Garmin TXi

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Retail starts at $7200 (upgrade or $12k for new) and goes up. Waaay up!

Crazy pricing....they are proud of their equipment.

I would not buy any of this, including an autopilot, until we see what gets released this year. Trio, TruTrak, and Dynon all have big projects in the works which have a huge potential to offer functional units in certificated airplanes.

Crazy pricing....they are proud of their equipment.

It's also crazy good. The smaller G500TXi costs less than the Aspen Pro and about 5 hours less install time. The larger G500TXi costs about the same as the 3 panel Aspen. I think that's why Garmin has the single or twin G5 set-up for an EFIS about half the price of the smaller G500TXi.

Aspen desperately needs to revise their products. The graphics are grainy, their corporate attitude is snotty and arrogant, and need to engineer ways to reduce the install time (like Garmin has done).

Last edited:
I never had Aspen fail on me, but I found that it goes into the big red X at a drop of a hat. Like, if I step on the rudder a bit too hard. The most irritating part is, the device has no partial mode of any kind - it's all or nothing. Why don't you continue indicating altitude and airspeed if your gyros are unsettled? I am flying VFR, I don't care for the horizon line, but I need my airspeed! Idiots! If Garmin does not have this failure mode, it's infinitely superior to Aspen and is well worth the premium (if you can afford it at all).

I never had Aspen fail on me, but I found that it goes into the big red X at a drop of a hat. Like, if I step on the rudder a bit too hard. The most irritating part is, the device has no partial mode of any kind - it's all or nothing. Why don't you continue indicating altitude and airspeed if your gyros are unsettled? I am flying VFR, I don't care for the horizon line, but I need my airspeed! Idiots! If Garmin does not have this failure mode, it's infinitely superior to Aspen and is well worth the premium (if you can afford it at all).

Aspen was an innovator years ago, but they have stopped. Nothing new. Over-priced SVT and AOA are not innovation. More innovative solutions have passed them.

Competition is a good thing - the customer benefits.

Aspen was an innovator years ago, but they have stopped. Nothing new. Over-priced SVT and AOA are not innovation. More innovative solutions have passed them.

Competition is a good thing - the customer benefits.

Well said.

Back