Gas stations need to go metric

The only trick I've seen in person, so to speak, is the price changing if you buy certain things. You can watch it happen on the little displays next to the fuel grade. Usually $10 car washes.

Yeah thats between the sign and the pump, not the pump and receipt. If they were comparing receipt to sign without considering the pump and the fine print, well, they're 80%ers.

And you will always be able to walk into a pub and order a pint. That will NEVER change. :D

As God intended.

Never, ever order a half pint.

The US should switch to metric for everything, since it makes way more sense. But forgive me if I don't hold my breath...

If God had wanted us to use the metric system, he would have given us ten fingers!

We spend summers in Sweden so I've learned quite a bit about US vs European gasoline prices. In the US the price of crude oil is the major component of gasoline prices. Compared to the rest of the (western) world, taxes are a subcomponent. In Europe taxes are the major component so the swings in oil prices have a lesser affect on the price at the pump.

Based on relatively current data, a gallon of gas in Sweden costs USD $8.73/gallon.

Now we know why Sven and Olie moved to Minnesota so long ago... :lol:

Seriously, why in the world do people put up with taxes like that?

Well, and I'm going to use Finland because that's where the wife's family is from, it's variable. Should we move there in a couple years:

Our kids would get excellent primary schooling. Indeed they have one of the best educational systems in the world.

Healthcare is excellent. Not only that, but there is a focus on generating positive results. (my SIL is a pediatric doc there)

You actually have to learn to drive to get your license (saying on the rally circuit: if you want to win, employ a Finn)

Excellent vacation time.

The kids would be paid to attend college. The stipend isn't much, but the tuition is covered too.

A couple of other things: Sauna & Koskenkorva.

So it's variable by what you place more value on Jay. We're leaning towards it because of the vacation and benefits for the kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, and I'm going to use Finland because that's where the wife's family is from, it's variable. Should we move there in a couple years:

Our kids would get excellent primary schooling. Indeed they have one of the best educational systems in the world.

Healthcare is excellent. Not only that, but there is a focus on generating positive results. (my SIL is a pediatric doc there)

You actually have to learn to drive to get your license (saying on the rally circuit: if you want to win, employ a Finn)

Excellent vacation time.

The kids would be paid to attend college. The stipend isn't much, but the tuition is covered too.

A couple of other things: Sauna & Koskenkorva.

So it's variable by what you place more value on Jay. We're leaning towards it because of the vacation and benefits for the kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who pays for all this "free" stuff?

The US should switch to metric for everything, since it makes way more sense. But forgive me if I don't hold my breath...

It's pathetic, really... especially the comment I hear most when I extol the virtues of base ten measuring: "I hate doin them conversions!" as if going metric weren't the solution to that problem. America's collective head seems to get pointier and softer every day.
Sigh...

Who pays for all this "free" stuff?

Here is an exercise for any one who wants to compare what we pay in taxes to other countries.

add up all the taxes we pay including excise taxes on booze tires, gas and such, then add the cost of your health insurance, car insurance, union dues, tolls on highways.
then see what % of your income you really pay in comparison to the EU countries.

I've always wondered why gas is sold in 9/10th a gallon. Is it just to make you think you're paying less ($3.68 vs $3.69) or a left over from when gas was $ .129 a gallon?
Scotland prices last week were a pound 47 to a pound 53 per liter for diesel or roughly $8.94 a gallon. The only benefit was a car that got about 35 MPG.

The quality of life overcomes the cost, the bottom line to them is it's worth it. You don't see them running around scared like here. It doesn't really cost them extra because the services and infrastructure they receive and don't have to pay for in other ways.

I've always wondered why gas is sold in 9/10th a gallon. Is it just to make you think you're paying less ($3.68 vs $3.69) or a left over from when gas was $ .129 a gallon?
Scotland prices last week were a pound 47 to a pound 53 per liter for diesel or roughly $8.94 a gallon. The only benefit was a car that got about 35 MPG.

That, same as Earl Schieb painting any car any color for $29.95.

Back