Gaston's Alternative?

wow - that does look cool. Very cool, actually.

Looks good to me, how about October?Something would have to been in place by Sept so I can schedule the time off.

That looks awesome, looks like a nice lake, wouldnt mind renting a boat there and skiing a little bit or something!!

I am more of a cool climate person, lets go in October. ooh I like water sports too. If not a full blown (non)POA gathering, lets at least send a scouting party to check the place out.

Last edited:
There is a Seaplane Pilots Assn Splash-in every year at Cedar Mills in Oct I believe. There is a good turn-out of non-seaplane airplanes at the event and great fun. The only down side is that there are a very limited number of rooms available, although camping is great and is the popular choice. McGeehee's is less than 20 miles as is Lake Murray. There is a nice resturant a the marina. We've gone for the Splash-in the last couple of years and the wx has been great and perfect for fall camping.

Check out Fly-ins, page 4 for some pictures at the slash-in a couple of years ago.

http://www.skywagons.org/photo_album.asp?menuID=13~13~18

Jack

Jack K said:
There is a Seaplane Pilots Assn Splash-in every year at Cedar Mills in Oct I believe.
Check out Fly-ins, page 4 for some pictures at the slash-in a couple of years ago.

http://www.skywagons.org/photo_album.asp?menuID=13~13~18

Jack
Gosh, great pictures. Looks like the group has a lot of fun! I see Beaumont, KS is also a stop. I love to fly out there for a meal. Someday we plan to "overnight" for a quiet retreat, or maybe for time with a group.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. :)

Cedar Mills and McGehee's are each on Lake Texoma just north of the Dallas area. They are pretty close together. One could easily hop over to the other. Cedar Mills is a strip I would take the A-36 into, McGehee's is not. There is a hump in the runway and it's a little shorter. Several folks from Addision fly up to each of these. Pickier folks in larger planes shy away from McGehee's.

Several paved strips in the area Bill. I'd have to look at what's closest. I won't be taking the P-Baron into either of these.

Best,

Dave

Bill Jennings said:
For those of us with weanie club insurance, is there a hard field nearby? Shuttle/rental car to get to Cedar Mills?

Hey Bill:

It looks like GYI, Grayson County would be very close. Long runway, ILS. F31 is further north on the lake and also pretty neat for a paved strip (Lake Texoma). If one was to drive, GYI would work better and has fuel. F31 would be pretty neat if you could get a ride from someone else in a plane.

Best,

Dave

My (so far) one and only grass landing has been at Cedar Mills. Seemed like a good strip, altho there were some ruts off the runway area.

As to other hard surface fields, GYI (Grayson County) is 10 miles, Sherman (SWI) 15, Gainesville (GLE) is 25. Both SWI and GLE have the best fuel prices in this area.

F31 is cute, but no facilities. And there is about a 50' drop from the north end to the south end. No taxiway. We landed to the south and it took nearly full power to taxi back up the hill. Thought I had left my gear up 8^).

Cedar Mills, TX. Let's see...a shorter grass strip than Gaston's and a couple hours more flying time. Gee, what did us east coasters do to deserve this? (but I'd probably do it anyway :D )

Cedar Mills is an outstanding operation; that's where the picture that got me in trouble with Toby was taken.

It may be "shorter" than Gaston's but it is a very easy strip. Nearly always take off east, and the runway ends where the lake begins, so obstacle clearance is not a problem. In my experience, the runway is exceptionally well maintained (certainly on a par with Gaston's), and the restaurant is excellent. Strip is usable both ways, but like I said, usually operate on 9 landing and taking off.

I am not sure, however, whether the available lodging would be sufficient for a fly-in of the scope we had at G's.

Texoma is a great recreation lake, sort of an inland sea with red water.

Agree with most of the comments above.

Couple of pictures from Cedar Mills should be attached.

:rolleyes:

Do you know how many rooms/cabins they have, Spike?

Too Far for me, next one i go to a get together I'm flying the warior and 10 hour is not in my range.i would do 6 posably 7 hours. Can we find somewhere closer to the east it would be appreciated, Thanks Dave G.

Needs to be in Mid-America. Even Ontario, CA is a stretch for our Texas friends. I would suggest earlier in the spring.... :)

I sorta think of Cedar Mills as a regional fly-in kind of place, too far south to be the true central place.

As far as I am concerned, someone needs to show me someplace better-suited than Gaston's. FWIW, that weather was way hotter than is seasonal.

But earlier would be better by most any measure (except, of course, greater weather risk).

Heck, let's all meet at Diana and Tom's place!

bbchien said:
Needs to be in Mid-America. Even Ontario, CA is a stretch for our Texas friends. I would suggest earlier in the spring.... :)

This one is not exactly Mid-America, but may also be an alternative.

Folks in Cincinnati used to fly down here to play golf....

http://www.airnav.com/airport/2I3

SCCutler said:
As far as I am concerned, someone needs to show me someplace better-suited than Gaston's. FWIW, that weather was way hotter than is seasonal.
But earlier would be better by most any measure (except, of course, greater weather risk).

Yea, it's not normally that hot at Gaston's that time of year. Last year it was cooler with a BUNCH of storms. I'm thinking we need to have someone else besides Chip be in charge of weather. ;)

SCCutler said:
Heck, let's all meet at Diana and Tom's place!
:hairraise:

(Just when I was thinking of retiring as social director)

Hmm - that Cedar Mills place looks even more awesome by the pictures posted by Spike. I'm thinking its a good place for a fly-in. Its not that far from Gastons, and it's in the middle of the country. Like - smack dab in the middle of the country.

The only way I could see something being more central is if it were in Central Kansas :)

Last edited:
look what i found. an old gastons thread to resurect.

Michael said:
look what i found. an old gastons thread to resurect.

Gee thanks. But what would we bring/need/eat/ to Cedar Key? What route would we take and what meds to bring?

Hey its near Fuh Wuth!

Steve said:
Sounds good to me!

Aw man, that's a long way... Heck, I'd fly right over Gaston's on the way there... I don't know if I can justify that much flying expense.

Unless, that is, Chip is going to be there giving rides... :D

For those used to Gaston's' runway, 3T0 will feel like JFK- trees on one end, wide-open lake on the other. There is the one tree at the end to give a little "goal-post" effect, and the 9-27 orientation ensures that you're always crosswind.

I'd sure save money flying there- flight time from ADS, in a Bonanza- about 20 minutes.

Back