost in the area. :redface:

First time experiencing wind shear on take-off.

First time I gave someone an '11' for their landing. :)

First time flying around storms utilizing the Garmin 496. Wow, I love that thing!

First time landing the Citabria in winds gusting over 30 KTS.

That's all I can think of right now. What about all y'all?

First time to ride in what I thought was the plane of my dreams. It is. I gotta get me one of them! (A Bonanza!) Thanks again, Felix!

First ride in a Bellanca Viking! (It was everything I thought it'd be - and more!) Thanks, Dr. Dave!

First time to land in Missouri. (Branson, PLK. Now I gotta change my map signature.)

First Formation Flight, there and back. ("Memphis Center, Cherokee flight of two...")

First time to see MY plane in the air, from the air!

First time to travel by GA with ALL six in my family!

First time to clear mountain ridges at less than 500agl to maintain VFR cloud clearances.

First time to cast my lucky lure for over half an hour and not get so much as a single hit.

First time in the IAR.

First time doing air-to-air photo shoot.

First time doing a poker run.

First time taking the 210 on a cross-country.

First time using the 496 for true weather avoidance.

First time to meet most of you folks. I only knew Diana and Tom....but what a delightful group of folks you were.

It was Phil's and my first big trip in the Birddog so far. (Both time - 36 knots for a bit JEEZ! - and distance.)

First time flying into Gaston's. What a runway! What an approach! I loved it!! But I could sympathize with you other folks.....I was amazed some of you had the grit to get those airplanes in and out of there. Very impressive.

First time meeting a well-adjusted, emotionally mature, and extremely kind Bellanca Viking owner. (Inside joke - I only know one other.) Very nice airplane. May we trade rides next year??

First time flying with Diana...and I enjoyed it even if we weren't able to do some aerobatics. Next time. (I also felt guilty taking that ride, as there were so many others there who deserved one more than I did.)

My first time flying with passengers under those conditions. Thanks for being so brave you people....:hairraise:

I fear I was so excited and overwhelmed by all the people, I wasn't able to actually visit with everyone. I would have liked that - and will make that my goal next year.

First time meeting a well-adjusted, emotionally mature, and extremely kind Bellanca Viking owner. (Inside joke - I only know one other.)

Kim:

Is the other one in, say, California? :dunno:

i enjoyed all the new airplane types. Bird Dog, Trinidad, Husky, V tail Bo.

I actually left the runway/cottage area this year!

first time hitchhiking.

First time meeting a well-adjusted, emotionally mature, and extremely kind Bellanca Viking owner.

Was there another Viking there??? I must have missed it!

May we trade rides next year??

My fault! (I was trying to give rides to those who did not have airplanes or rides with others,) but next year for sure Kim!

Actually I would like to figure some way to make the 'rides' thing a more organized and prominent part of Gastons. (If'n that is Ok with the organizers.) I'm not sure how to do it, but I would like to see some way to better communicate to all that I am giving rides and am available 'now' to those on the flightline (I was just stopping by and beckoning or announcing on unicom). Also I would like to enlist those so inclined to offer their craft for rides to become known as such including when and where. Maybe a sign-up sheet. I got a real thrill out of seeing others wheel the wooden wonder around the clouds!

Ps if you think this is illegal in some way, don't even start I am not interested. :)

First time flying to Gaston's via Iowa. :D

First time driving a fishing boat.....sorry Ed, for the circles... :redface: :p

First time seeing the dam from the bottom up. :eek:

More 1st airplane rides. :yes:

First time having male roomies. :blowingkisses:

Actually I would like to figure some way to make the 'rides' thing a more organized and prominent part of Gastons. (If'n that is Ok with the organizers.)
Sounds great Dave! I think you just volunteered to be in charge of that next year. :D

I started a thread here about it in hopes of trying to be organized.

First time flying with Diana...and I enjoyed it even if we weren't able to do some aerobatics. Next time. (I also felt guilty taking that ride, as there were so many others there who deserved one more than I did.)
No need to feel guilty! I've been wanting to go flying with you for a long time. :yes: It was a nice relaxing flight. :) Well, except for the funny winds on take-off and landing. Then it was Yeeeeee hawwwww! :D

Actually I would like to figure some way to make the 'rides' thing a more organized and prominent part of Gastons. (If'n that is Ok with the organizers.) I'm not sure how to do it, but I would like to see some way to better communicate to all that I am giving rides and am available 'now' to those on the flightline (I was just stopping by and beckoning or announcing on unicom). Also I would like to enlist those so inclined to offer their craft for rides to become known as such including when and where. Maybe a sign-up sheet. I got a real thrill out of seeing others wheel the wooden wonder around the clouds!

Disclaimer: Having not been to Gaston's, I'm not sure how feasible this is...

Have any of you ever been to a Fogo de Chao? It's a chain of Churrasco restaurants... basically, you pay a flat fee to get in and there are people walking around with all kinds of meat on skewers and they come to your table and slice you off a piece until you're so stuffed you have to roll yourself out of there. Yes, it truly is a glorious place - I'm pretty sure that "Fogo de Chao" is Portuguese for "Heaven". Anyway, to signal the meat people whether you're ready for more or taking a break, you have a little paper disc that you set next to you on the table. If you have the green side up, that means "Bring me more!" and the red side means "No Thanks".

I wonder if something like this would work for rides - if you're offering rides have a green flag in your windows, if you're taking a break, have a red flag... :dunno:

That might work, also maybe just taxi right next to the picnic area or some other nearby area with your green sign? We could make it known that this was the loading/unloading zone for rides. Some safety issues to work out there, and prop blast of the picnic area is a concern too... but I bet we could figure all that out. I fear that a 'sign-up sheet' or 'schedule' would just confound things.
Yes I have been to such a restaurant, the one I saw was a Brazillian place in FtW, man!

Re: Gaston's firsts:

Sunday am: Me, first airborne!

It was so sweet; my tracks the first in the dew on the grass, ....flying high cover at low power, as others lifted off. Mmmmmmmmm.

Was Cathy's first Fly In.

I think I created a monster, she wants to go to Osh Kosh now!!!
Thanks to everyone for being SO friendly.

My first time flying in a GA plane more than 1/2 way across the country.

My first time to NM.

My first time to AZ.

My first time missing my airline flight from the get go.

Let'sgoflying! said:
My fault! (I was trying to give rides to those who did not have airplanes or rides with others,) but next year for sure Kim!
:)

Nobody's fault. I get to fly anytime I want, so I always feel guilty taking someone else's turn....I want everyone to have a turn, especially the folks who didn't fly to Gaston's or who don't get to fly real often. I'm very patient. Next time will be soon enough.

I want to give a lot more rides next year, too....wind held me back on Saturday....maybe it will be a bit more calm next year. :)

First time:

1. Attending Gaston's fly-in
  2. In Arkansas and Missouri.
  3. Flying more than 2.9 hours in a GA aircraft.
  4. Flying via pilotage for more than an hour or two (ie, the whole trip).
  5. Meeting a bunch of you.
  6. Riding in a Bellanca Super Viking.
  7. Completing a poker run.
  8. Pulling just over 2 G's in a low-pass/fly-by
  9. Flying an IAR.
  10. Riding in a P-Baron
  11. Meeting a really strange/annoying fellow at a fuel stop in Pennsylvania (really would have preferred not to).
  12. Saying "the dam approach" on frequency.
  13. Responding to a radio call with "Gaston's Picnic Table."
  14. Running across a runway to put out a fire.
  15. Watching Tony's very hip glider video.
  16. Watching the scenes of a future documentary live.
  17. Driving a huge/long van and trying to turn it around without hitting something.
  18. Calling a controller/friend of mine from ZME (Memphis Center) en-route and getting the info on the sector I was in and the next frequency I was going to get.
  19. The airplane was topped off in under 5 minutes after arrival at one of our fuel stops (KJVY).

I'm sure I'll think of some others. It was a really awesome trip, learned a lot and gained great experience. Lot's of "firsts." :D

Lot's of firsts for me. One really stands out and I didn't even really realize it until now:

First time letting so many people I've never flown with before fly left seat in the Bo. I wasn't nervous at all - we really have a select group of pilots here :yes:

First time to ride in what I thought was the plane of my dreams. It is. I gotta get me one of them! (A Bonanza!) Thanks again, Felix!
Dr. Bill, it was an absolute pleasure flying with you. Excellent landing, too!

Let's get little lights to stick on roof that says "On Duty"

Part of the mystique of the fly-in is finageling a ride, to start advertising strikes me as soliciting...

That might work, also maybe just taxi right next to the picnic area or some other nearby area with your green sign? We could make it known that this was the loading/unloading zone for rides. Some safety issues to work out there, and prop blast of the picnic area is a concern too... but I bet we could figure all that out. I fear that a 'sign-up sheet' or 'schedule' would just confound things.
Yes I have been to such a restaurant, the one I saw was a Brazillian place in FtW, man!

Part of the mystique of the fly-in is finageling a ride, to start advertising strikes me as soliciting...

no lie. ive been trying to get to spike for a bonanza ride for three (3) years!

next year, i swear! and i have to get upside down with Diana too.

Let's see firsts for me.....

First Time at Gaston's, and hopefully many more to come

First Time flying in MO

First time flying in AR

First Time in an IAR/L19/V-Tail

First Time Saying Dam that much on the radio and NOT getting in trouble :D

First Time getting stranded due to MX issues :mad:

First Time driving to a Damn at 2:00am to have some of Grant's rocket fuel Margaritas :yes:

First time taking off from 3M0 with a tailwind! (And the first time taking off with a tailwind at all since I got my PP-ASEL.)

First time flying around storms utilizing the Garmin 496. Wow, I love that thing!

Me too!

First time doing a poker run.

Mine too.

First time using the 496 for true weather avoidance.

I'm sensing a theme here. Did we all get 496's since last year, or was the weather just crappier than normal this year?

I'd be happy to give more rides! Heck, I gave my first one before I even made it across the runway to greet folks this year. :D That, plus taking Jason^2 on the poker run, plus ferrying Rick and Dan over to BPK was the extent of it this year. Maybe I need a cooler plane. ;)

Was Cathy's first Fly In.

I think I created a monster, she wants to go to Osh Kosh now!!!
Thanks to everyone for being SO friendly.

Excellent! Our work here is done. :D

See you at OSH, Mark? :yes:

I'd be happy to give more rides! Heck, I gave my first one before I even made it across the runway to greet folks this year. :D That, plus taking Jason^2 on the poker run, plus ferrying Rick and Dan over to BPK was the extent of it this year. Maybe I need a cooler plane. ;)

I'd be happy to give any rides! I'd be happy to show up at all! :yes:

I somewhat like Scott's idea, but then I also would hate to see someone wanting a ride in a particular plane all day, only to end up having someone else take his or her spot because an opportunist jumped in. There are merits to both that and the scheduling idea.

Hopefully next year I'll have something cool to give rides in! :D

I wonder if something like this would work for rides - if you're offering rides have a green flag in your windows, if you're taking a break, have a red flag... :dunno:

I think next year I'm going to put "Ride Beggar" on my name tag :D

This was my first Gastons. It was my first time flying in the Gastons area, first time flying in a Citabria, first time meeting everyone, first time eating at a riverside restaurant. All these were great first for me.

This was my first Gastons. It was my first time flying in the Gastons area, first time flying in a Citabria, first time meeting everyone, first time eating at a riverside restaurant. All these were great first for me.

There are two events coming up in Kansas City. We are having the EAA Vintage Aircraft Fly-in at Gardner (K34) on June 28. We will have both of our airplane's there.

Our CAF Annual Air Expo and Open House will be held July 12 and 13 at IXD. Over 20 warbirds on the ramp....

Stop by for one or both. We can fly for a bit in the L-19.

Back