Garmin SD Card special?

DaveAlexander

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Anyone have the particulars on the type of SD card needed for the GTN 750? I have one card from the unit, but my laptop (which can read the thing) wants to format it. That's going to be a problem when I try to use the card to download an updated database to put in the GPS.

Are the cards SDHC, SDXC? Custom formatted somehow so you HAVE to buy them from Garmin at a huge markup?

Anyone have the particulars on the type of SD card needed for the GTN 750? I have one card from the unit, but my laptop (which can read the thing) wants to format it. That's going to be a problem when I try to use the card to download an updated database to put in the GPS.

Are the cards SDHC, SDXC? Custom formatted somehow so you HAVE to buy them from Garmin at a huge markup?

First post.....

Welcome to POA... :cheers:

As for your question..... Knowing Garmin.. I say... Yup it is propriatery stuff so you get to pay BIG time...:(

I got two cards with my 650 and 750 when they were installed, I may have paid for them, I don't remember.:dunno:

Called Garmin. The cards sold by them are covered under TSO, and are thereby expensive, as expected. I don't know the actual cost.

But they are generic SDHC 2gb cards. You can use any card you wish, although 2gb cards are hard to find in stores any more. If you do choose to use non-TO cards and crash, expect to be pilloried for doing so. Best plan is probably to update the unit with the card then take the card home in preparation for downloading the next edition.

Called Garmin. The cards sold by them are covered under TSO, and are thereby expensive, as expected. I don't know the actual cost.

But they are generic SDHC 2gb cards. You can use any card you wish, although 2gb cards are hard to find in stores any more. If you do choose to use non-TO cards and crash, expect to be pilloried for doing so. Best plan is probably to update the unit with the card then take the card home in preparation for downloading the next edition.

I am loving experimental planes and Dynon stuff more and more..

What you need is the little hickey-doo to plug the card into and plug the hickey=doo into the USB port of the laptop. I have one, but my techincal expertise won't allow me to think of the name of it right now and it's raining, so I'm not walking out to the truck. :D It looks like a thumbdrive, but the SD card plugs into it. :D

What you need is the little hickey-doo to plug the card into and plug the hickey=doo into the USB port of the laptop. I have one, but my techincal expertise won't allow me to think of the name of it right now and it's raining, so I'm not walking out to the truck. :D It looks like a thumbdrive, but the SD card plugs into it. :D

A card reader???? :dunno: :D

Can you write to it? Do a trial to find out.
Very often, depending on your computer operating system, it sees a file (usually extended with .dll or .aspx in the case of Windows) that attempts to read that file to the exclusion of anything else on the card/disk or amount of space available and refuses to proceed further unless that file is removed (or renamed -- especially the extension). Maybe you need to try a different computer -- especially one with a different operating system or O/S version/type

Back