Gas - how low can it go?

The spark ev has a 0-60 of 7.9 seconds. Very respectable for a small car. It has 141hp and 327 ft lbs of torque. That torque gets you across the intersection before most other cars.
Check your facts before you quote incorrect facts.

Don't be a hater. Try a EV before you start bashing them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It is amazing what happens if the free market is allowed to work. And it's worked now in spite of our leaders. Increased supply equals lower prices, I don't care how it happens. I'm thinking oil will settle into the $40 to $60 per bbl range after a year or two as Opec (Saudi Arabia) becomes satisfied it has done as much damage to shale as it can.

I suspect they're trying to damage Putin's economy and shale is just collateral damage.

Regular car gas ranges from $1.37 to $1.55 around here

93 octane, 0E = $2.15

Kennett is still $2.97 for 100LL. My home base, CGI, is $3.64 w/my discount for having an account, $3.89 transient price.

The spark ev has a 0-60 of 7.9 seconds. Very respectable for a small car. It has 141hp and 327 ft lbs of torque. That torque gets you across the intersection before most other cars.

You two have different outlooks. You're happy beating the other guy through the intersection before he blows your doors off; Sooner is talking about performance over a distance longer than 50 feet, which is how most people define performance.

I've been known to run along beside someone who didn't want to be passed for a while before running off and leaving them. Beating someone across an intersection? If that's all you got, it's all you got . . .

You two have different outlooks. You're happy beating the other guy through the intersection before he blows your doors off; Sooner is talking about performance over a distance longer than 50 feet, which is how most people define performance.

I've been known to run along beside someone who didn't want to be passed for a while before running off and leaving them. Beating someone across an intersection? If that's all you got, it's all you got . . .
When I test drove a Nissan Leaf, way back in 2013, I was amazed (and pleased) to find that it would blow away everyone off the line. The instant, linear acceleration of an EV must be experienced to be appreciated.

Merging on the freeway was no different than any other car. Not as quick as my V8 Lincoln MKs, but quicker than my V8 F150.

In fact, the most amazing thing about driving the Leaf was how...normal...it felt. Other than the silence, and the astounding acceleration off the line, it felt and drove like any other small car.

As to your point about acceleration beyond 50 feet, you'll need a Tesla to do that, for now.

EVs are the perfect vehicles for those of us in the Sunbelt, IMHO. Up North, where the cold kills batteries (and your soul, and your will to live, and...), not so much.

Just like a plane, it's all about your mission. Lectric fits some people's needs, doesn't fit others. Just like a 152 is a great plane for some people, others actually need a Baron. I'm happy to let you drive a Volt or a Bolt or whatever. Neither they nor Leaf fits my needs.

EVs have their place. I'm more than happy to let folks drive whatever they like. It's the gamesmanship surrounding the tax breaks for them that's always been utter BS. Want an EV? Pay full price for it. It's your decision and your money.

EVs have their place. I'm more than happy to let folks drive whatever they like. It's the gamesmanship surrounding the tax breaks for them that's always been utter BS. Want an EV? Pay full price for it. It's your decision and your money.

X2. Government subsidies are awful on this stuff. Taxing the ICE-versions even more to pay for it is just as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just buy a couple of these.

Like this one in my truck with 75' of hose?
1e6aa9c92b7cf6a2cd949209f110306e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$ 0.68 in Grand Rapids, Michigan on Wednesday!

EVs are the perfect vehicles for those of us in the Sunbelt, IMHO. Up North, where the cold kills batteries (and your soul, and your will to live, and...), not so much.

I'm curious Jay...

If people down south are so full of life, why do most of them not know how to work?

Seriously.

I know you agree with me on this topic. We've discussed it before (like we have the term "Southern Clean"...another thing we agree on). So why do northerners so outwork southerners if their soul and desire to live has been killed.

We've both lived and worked in both "hemispheres" and have experienced the stark difference. Do you know why it is?

Last edited:

I Googled Chevy Spark with C&D and 11 is what they posted, but maybe it wasn't the EV, I duuno. Either way, 7.9seconds isn't burning up anything through an intersection unless you're used to taking on low-hp economy cars or heavy barges. I'm not bashing EV's, but if you're going to pretend like anything not made by Tesla is going to be blowing others' doors off, it's going to take more than the Spark, Volt, Bolt, Prius, or Leaf. Hell, many factory 1/2 ton trucks will run low 7-second 0-60 times, not to mention supercharged and turbocharged trucks getting low 6-second times.

Don't make the current lineup of EVs out to be anything other than economy cars, because outside of Tesla, they aren't. Give it another 4-5 years and they may get some models out there that aren't hideous and boring.

Last edited:
Back