60.8 KB · Views: 47
  • ActionSat6.JPG
    ActionSat6.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 67
  • ActionSat7.JPG
    ActionSat7.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 68
Steve,

Thanks for taking time during the festivities to post the pictures. I'm disappointed I couldn't come.

If you have the time how about telling us who goes with which picture. The only one I'm even half way sure is Ken in the Pitts.

Who's in the formation?

Thanks,

Joe

Did Kath overload on airplanes?..or was she standing in the middle of the runway when she shouldn't have?

Here's a little article I wrote for the EAA 1252 newsletter. Look forward to hearing from others.

Gary Gembala
N398SA

Attachments

• GAstons small.doc
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
Steve said:
23 planes on the grounds Friday.

A few pics of the festivities...

N729 is listed as U. S. Government. Who was flying her?
N300 is listed as Texas Skymasters. Which Texan???
N21198 listed as Cavenaugh Aviation. Who am de pilot?
N5288T listed as G & S Air adventures. " " " " ?
N69LW looks like it's steaking just sittin' there.

Thanks to all for the photos.

HR

OH Flier said:
Here's a little article I wrote for the EAA 1252 newsletter. Look forward to hearing from others.

Gary Gembala
N398SA

Thanks, Gary; nicely done(and flown).

HR

Down to 3 holdouts for a Monday departure.

Many left early for wx avoidance this morning.

Just a few pics today. Lot of memories.

Other attendees may feel free to comment on the planes in the pics. I'm afraid I'm not very good matching names to planes. The last photo is Chip's final low pass in the Extra 300 on departure, though.:rofl:

Attachments

• ActionSun1.JPG
    ActionSun1.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 29
  • ActionSun2.JPG
    ActionSun2.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 27
  • ActionSun3.JPG
    ActionSun3.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 40
I'll make a stab at it, but any attendees should feel free to correct/comment on the planes.

Friday 1. The turbine C206 (Soloy conversion) amphibian belongs to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The pilot told me he and his observer had just finished another duck count (big part of the economy in eastern AR). They spent Thursday night at Gaston's Resort and left early on Friday.

Friday 2. The green plane with yellow tips is my IAR 823. Enjoyed offering rides (and getting a few takers!) to anyone wanting one. Someone commented "What is a Commie plane doing at a Pilots of America fly -in?" Maintaining strict discipline among the peasants, of course!

Friday 3. Owner/pilot of the Extra (C. Gibbons) demanded a perfect score from the judges upon arrival. Unbeknownst to him, all the judges from last year are now in the witness protection program.

Friday 4. Mr Ibold's Pitts, which was probably the most uncomfortable ride for the distance flown (JAX).

Friday 5. Extra 300 owner/pilot trying to find the runway.

Friday 6. Mike Andrews' Piper PA28-235 Dakota. Chock full of hi-tech electronic surveillance equipment. Not sure what he was surveilling.

Friday 7. A really pretty brand spanking new C-182 that I don't think was part of "our" fly-in, but was practicing landings at Gaston's with a CFI in the right seat. The lengths some people will go to try to get an invite...

Saturday 1. The next airport downstream from Gaston's (Valley) was hosting a Thorp/T-18 Fly-in and Formation School. They used Gaston's for a practice audience.

Saturday 2. A Piper Pacer taxiing for departure after a stopover for lunch.

Saturday 3. Ed Guthrie's really nice Mooney returning from a local sortie.

Saturday 4. Ed Fredrick in the front seat. Chip Gibbons in the back seat. Pre-takeoff discussion of where the Sic Sac is stowed.

Saturday 5. Twin Beech (For Sale!) making a low approach then departing. Not sure of the owner. Landing on a grass strip often requires close inspection, apparently.

Saturday 6. Katherine Rawlins and Chip Gibbons. Katherine's final flight of the day was in Chip's Extra after flying in from ANC via MCI and Lance Fisher's Baron. I think she was pleased.

Saturday 7. Katherine's response after hearing she won the greatest distance travelled ot the 2006 fly-in (2595.6nm, great circle route).

Sunday 1. Greg Bockleman's C-190 (w/engine upgrade). Greg and Chip and Diana flew daily all day every day during daylight hours from dawn to dusk providing rides in a some rather unique airplanes. One day I may be allowed in the queue.

Sunday 2. A Cessna 195? in for the Sunday brunch. Greg, help me out here.

Sunday 3. Previous comment applies. :)))

Areeda said:
Steve,

Thanks for taking time during the festivities to post the pictures. I'm disappointed I couldn't come.

If you have the time how about telling us who goes with which picture. The only one I'm even half way sure is Ken in the Pitts.

Who's in the formation?

Thanks,

Joe

Attachments

• USFW.JPG
    USFW.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
OH Flier said:

Gary Gembala
N398SA
Gary, very nice article! Thank you for sharing it here. Your photos are wonderful too! As soon as Chip gets us set up to post our pictures I hope you will add yours.

Steve said:
Sunday 2. A Cessna 195? in for the Sunday brunch. Greg, help me out here.
That would be Larry Nelson's Cessna 195. Larry was hoping to fly his Pietenpol, but he had problems with the engine a few days ago.

Back