Garmin Pilot Nacrolepsy

Marauder

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Marauder
I posted this question on another thread and no one answered. Before calling Garmin, thought I would try one more time. I have both ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot on an iPad 2. All the revs are current.

When I run ForeFlight, the app stays running the whole flight. However, when I run Garmin Pilot, it always falls asleep during the flight. I have the "do not sleep" setting set correctly in the settings area.

I am certainly moving faster than 40 knots in flight. The only thing I can think of is something with the VPN settings that I use to access my work systems (email, etc). These are not active when I am using it for these apps, but wonder if something in the security (forced password to unlock, etc) is not interfering with Pilot but not ForeFlight.

Any ideas?

Not helpful, I know, but a data point for others: Garmin Pilot doesn't seem to have this problem in the Android version of the app.

I don't mean to be a nit-picker, but the spelling mistake in the title was just too good to pass up.

It's narcolepsy, not nacrolepsy.

And perhaps this is why Narco went out of business?

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

I had some issues with GP and my Nexus 7 going to sleep.

A quick e-mail to Garmin support got an answer the next day. At least on the N7, GP keeps it awake at > 40kts, but I had to set the "sleep" setting to 30 minutes to keep it from sleeping between the wx brief, preflight, taxi, and runup.

Most of my legs are < 1hr, and I always get a couple of screen touches in that time anyway.

I don't mean to be a nit-picker, but the spelling mistake in the title was just too good to pass up.

It's narcolepsy, not nacrolepsy.

And perhaps this is why Narco went out of business?

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Yep, it must have been a Freudian connection since I still have a couple of Narco radios still in my plane and don't want to admit to it. Or more likely, I dozed off while I was typing it... :)

I had some issues with GP and my Nexus 7 going to sleep.

A quick e-mail to Garmin support got an answer the next day. At least on the N7, GP keeps it awake at > 40kts, but I had to set the "sleep" setting to 30 minutes to keep it from sleeping between the wx brief, preflight, taxi, and runup.

Most of my legs are < 1hr, and I always get a couple of screen touches in that time anyway.

Mine falls asleep all the time regardless of whether I am sitting still or cruising along at 155 knots. I thought the app took control of the sleep feature of the operating system. ForeFlight is doing it on the iPad, but no joy with a Garmin Pilot.

Not helpful, I know, but a data point for others: Garmin Pilot doesn't seem to have this problem in the Android version of the app.

You are correct. My version of Garmin Pilot on the Nexus 7 performs like it is supposed to do. Something is amiss, but I have no clue what.

You are correct. My version of Garmin Pilot on the Nexus 7 performs like it is supposed to do. Something is amiss, but I have no clue what.

The ghost of Steve Jobs is haunting your iPad, you must have turned off autocorrect.

The ghost of Steve Jobs is haunting your iPad, you must have turned off autocorrect.

LOL! I am about to call in an exorcist to cast out the evil demon.

Back