Garmin Pilot for iPad - where to find instructions?

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I downloaded the new Garmin Pilot for iPad, but I can't figure out how to use it.

So far I haven't tried it in a plane, but just sitting at home I find that I can't edit a route with any success.

I've looked for a manual or a video showing its use, but I have't found anything on the Garmin website:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=115856

Anybody know where to find instructions?

Last edited:
Did you google the garmin model number? I've done that for a few Garmin items that I was looking at buying used and have always come up with a manual, not necessarily FROM Garmin, but written BY Garmin.

Hope this helps.

The product number seems to be 115856. Googling that doesn't generate many hits. Googling the name of the product "Garmin Pilot" generates a lot of bad hits. I've tried adding specifications like site:garmin.com, and still not found anything like a manual.

The most likely page I've found so far is on Garmin's support pages, but it just isn't helpful:
http://support.garmin.com/support/productSupport/productSupport.faces?productId=115856
Although it does mention "No manuals exist for this product."

From just about any screen in the application there should be a MENU button in the top right corner, press that then go to HELP. There's a 21 page manual.

Also in the HOME->SETTINGS->WHATS NEW IN 4.0 there is some features overview.

This brings to mind one of the real pluses of Foreflight. Their technical support is absolutely as good as it gets. In a previous life I did Technical Support and ran a Technical Support group, so I feel that I know good technical support when I see it.

With Foreflight you go to their blog, click on Tech Support and key in your question. Their goal is to have you an answer in ten minutes. It's never taken any longer than that for me.

I'm not saying Garmin does NOT have such good Tech Support, but I know for a fact that Foreflight DOES.

In addition, there is no need for instructions in order to use Foreflight. It is very intuitive and easy to learn. I had a few setup questions, but normal operation required no manual. I spent twenty years in all different roles within the HMI software industry and we said that the best manual was one that you never had to use. If software is designed to be adequately intuitive, you won't resort to the documentation very often.

It might sound like I'm a Foreflight salesman, but I'm not. They have a very good product with a very good group of people behind it and I've been impressed.

All that said, I will be downloading and evaluating the Garmin free trial version. Garmin has lots of GPS savvy, so it's hard to imagine that their IPad product is not good. My Foreflight subscription runs out in July. If the Garmin product fits my needs better I will use it instead.

Last edited:
This brings to mind one of the real pluses of Foreflight. Their technical support is absolutely as good as it gets. In a previous life I did Technical Support and ran a Technical Support group, so I feel that I know good technical support when I see it.

With Foreflight you go to their blog, click on Tech Support and key in your question. Their goal is to have you an answer in ten minutes. It's never taken any longer than that for me.

I'm not saying Garmin does NOT have such good Tech Support, but I know for a fact that Foreflight DOES.

All that said, I will be downloading and evaluating their free trial version. Garmin has lots of GPS savvy, so it's hard to imagine that their IPad product is not good.

The previous version of this called Pilot MyCast or something like that was awful.

No comparison... the old product was poor, but this appears to be totally re-written, new interface, and a much-expanded feature set. 'worth a look.

You want documentation from a modern software development group?

That's so CUTE! ;)

From just about any screen in the application there should be a MENU button in the top right corner, press that then go to HELP. There's a 21 page manual.
Thanks, I didn't notice that, so I gave it a whirl just now. No luck. I just get a blank white page that says "Help failed to load. Please check your internet connection and try again." Even though the internet connection works for everything else, including other parts of Garmin Pilot.

Also in the HOME->SETTINGS->WHATS NEW IN 4.0 there is some features overview.
That helps, thanks.

I downloaded the new Garmin Pilot for iPad, but I can't figure out how to use it.

So far I haven't tried it in a plane, but just sitting at home I find that I can't edit a route with any success.

I've looked for a manual or a video showing its use, but I have't found anything on the Garmin website:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=115856

Anybody know where to find instructions?
I just got it aswell and i figured out that you have to edit the route from the active flightplan screen. Let me know if it works.

Back