Garmin pricing confusion

thito01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tony T
Just getting back into flying after about 5 years and the databases and software pricing from Garmin has my head spinning. I have never used an EFB before. I am IFR and plan on flying IFR. My aircraft does have a GTX330ES and one GNS430W.

I am an android user and I like the looks for Garmin Pilot for my EFB (but open to discussing changing that choice, but I am not open to moving from an android to an iPad.)
For Garmin Pilot, it looks like I need both Garmin Pilot Standard and Garmin Pilot Upgrade. (Am I reading the description's right?)
It also looks like I really should add a Flight Stream 210 to the aircraft.

As to the GNS430W, it looks like I don't need the OnePaks or PilotPaks as they are geared toward aircraft with multiple Garmin devices and I only have one GNS430W. So, my best option is the US Database Bundle for the first year followed by considering just the nav updates in later years.

So, I need three subscriptions:
Garmin Pilot Standard $79.99
Garmin Pilot Upgrade $79.99
US Database Bundle $449.00 (with maybe converting to nav-only next year)
Plus, I need the Garmin chip programmer to replace my 10+ year old skybound.

Am I understanding everything correctly?

Thanks,
Tony T.

You are in an EFB world with 90% of pilots using a IPAD. The last I heard from people trying Pilot with Droid they weren’t very happy and Garmin was not much help.

Standard and Premium Upgrade subscriptions for full function Garmin Pilot, yes. A separate FlyGarmin data account to update avionics, yes.

I get just the navdata for $300. Terrain, safetaxi, and obstacles are included with pilot on your tablet.

I'm an android user....my phone and the tablet I'm typing this on are samsungs... garmin pilot on android sucks. I carry two 8" lenovo tablets and on most 1 hr+ flights one will crash and I have to use the backup. For some reason once it crashes the tablet has to be shut down for a while before it will work. On the way home from Texas they both crashed. Thankfully i brought a work iPad that I loaded GP on just in case. Pilot runs much better on ios and has more features. Database updates don't work well on android, and flight planning is wonky. I'll be buying an ipad mini as soon as the new model comes out.

I'll probably see if I can talk foreflight into another trial, but database concierge with the fs510 will probably be enough to keep me with pilot.

Ifly is the best efb on android. Stable, simple, and cheap. I kept my subscription for when I'm flying the club plane. Build a stratux or buy a stratus or the like. Only downside is you won't be able to send flight plans to your 430, which is a pretty big downside, but you enjoy spinning the crap out of those clicky knobs, right?

Back