Garmin Pilot now 3D synthetic Vision (iOS)

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
new update now includes synthetic vision on the iPad software.
http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2014/02/...synthetic-vision-capability.html#.UwYPb_ldUSg

"today announced an updated version of the Garmin Pilot application for the iPad and iPhone featuring synthetic vision as an option for premium subscribers. 3D Vision incorporates GPS-derived airspeed, altitude, and vertical speed overlaid on rich 3D topographic landscape."

Last edited:
If Garmin Pilot doesn't update their Android version, Avare is going to beat them at their own game.

I saw this with the announcement:

With the purchase of a GDL 39 3D, SVX is included in all Garmin Pilot subscriptions.

Does this mean if I buy a GDL 39 3D I can get synthetic vision free with a basic VFR package?

I saw this with the announcement:

With the purchase of a GDL 39 3D, SVX is included in all Garmin Pilot subscriptions.

Does this mean if I buy a GDL 39 3D I can get synthetic vision free with a basic VFR package?

Yes. Syn Vis in Garmin Pilot is unlocked if you're connected to a GDL 39 3D, regardless of whether you have purchased the IFR or VFR premium upgrade.

Maybe time to switch from FF. Looks pretty sweet.

I got to use it as a passenger the other day with my new GDL 39 3D. I didn't have time to play with it much but it certainly looked nearly as good/accurate as the full G1000 implementation. Except of course the tapes displaying ground speed and GPS altitude.
Also forgot to check if it was providing magnetic heading from the GDL 39 or just GPS track.

Is it completely useless without a GDL 39, or will the synvis still show you terrain without the attitude info?

Is it completely useless without a GDL 39, or will the synvis still show you terrain without the attitude info?

Yes, it will still display with any GPS unit but without pitch and roll as long as you're paying for the premium level subscription.

Just popped for the Premium VFR package (wanted SafeTaxi). Wonder if they'd refund my $50 if I bought a GDL 39 3D? :)

If you have the GDL 3D unit, would you be so kind as to let me know the vertical height of the unit from base to the top of the antenna and also the max width and length of the base? Also, what is the charging connector - is it mini-USB or something proprietary to Garmin?

I have a Stratus II currently and am considering a swap but would like to simply place the GDL in the current Stratus mount location.

Thanks in advance!

What's wrong with the Stratus II?

Back