Gas - how low can it go?

Gerhardt

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gerhardt
We're at $1.45 now. I wish I had a way to store a lifetime supply at this price.

Figure pretty darn low for two years, certainly the rest of this year. Then oil may float back up to mid-$40 a barrel or so. Some exporters are gonna be hurt, extremely so - Venezuela, for sure, is circling the drain; None of the "majors" in export are gonna want cut production, not for a while.

just my opinion. I could be wrong

My FBO (and probably many others) offers pre-purchased fuel where you can buy a 1,000 gallon tab and drink from it at your own pace, sometimes even comes with a discount, too. But I'll just keep waiting to do that until prices here to get below $4. :rolleyes2:

My last tank of 100LL was $2.95! :>)

My FBO (and probably many others) offers pre-purchased fuel where you can buy a 1,000 gallon tab and drink from it at your own pace, sometimes even comes with a discount, too. But I'll just keep waiting to do that until prices here to get below $4. :rolleyes2:

Sorry, I meant auto fuel. Shoot I'd buy 1000 gal in a minute if I had a place to store it.

Sorry, I meant auto fuel. Shoot I'd buy 1000 gal in a minute if I had a place to store it.

You'd probably have to have some sort of stabilizer to keep it "fresh".

:redface: Hahaha! I feel like an idiot for not questioning that price but I was just going to take your word for it!

Could just buy crude and gasoline futures to hedge your purchase :)

Fly more till the price starts to rise.

Some analysts are predicting auto gas prices could go as low as $1.00 per gallon before it bottoms out. (source of information from NPR radio)

The real question is why was it so high to begin with the last few years.

Also, thanks to Jerry Brown (he should be wearing an orange jumpsuit thank you) we still get to pay jacked up prices to to is "carbon tax." God I violently hate that guy and the horse he rode in on. I take it back. I'm fine with the horse.

The real question is why was it so high to begin with the last few years.

Also, thanks to Jerry Brown (he should be wearing an orange jumpsuit thank you) we still get to pay jacked up prices to to is "carbon tax." God I violently hate that guy and the horse he rode in on. I take it back. I'm fine with the horse.

Gas jumped a few years ago because the oil co's realized they could raise prices and we'd keep buying gas. Seems it doubled in price in about a month,then climbed steadily afterwards.

Surprise! Despite their claims of higher cost, BP reported record profits that year, and for a couple after. We are now inching back down to where it should be. Around here, that's $1.599 but a half hour away it's $1.489 or less. Prices in the two towns have been the same since I moved here last fall , , ,

I thought there was a oil shortage? Suddenly we have too much...

I never thought I would say this, but I wish gas prices would go up a bit.

The devastation to the economy, in an arc stretching from Houston to San Antonio, is pretty amazing. We are talking 80,000 oil workers fired, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. The trickle down effect has wiped out car dealers, restaurants, motels, convenience stores, theaters -- every business those guys (and their families) supported financially.

What makes it super devastating is the speed with which it happened. One minute, they were building new housing and businesses to support these guys, and the next day (seemingly) it was all over. There are half-built motels up thataway that the owners and construction workers literally walked away from, practically mid-brick. People are in absolute shock in that part of Texas.

Luckily Texas is enormous, with an overall vibrant economy, and has seen these oil industry swings before -- but that doesn't make it any easier for this generation of (mostly) young folks who have quite suddenly lost everything.

I also worry about the impact this will have on EVs. I was close to pulling the trigger on buying my daughter an electric Nissan Leaf, for her commute to A&M, but with gas at $1.45 and falling, there is no way to justify it. IMHO, the future of automobiles is electric, and this sudden collapse in oil prices will badly harm that industry.

Now, if only avgas would come down out of the stratosphere. We are still paying $3.95/gallon at my home 'drome...and my local source for unpolluted mogas has dried up.

EVs are an interesting concept, but totally impractical to recharge. Think about the great unwashed who don't fly. Now, drop your daughter off at college a few hundred miles away and go home. How do you recharge? Currently, even in a $100K Tesla, that trip will take a couple of days. Or get in a gas-powered car and it requires an afternoon, plus whatever time you spend carrying stuff inside, rearranging furniture and shopping for things you didn't bring.

THAT is what is keeping EV solidly in the "toy" category, even more so than an airplane or a boat.

EVs are an interesting concept, but totally impractical to recharge. Think about the great unwashed who don't fly. Now, drop your daughter off at college a few hundred miles away and go home. How do you recharge? Currently, even in a $100K Tesla, that trip will take a couple of days. Or get in a gas-powered car and it requires an afternoon, plus whatever time you spend carrying stuff inside, rearranging furniture and shopping for things you didn't bring.

THAT is what is keeping EV solidly in the "toy" category, even more so than an airplane or a boat.

You know nothing about Teslas.

And it shows.

Nor do you know anything about charging stations located on campus at Texas A&M.

aTm Charging Stations

It is amazing what happens if the free market is allowed to work. And it's worked now in spite of our leaders. Increased supply equals lower prices, I don't care how it happens. I'm thinking oil will settle into the $40 to $60 per bbl range after a year or two as Opec (Saudi Arabia) becomes satisfied it has done as much damage to shale as it can.

Yeah! The mods brought the SZ back! Thank you Mods!

And it shows.

Nor do you know anything about charging stations located on campus at Texas A&M.

aTm Charging Stations

How long does it take to recharge a depleted battery?

I'll bet it's more than the 5 minutes it takes to fill a Cadillac.

And it shows.

aTm Charging Stations

That's great, but it's a significant detour for me between Alabama and North Carolina. There is a charging station at the mall near Auburn Univ., but that's 30 miles into the trip. Can the car recharge from nearly-depleted to Full in 5 minutes? Twice in one day?

How well would an EV work for my brother, when he lived in Kansas and drove 14 hours home to Georgia to visit? Does winter weather near 0°F mess with battery life?

Make them charge quick, or hot-swap batteries (with credit for partial charge remaining), and EVs may become practical. Until then, I'll keep burning gas, just like the other 99.5% of my fellow countrymen.

EVs are an interesting concept, but totally impractical to recharge. Think about the great unwashed who don't fly. Now, drop your daughter off at college a few hundred miles away and go home. How do you recharge? Currently, even in a $100K Tesla, that trip will take a couple of days.

What?? No.

I've driven from San Francisco up to Seattle in a Tesla Model S in a day (+800 miles). It's really not a big deal.

I've had to stop 7 times that day instead of maybe 5 times, but I've never waited for the charge to complete. Every time it was waiting for me. People don't realize how long they stop for an average bathroom break / coffee / meal.

We can go 800 miles in the Altima with three stops, toe for gas, one for gas & a meal. Each stop one pumps gas, one walks the dog. Seven stops?? YGBSM. No thanks.

95% of her driving is <70 mile trips. About 85% of mine are less than 60 miles round trip.

EVs are perfect for this sort of driving.

Could you get by with ONLY an EV? Nope. But we currently have 5 vehicles, any one of which could do the rare longer distance hauls.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

While EVs are not so great for long distant traveling, as Jay pointed out above, they are very good for daily commuting. I work at a power plant that is out in the boonies. Most of the workers commute 50 to 100 miles round trip each day. We have some charging stations at work so the EVs can charge while the owners are working. For a commuting situation like this they are great. I'm sure the EV owners at work have another car for their long distant travels.

3.01 for 100LL self serve at KDTO. That means we pay about $3.30 for full service.

It should be about $2.50........

I've driven from San Francisco up to Seattle in a Tesla Model S in a day (+800 miles). It's really not a big deal.

I drove it once in a Toyota Camry.

I've had to stop 7 times that day

I had to stop twice that day.

People don't realize how long they stop for an average bathroom break / coffee / meal.

15 minutes max gets me gas and food at a truck stop. How long are your stops?

We can go 800 miles in the Altima with three stops, toe for gas, one for gas & a meal. Each stop one pumps gas, one walks the dog. Seven stops?? YGBSM. No thanks.

Actually a Model S can do 800 miles in 3 stops if you really want - it would just take longer than making 7 stops (due to the way charging works).

But more importantly, how many times a year do you make a 800-mile in-a-day trip? If it's 4 times+ a year, you sure do need a gas vehicle. This is not true for most people.

For the rest of us (me included) it's a tradeoff between making 5 to 10 extra coffee stops a year that, granted, you wouldn't have otherwise made - but it's in a time that you're in "vacation" mode.

But what you get in exchange is not needing to make a 10-minute detour to a gas station 25 to 50 times a year at the time you're in "work" mode.

Until you've driven a ev don't judge them. I had a volt and traded it in for a chevy spark ev.
82 mile range. It's my daily commuter car. It's so great I got one for my wife to drive to work.
When we need to go longer distances we will choose one of our other ten cars or one of our four airplanes.

I call the spark our free car. Chevy had a subsidized lease for $150/ month for three years and California gave us $2500 for leasing the car. It saves me $125/month in gas and costs $60 to charge. So the net cost is almost free for no repair bills for the length of the lease.
When our lease is up I'll get the chevy bolt.
It's so much fun at a light to see someone change lanes because they see a small econo car and they want to blow past you and you effortlessly and quietly blow their doors off through the intersection.

Give one a test drive EV's are amazing.

Ps compare the spark to the leaf. The key thing to watch out is passive/active cooling of the batteries. With active cooling the pack will last a lot longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm based out of KFEP in NW Illinois. We just got a load of 100LL: it came by tanker, of course, from Minniapolis, MN. About 350 miles one way. Aviation fuel will never get close to auto prices, we just don't use enough.

3.01 for 100LL self serve at KDTO. That means we pay about $3.30 for full service.

It should be about $2.50........

To clarify, the club Texag93 and I are in pays $3.30-ish FS. Others are paying $4.10 FS. Our discount is from being a loooong time hangar tenant and flowing many hundreds of gallons a month.

Denton just got a Tesla branded supercharger station.

Avgas here is $3.35 full serve only. Car gas is stuck at $1.599, but super is ~$2.25!!

When our lease is up I'll get the chevy bolt.
It's so much fun at a light to see someone change lanes because they see a small econo car and they want to blow past you and you effortlessly and quietly blow their doors off through the intersection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A Chevy Spark has a 0-60 of 11sec, you're not blowing the doors off of anything but school buses and loaded up 18-wheelers in that ****box, lol. Even the upcoming Bolt is only going to do it in 7 seconds, which puts you there with Accords and non-SHO Taurus. Hope that thrills you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back