Gaston's attendees remove clothes - pics!

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
That is a suggestion......not a report of what happened.

You see, soon after arriving to the house, I discovered a tick on the back of my neck. So I suggest everyone check themselves closely for ticks (get help). Those little boogers carry disease such as Lyme, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever etc. I think I might start a course of doxy to be sure.
I was on the grass only a little bit to sump my tanks and getting under another to look at something but it doesn't take long. Maybe I just need a new flea collar.

They are tiny 'bugs' which crawl onto you and get lodged in your skin. Photo attached for reference; they can be very tiny at the start, easily overlooked. Just another hazard of outdoor activities. The place was loaded with deer. I think GregK posted a good story about ticks here recently.

Attachments

• Lyme_Tick_1.JPG
    Lyme_Tick_1.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 62
You see, soon after arriving to the house, I discovered a tick on the back of my neck. So I suggest everyone check themselves closely for ticks (get help).
Tom found a few on him at Gaston's before they had a chance to dig in.

Maybe I just need a new flea collar.
I wonder if they make something similar to Frontline for people? Especially people like us who deal with ticks on a daily basis on the farm.

I wonder if they make something similar to Frontline for people? Especially people like us who deal with ticks on a daily basis on the farm.
Look out for a bull's eye rash at the spot where you found the tick. In some states, the DOH has programs to identify ticks. If you find the tick remove it or have someone remove it by grabbing the claws/mouth/head of the tick with a pair of tweezers and put it in a clean dry container. Call your DOH.

Don't panic. If you see a rash, see your doctor, get a prescription for doxycycline if you're not allergic to it (unlikely) and take it for as long as the doctor recommends.

Hope for the best. Watch out for the Lymologists = Lyme crooks :eek:
Trust me, I practice in the Lyme disease capital of the US.

Here's a report on tick-borne disease in Arkansas.

Sorry Diana, no frontline. Wear long-leg pants with the hams inside your socks or boots, long- sleeve shirt, hat with those vandanas or something hanging over the nape and insect repellent; the opposite of what we all did at Gaston's.

Attachments

• Tick-Borne_Disease_Arkansas.pdf
    67.9 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for the heads up, Dave. The only problem is that now every single itch just turned into a tick (in my head).

That is a suggestion......not a report of what happened.

You see, soon after arriving to the house, I discovered a tick on the back of my neck. So I suggest everyone check themselves closely for ticks (get help). Those little boogers carry disease such as Lyme, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever etc. I think I might start a course of doxy to be sure.
I was on the grass only a little bit to sump my tanks and getting under another to look at something but it doesn't take long. Maybe I just need a new flea collar.

They are tiny 'bugs' which crawl onto you and get lodged in your skin. Photo attached for reference; they can be very tiny at the start, easily overlooked. Just another hazard of outdoor activities. The place was loaded with deer. I think GregK posted a good story about ticks here recently.
Hard to tell without a magnifying lens but that tick looks a lot like an Ixodes specimen, the usual vector of Lyme.

If I make it down there next year (planning on it at least), I can bring some stuff to spray the flightline with. It's safe for use around pet pens, etc. once it dries, but it is a 'restricted use' insecticide, so it's potent. All it takes is some water and a X gallon pump hand sprayer.

Also, when I go camping, I always take a bottle of "Lawn Fogger" to spray around the are where I will be placing the tent. Haven't had any critter issues so far. Just something else for you to think about for next year, Diana. ;)

Thanks for the heads up, Dave. The only problem is that now every single itch just turned into a tick (in my head).
You're right about that Jason. Since I read the OP I've been itching all over and I've already asked a nurse to check me out for ticks.

Thanks for the details Gil. (That was a generic photo, not mine.) Yes, I too am twitchy and itchy all over since I found it!

Here's a pic of the main suspect. What you see on the upper right-hand corner is a dime coin for comparison. It's really a tiny tick, the Ixodes Scapularis.

Attachments

• Ioxedes_Scapularis.gif
    Ioxedes_Scapularis.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 33
Wow, Dave, thanks for the heads up. Now I'm grateful I didn't park under those trees...it was a tick haven. :eek:

Wow, Dave, thanks for the heads up. Now I'm grateful I didn't park under those trees...it was a tick haven. :eek:
Dave, maybe that's where you got it. You were really scrambling in that brush by Greg's plane for a while there!:yes:

Oh yuck now I have the creepy-crawlies... No ticks though. I hope.

I found a tick attached to my stomach last night and I was very careful not to be in the grass. Tristan found one on her ankle.

oh great. i walked around all weekend in shorts and sandals.

i guess when i get out of bed today ill have to check it out.

had one on my leg. looked like the male in gils picture.

WHAT ???

Gaston's has bugs?

They charge those prices and don't spray?

What's up with that?

Re: Gaston's attendees remove clothes - On Line Lyme Clinic

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Heads Up Guys!

Now that we got your attention, I am announcing the opening of the Gaston's Online Lyme Disease Center. :hairraise: Find your current insurance card and have it ready. Pull out your camera cell phone and your credit card! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Gil

Okay, off to the washroom at work to do a quick inspection.
Grant, when you get back from the bathroom, would you email me those pictures when you have time, pretty please? :)

Wait, that doesn't sound right. :redface: I meant to say those pictures that you took of Kim and me.

Grant, when you get back from the bathroom, would you email me those pictures when you have time, pretty please? :)

Wait, that doesn't sound right. :redface: I meant to say those pictures that you took of Kim and me.

Sure, we believe you...you were cursing all weekend and now you want Grant's dirty pictures. What has Gaston's done to you!?!? :rofl::rofl:

Hehehee! I just found a way to make the annual Gaston's trip tax deductible!!!

Woohoo!

Of note: Last year, we found some on the kids; ticks, that is, but this year, none!

Will do it tonight. We all know what you meant!:D:yes:

There's me again. When the vet asked if I wanted to give Pancho the Lyme disease treatment I said no, thinking that I don't get deer in the fenced-in back yard.

She'll be going back.

There's me again. When the vet asked if I wanted to give Pancho the Lyme disease treatment I said no, thinking that I don't get deer in the fenced-in back yard.

She'll be going back.

Pancho may have eaten a few. Since her tongue was just about touching the ground. :)

She'll be going back.
Hey Mike,

Sorry to burst your bubble :), but the white tail deer is only absolutely necessary for the reproduction phase. Before and after that, mature adult male and female ticks take rides in whatever they can find, mainly mice but other animals such as hares, racoons, horses, cows, dogs and cats can serve the purpose too.

Gil

I just found three on Tom tonight. They were so small that he thought it was just chiggers.

I was sitting in the grass quite a bit last weekend...haven't found any so far. :fcross:

We call the really small ones seed ticks here. I know they're gross and all, but I've walked around in the woods all day only to come back with 20-30 just inbetween my ankles and socks. A hot shower and some preventative maintenance (any spray with DEET I think works) will work wonders.

The Lyme disease factor, although important, is minor. Otherwise almost everyone where I live would have it. Some of these good ol' boys have literally have tens of thousands of ticks on them throughout their lives and don't have it yet.

Just trying to make people feel better. :)

Me too! And I've got plenty of itchies, mostly just above my ankles (really, just above my socks).

I can't see any ticks, but as tall as I am, my ankles are a long way away! :D

Ick.

No need for Frontline! DEET (Off, Cutters etc.) does a pretty good job repelling ticks IME, spray it on the skin at the openings of your clothes.

After living in the South for 28 years I've decided I'd rather deal with the Alaska state bird than ticks :yes:

This thread makes me feel so.....itchy.......

Fresh out of annual (tick inspection) and so far so good. :fcross:

Back