Garmin Pilot On Android

ColeThePilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ColeThePilot
Hey guys! Has anyone used Garmin Pilot on Android? I'm a Foreflight user on the iPad myself, but I don't really care for Apple products and want to pick up a new Android tablet. Personally I love Foreflight...it's amazing in every way imaginable and it's made my flying experience so much better. Anyone have an Android tablet setup that they could share and compare to Foreflight?

Last edited:
Hey guys! Has anyone used Garmin Pilot on Android? I'm a Foreflight user on the iPad myself, but I don't really care for Apple products and want to pick up a new Android tablet. Personally I love Foreflight...it's amazing in every way imaginable and it's made my flying experience so much better. Anyone have an Android tablet setup that they could share and compare to Foreflight?

Check out this thread.

I use a 32GB Nexus 7 with Garmin Pilot. It works pretty well. I don't use FF myself, but I have used it on a friend's ipad. It probably has a few extra features. One I know of is being able to write on airport diagrams. I know you can highlight your assigned taxiways on FF, but not on GP. I'm sure there are other features that I don't know about.

I figured a $150 tablet was worth a try and haven't had the urge to upgrade to an ipad yet, but it has only been about 6 months.

I've used both for quite awhile. GP user interface is still more cumbersome than FF. They also don't overlay approach plates onto charts. The Androud version of GP lags behind the iPad version, but I think they're trying to catch up.

The last update (4.0.2) has been terrific! Everything is stable, traffic is more consistent, and some of the new features are very nice.

But, yeah, that's all available over on "the other thread".

yes, I use GP on my android tablet. like it.

Cole, you should also look at some of the other available Android apps, especially including
  • Avare - For a completely free app looks incerdibly good.
  • AvNav - a recent entry but looks real good. A lot of the features in ForeFlight
  • FlightPro (formerly called Avilution) - an early entry into the Android EFB arena with a decent core of users
  • iFly GPS - they originally competed with the Garmin 296/396/496 small handhelds so they've been around. They still support their hardware solution but recently entered the iPad and Android field with apps that look and feel exactly like their stand-alone solution.

Those are in alphabetical order so I don't show my preference among them, although I listed them because I think they are all good. The good news for you is all of the paid ones have free trials so you can see which you like best (I've noticed that preference is less about bells and whistles features than about a UI that feels right)

BTW, honorable mention goes to the free app from FltPlan.com. It's has some adherents and looks pretty decent but I have had issues with its stability.

The thing that GP and FF add to the above mentioned apps is an ADS-B interface.
I don't think you can mesh that with Avare, AvNav, etc.. (something to consider)
Also, you need a Garmin GDL-39 to interface with GP vs Stratus for FF

no ADS-B? I personally like Avare

The thing that GP and FF add to the above mentioned apps is an ADS-B interface.
I don't think you can mesh that with Avare, AvNav, etc.. (something to consider)
Also, you need a Garmin GDL-39 to interface with GP vs Stratus for FF

no ADS-B? I personally like Avare
All of the apps I listed connect with ADS-B units. Obviously not all the units available since the GDL and Stratus are proprietary to Garmin and Foreflight respectively (although one of the ones I mentioned found a way to read the Stratus I stream; but it's subject to change if there's a firmware upgrade.)

Back