Gaston's Debrief

mikea said:
They do have actual pizza delivery, or at least, they do in Flippin. My folks were going to order us one.

It's obvious that we need to form some committees to handle the various aspects and take the burden off of Diana.

Chip, one of my suggestions is we set up a (private, closed) Wiki to help us coordinate this stuff.

I say, let Diana handle all of it. What's a little pressure, as long as it ain't on me? :rolleyes:

I think that "wiki" thing's a great idea, subject to the caveat that I have no idea how difficult it is to do.

And I would be open to donations with money. I knew that there was a small chance that I would get hosed. I would have sent money for food or something anyway. Now I cant send thousands of dollars but small amounts would add up and help out if you had to go out and buy food there....

Dean said:
Or we could order Pizza out and someone fly over and pick it up.
Sounds like that would make it a commerical operation and appropriate ratings required? :D

mikea said:
Chip, one of my suggestions is we set up a (private, closed) Wiki to help us coordinate this stuff.
Works for me, but I know nothing about how to do that. I can either link to another site or just point the domain name to another host if that works best. Let me know what needs to be done.

Chip

gibbons said:
Works for me, but I know nothing about how to do that. I can either link to another site or just point the domain name to another host if that works best. Let me know what needs to be done.

Chip

It's a Web/MySQL app, of course. Not that I've done it but I think I could do it the hard way.

I can set it up with a couple of mouse clicks using the control panel on our host. I'll work on it.

I've been kinna waiting to add my 2c. Was at the first group fly-in and was at this one. I wasn’t able to spend the time I would have liked this visit; so, I couldn’t contribute a lot. Hope to change that in the future.

To me, part of the charm of this entire affair is the grass strip next to the river and cabins in it's current state. The trees at the front are little or no obstacle for someone in the type planes we fly with proper training. Don't know if anyone saw me depart, but I fly between them and haven't had any problems. I’ve also landed over them in a Bonanza with no problem. Also, if it is an issue, land at Mountain Home and take the shuttle over; there is a very reasonable alternative.

I loved meeting the folks here and the camaraderie associated with this small group of folks at a fly in; almost like a secret fraternity. I would hate to see this get so large existing facilities couldn't accommodate it or for it to get commercialized.

Yes, the restaurant is expensive; certainly alternatives would be beneficial, but one can very easily bring some things that could eliminate the need to eat all meals there. Some of the most, charming, meaningful and funny discussions I had were over meals in the air-conditioned comfort there! (Steve, you have a really neat family that is a hoot at lunch!!).

Yes, service is slow, but you're not supposed to be in a big hurry there; I could have stayed in Dallas if I wanted fast!! You'’re supposed to be taking it easy here (except Diana, Chip, Steve and a few others). :D

I'm very thankful for those that made this the wonderful event it was. I'm happy to support that effort next year, but I would hate to see the laid-back nature of this fly-in change. If I was going to make any suggestions it would be to not tout this so that it becomes a big fly-in; there are 'nough of those. Also, I'd petition Mother Nature for some 80 degree weather <g>

My feeling after this event is it was a special place to meet some great folks and to visit a few friends with little or no pre-set agenda. I really liked that and am thankful to those that made it that-a way!!

Best,

Dave

Maybe some of our web guru's could give chip a hand with the website (if he wants it, LOL) and make a "sign up" type sheet for BBQ, coolers, water etc.. and that would help take some of the burden off of Diana and Tom.
We need to get Steve a temporary tower for sure next year, he did such a great job.
The idea of a "ride" fund for Chip, Greg etc.. is just an EXCELLENT idea. When it gets a little later in the year, we could make a paypal account or something like that, that people can contribute to and just cash it out before Gastons to help with fuel.

Mark B

Thanks for putting things in perspective, Dave S.

I thought about waiting a few days to bring the subject up, but I felt it was important to get some immediate feedback before everyone's perceptions were colored by too much rationalizing...you know, that "the more you think about it the more important it must be" effect.

I started this thread to pass along concerns voiced to me during the weekend and see if they were minority views or general concerns. I do think personally that the food in the restaurant is a bit overpriced for the quality, but I know that going in. I do like the idea of having an opportunity for those who want to participate in providing a cookout or two to do so. Not everyone can offer rides all day.

We've been going to Gaston's since 1984 and back then the rooms didn't have telephones or tvs. That was part of the attraction for us. Apparently the clientele has changed and Danny has tried to accomodate them by providing more conveniences. But I still like to stand near the river in the evening and feel the chill in the air coming off the water.

Mary and Kathleen enjoyed their conversation with you in the restaurant. I'm a lucky guy to have them around.

And ask Chip if I have a problem with the trees personally, the view out of the IAR is apparently a lot different than out of the Extra...LOL

No suggestions here,
I would just like to say that I had a blast!
Steve, I thought you did an amazing job handling the planes in the pattern as well as on the ground. When we were about 30 miles out we heard you handling 4 or so planes in the pattern, next year everyone should call Gaston's Tower, haha.
I really enjoyed being able to watch Chip, Diana and Greg fly all day.
I saw Chip do probably 7 or 8 low passes and I never got sick of that sound.
I didn't get any rides, but that was due to my shyness and just not wanting to bother anyone.

It was great to meet everyone.

I feel that the people made the event and any change that is made won't bother me, as long as great people are there.

I had a blast and I will see everyone next year,

Steve said:
T
Mary and Kathleen enjoyed their conversation with you in the restaurant. I'm a lucky guy to have them around.

Part of the reason they may have enjoyed it was they were in complete control of the lunch chat! They even had Spike at a loss for words a couple times!! (Never seen that before!). Kathleen is smart beyond her years! Corrected Brandon (with me) several times and he's a very bright, well traveled, multilingual kid )!

Mary melted me when she turned on the charm; then, gave me THE LOOK! Didn't want to be anywhere around when she was givin out THE LOOK! No sirreee bob!!

What a neat family team you have! All three of y'all really contributed to this affair.

Best,

Dave

alaskaflyer said:
Move Arkansas closer to Alaska!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! My 5.5 hr drive tomorrow to Mountain View, AR (close to Gaston's) is long enough! The newborn is congested so no flying this weekend with her. suckola.

Dean said:
Or we could order Pizza out and someone fly over and pick it up.

There has GOT to be some sore of 'niche' type of restaurant that would meet a couple of planes at a local airport to deliver some food. My flight instructor used to fly up to Chicago from Moline to get a plane load of 'Sliders' as part of a local radio station promo. I bet if we found some sort of restaurant (Lamberts, etc. comes to mind) that is in the general area of SE Missouri/N Arkansas, they would be happy to take a load of their food to their local airport to drop off.

I wonder if anyone would be willing to FLY to pick the food up? hmmmm... That might be the hard part. ;)

-Chris

Diana said:
Sounds good! OK, who will volunteer to take care of all meal planning and restaurant reservations?
I was wondering if anyone decided to definitely do this yet? :)

Or, does it just seem like I'm talking to myself again? :D

Ken Ibold said:
Chip, Diana and I could deliver pineapple upside down cake.

If I can get the RV down there next year, I can chip in with some of that. ;)

-Chris

AdamZ said:
So along those lines If I'm there next year I volunteer to be the BBQ Guy.
I can be a co-BBQ and Margarita guy!

AdamZ said:
Diana should get her room comped.
AMEN! I actually suggested that to her, and she said she'd never even considered it!
AdamZ said:
As for the trees they are Gastons to cut.
I have to say that the trees didn't bother me.
AdamZ said:
If they are good business folk then they will listen to their customers. Diana brings them a heck of a lot of business in food, lodging, fuel, fishing etc. Think how much $$$ they wouldn't have if we weren't there.

Its great to do things as a group but you don't want to make it too regimented.

Finally ask yourself is it Gaston's or is it the Group that brings you out
It's the group!

On a side note, I understand from Clinton (who was really looking forward to a ride; I'm glad he was taken care of) that they're going to be putting homes up across the river soon, so the wonderful view from the restaurant will be a little spoiled. On the other hand, we won't have anyone mistaking it for the runway!

Well, maybe we should wait 'til after OSH to start hashing out the details. It might be good to keep tossing out some ideas a bit before we make any firm commitments. I think we already have some "takers" if we want to go that route.

One thing to think about, though, is the date. The 2nd weekend in June seemed a better choice weatherwise this year than previous years. And its long enough after schools are out to include the kids for most I assume. As Gaston's is first come first serve with the room reservations this might be something to agree upon first. We made our reservations in August and were able to get the same room again. Do you want to go ahead and set a date now? Does Danny need to let you know his best time? Inquiring minds want to know.

I'd be willing to coordinate the volunteers if they want to email me off board for "slots". The idea is to spread the load so no one person is dumped on and there are alternates and everyone gets to do as much or as little as they care to.

Just let me know.

Diana said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana
Sounds good! OK, who will volunteer to take care of all meal planning and restaurant reservations?

I was wondering if anyone decided to definitely do this yet? :)

Or, does it just seem like I'm talking to myself again? :D

Steve said:
One thing to think about, though, is the date. The 2nd weekend in June seemed a better choice weatherwise this year than previous years.
The weekend before Father's Day is a great choice.

Steve said:
I'd be willing to coordinate the volunteers if they want to email me off board for "slots". The idea is to spread the load so no one person is dumped on and there are alternates and everyone gets to do as much or as little as they care to.
It's all yours! I won't be doing meals/dinner reservations again, so that slot is open. :yes:

Ok, as soon as we can confirm with Gaston's room availability is good for us on that or some other date we can make an "official" announcement.

Diana said:
The weekend before Father's Day is a great choice.

It's all yours! I won't be doing meals/dinner reservations again, so that slot is open. :yes:

Would it make sense to reserve a block of rooms, or would that wind up being too much trouble financially? I'm thinking about its being a way to avoid having people lose out on the $40 when their plans change after making the reservations. Maybe we can work something out with Danny whereby they waive the cancellation fee as long as the group as a whole takes x cabins/rooms?

gprellwitz said:
Would it make sense to reserve a block of rooms, or would that wind up being too much trouble financially? I'm thinking about its being a way to avoid having people lose out on the $40 when their plans change after making the reservations. Maybe we can work something out with Danny whereby they waive the cancellation fee as long as the group as a whole takes x cabins/rooms?
I suggest we do something like that, but not something that might mean a financial burden for any entity. Once Ken publishes that article we're going to get some interest from new folks and we're going to need a way that "current members" can get first shot at next year.

I think Danny might let us reserve a block of rooms that will only be released with a "secret" password to individual reservations.

My current plan to say we're doing it next year in October. :rolleyes:

I vote to remain on the second week of June. I have family birthdays the first weekend of June and would likely not be able to make it fathers day without some very creative finessing of the parents.

I am not the dedicated volunteer to which I referred in my previous post. Maybe Adam Z would be. But we've discussed this place: which is in West Va, a bit of a haul for midwesterners but in the mountains.

Advantages: less pricey. Same ambience.
Disadvantages : only 17 cabins, 75 beds in the bunkhouse.
http://www.windwoodresort.com/Motel.htm I think it's a bit too small.

I'm happy at Gastons because Gaston's happens :) But Adam suggested I look at this one.

Bruce :)

Last edited:
I looked at Adams suggestion. I like it and would definitely like to try it. It will be COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLER!

Looks like a great venue. Easier for the northeast cadre to make. Nothing wrong with having a happening not at Gaston's.

But I'll still be going to 3M0...:)

bbchien said:
I am not the dedicated volunteer to which I referred in my previous post. Maybe Adam Z would be. But we've discussed this place: which is in West Va, a bit of a haul for midwesterners but in the mountains.

Back