Gaston's Film Thread

H

hawknips

Hi all,

Again thank you so much for letting Robert and I come film this years Gaston's Fly in. I am still importing the some 9 hours of footage Robert and I captured. But I had to stop for a bit just to see this sequence. Man can Jesse get that Piper low.

http://homepage.mac.com/pilotwill/Trailers/iMovieTheater8.html

I will use this thread to try to keep you all updated on the post production. But I thought I would tease you a little with this.

thanks again

-Will

Been listening to your podcasts, Will. Good stuff!!!

Yep. That's cool. Can't wait to see the rest! Thanks for doing this - I know it'll be a lot of work...

cool video--you can see the wings shaking a little the entire time from the turbulent air. I'm disappointed--I wasn't quite aligned--the nose wheel was about a foot to the side of the camera. oh well....

Last edited:
Very nice. I remember when that footage was shot. Besides the roar of the airplane, I could hear "Don't hit the camera, DON'T hit the CAMERA, DON'T HIT THE CAMERA!!!!!"

Thanks! Yea, wasn't that Jesse out there mowing the runway <g> Glad he kept the turf short for the rest of us!

Best,

Dave

Was that at Gaston's?

I thought Felix was flying a Bonanza...

P6120021.jpg

LOL you found me out... ok yes my youtube page is a little strange. That video that Pete pointed at was a video I did to test iMovie and I was told to "be creative, but make sure you use every feature in the app." So I did. I was also told we were going to show them to the team and I think I was a little ****ed at the boss so I made that and he was forced to watch it. Oh sweet revenge...

As a note the "strawberry" video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ53gZ9hyEk )was made by a friend of mine and he took it off his youtube so I had to put it back and then make my "Spam" video as a retaliation video. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZrekJJLPSA ) And yes that is me.

Hey sometimes it gets stressful at work and we have to find some way to release it, and sadly we tent to inflict that on the rest of the world via "The YouTubes."

Enjoy.
-Will

Will, how did the aerobatic maneuvers come out? And BTW, I was wondering if you interviewed any old farts talking about the old days while at Gaston's? ;)

Will, how did the aerobatic maneuvers come out? And BTW, I was wondering if you interviewed any old farts talking about the old days while at Gaston's? ;)

Sadly there was too much vibration in the camera so I don't think we can use it. And I didn't see any old farts. We are all young at heart, but I got lots of them.

-Will

LOL you found me out... ok yes my youtube page is a little strange. That video that Pete pointed at was a video I did to test iMovie and I was told to "be creative, but make sure you use every feature in the app." So I did. I was also told we were going to show them to the team and I think I was a little ****ed at the boss so I made that and he was forced to watch it. Oh sweet revenge...

As a note the "strawberry" video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ53gZ9hyEk )was made by a friend of mine and he took it off his youtube so I had to put it back and then make my "Spam" video as a retaliation video. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZrekJJLPSA ) And yes that is me.

Hey sometimes it gets stressful at work and we have to find some way to release it, and sadly we tent to inflict that on the rest of the world via "The YouTubes."

Enjoy.
-Will

Yeah, but what's with the keywords you have attached to the strawberry video? ;-) Trying to pick up some views?

I saw your video for "A pilot's story"... how is that project coming along?

And I see your comment that the acro video was too shaky. How about the Bird Dog in-cockpit video?

Also Did Any Of Robert's video from the Archer turn out?

that is nice flying, even if the alignment is off a little.

Yeah, but what's with the keywords you have attached to the strawberry video? ;-) Trying to pick up some views?

I saw your video for "A pilot's story"... how is that project coming along?

And I see your comment that the acro video was too shaky. How about the Bird Dog in-cockpit video?

Love to see the look of horror on that beautiful girl's face as Phil traumatized her.....:hairraise: I hope she enjoyed her ride. I would have taken her up but I was afraid Phil would think I was "hogging" the airplane.....does she go to school up here somewhere? (Kansas City)

Love to see the look of horror on that beautiful girl's face as Phil traumatized her.....:hairraise: I hope she enjoyed her ride. I would have taken her up but I was afraid Phil would think I was "hogging" the airplane.....does she go to school up here somewhere? (Kansas City)

Hi Kim! If you're talking about Abby, she goes to High School in Keller, Texas (DFW area). I can get her to Kansas City for a second-chance ride with you!--her aunt and cousin live there, and came to Gastons with us this year.

Hi Kim! If you're talking about Abby, she goes to High School in Keller, Texas (DFW area). I can get her to Kansas City for a second-chance ride with you!--her aunt and cousin live there, and came to Gastons with us this year.

I thought there was a part of your family from Kansas City.....just never connected all the dots. Anytime you get near our neck of the woods, you let me know....I'll make our airplanes available for rides....

I just passed that info along to Abby, Kim, and her response was, shall we say, "animated". :)

Well I have started the editing process. So fare most of the footage looks good. Sadly all the footage from in the planes were not that great. Mostly because of vibration and turbulence. You can't win them all. The interviews look great and the rest of it all look good too.

Editing takes the longest part in film creation so hang in there guys it will be done sometime, I promise. :)

-Will

Well dangit. Oh well, at least Robert and I had a chance to go have some fun. :yes:

:yes:, Yes we did!!!! I'll do that again anytime!!! In fact, I made a screen saver for my work computer of nothing but Gaston's pics. :)

Robert

Sadly all the footage from in the planes were not that great. Mostly because of vibration and turbulence.
Chip used to get some great video shots filming aerobatics in his Extra. Seems like he had a link to that here somewhere. The videos I make aren't very shaky because of the steady hand of my fearless husband (who doesn't like doing aerobatics).

Chip used to get some great video shots filming aerobatics in his Extra. Seems like he had a link to that here somewhere. The videos I make aren't very shaky because of the steady hand of my fearless husband (who doesn't like doing aerobatics).

Bless that man's little cotton socks....:yes:

Be nice to have some smooth air next year, wouldn't it?

I enjoyed every second of my Birddog ride. I don't even remember the bumps :)

It's a close race between the Citabria and the Birddog, for my favorite ride this year. I really like the tandem seating, it just seems to be such a natural configuration.

Robert

Well it is coming along nicely. I have the intro and the first sequence down to a good rough cut. However some paying gigs got in the way so I had to attend to them first. But I try and work on it when I can. The footage is beautiful and I am using a bunch of music from Steve Tupper (The Airspeed Podcast) His music is going together very well with the images.

I will try to keep you guys updated more often.

-Will

Paying gigs, shmaying gigs... where are your priorities?

Back